Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart connection constantly dropping

• 26-01-2006 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭

my connection is constantly dropping. the best ive connected at so far is 500kbs. it keeps going off and i cant reconnect for ages. it just says cable disconnected. at the moment the speed im connected at is 85kbs. i have upgraded the firmware already but this has not helped.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

Name Value
    Connected true
    Operational Mode G.Dmt.Bis
    State Showtime
    Tx Bit Rate 605200
    Rx Bit Rate 229500
    Local SNRMargin 7.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 64.0 dB
    Local Tx Power 12.1 dB
    Remote Line Attn 45.5 dB
    Remote SNRMargin 0 dB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

irishpal25 wrote:
    Local SNRMargin 7.0 dB
    Local Line Attn 64.0 dB
    Remote Line Attn 45.5 dB
    Your attenuation reading is a bit on the high side, while the SNR margin is extreme borderline for the Aolynk. Maybe drop one of the admin's on the smart support forum a PM to have your line checked?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 121 ✭✭irishpal25

hmmmm. suppose i better. bet they wont get back to me. they never so lol.
    im rewiring the line in my house on saturday, hopefully that will make some difference. im very confused though as earlier i was downloading files at 60kb/s now they arent budging past 20, but are mainly staying about 6kb/s. hopefully i can get something sorted. im not paying 35 a month for isdn speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 oilfoster

PM me your phone number and I will check your line stats.
    Ciarán

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

In fairness to the Support team in Smart they will try to tweak your line for you so as to stabilise it at the speed it is capable of.

I think that the Smart experiment has shown up that even though a line may pass for bb it does not mean it is capable of 'unlimited' speeds and I suspect that as Eircom increase the speeds available that lots of isps will find this becoming more and more of an issue with their customers. and while Smart are still (regrettably for them I guess) still relatively small enough to deal with customers on a individual basis this will not be the case generally.

My own line does not seem to be capable of more that 5mbs and this can vary on a daily basis:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement