Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Moving up north question

Options
  • 26-01-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭

Looks like I will be working in Co. Down for the next 10/14 months, and have a place to live sorted(ish). I had planned to buy a new motor in the next 2 mths, but put it on hold pending my descision re. work.

My broker said he would change my current policy so it covers me up there during the week,and when home at weekends(looking for more money of course:rolleyes: ).
    If I was to buy up north, is it possible to insure it there?
    Do I have to get a UK liscence, or can I transfer my current one,
    when I move home again do I transfer it back?
    And I exempt from paying VRT if I bring it back down?

This is all I can find on the revenue site:

10. Reliefs and Exemptions
    There are various reliefs and exemptions from VRT. These are described in individual public notices which are available from any VRO. They include exemption which may apply in the case of :
    • transfer of residence
    • transfer of business activity
    • inheritance
    The motor I have in mind is a 05 320D E90 SE(£24K), so the VRT would be €12/13K, which would be a tidy amount to save if I am exempt.
    What do y'all think, is it worth the hassle, or am I better off buying down south?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if you move up north then you do not have to change your licence - part of the joy of living ithin the EU.

As for buying up there and bringing it back down here read this
    Basically, if you have owned it for over 6 months abroad (and can prove you lived abroad*) then you will be exempt from VRT and can stick Irish plates on it. However, you cannot sell it within 12 months of bringing it in.

proof will be pretty much all of the following:- bank statements, wage slips, phone bills, etc.

As for insurance up there on a UK regd car - you shouldn't have any problem getting insurance

As for your last question - go for it and save a packet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Thanks for the swift reply kbannon.
    I will still be working for a company here in Dublin, still be paid in euros, get wage slips and pay tax down here, nor had I planned to change banks.
    The only bills I will have above are electricity, gas etc.,I wonder is this enough, will have to call the Revenue to find out for certain,and I have a feeling I know what they will tell me..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'd say revenue will be fine. you're not breaking the rules-you'll be living in the uk for over 6 months. maybe tip over to england and buy a really nice motor-ni is the most expensive part of th uk to buy cars.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If I was to buy up north, is it possible to insure it there?
    Do I have to get a UK liscence, or can I transfer my current one?

If I were you I'd transfer to a Northern licence, then buy my car in the North, tax and insure it up there too.
    And I exempt from paying VRT if I bring it back down?

If your living in the north for 6 or 12 months (can't remember which)with the vechile taxed up there you can bring it through into the south without having to pay any VRT (the revenue will inform you of the details, call them).
    (£24K), so the VRT would be €12/13K
    You would save a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Buy your motor here (pre tax prices are amongst the cheapest in europe), ex VRT, get a set of temporary ZZ plates, the AA issue these, to bring it to Norn Iron, register it up there. Keep it registered there until you mave back and do the changeover ex VRT. THat way, even though you've skipped the VRT, you have an irish spec car, your warranty is irish should anything go wrong etc...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

alias no.9 wrote:
    Buy your motor here (pre tax prices are amongst the cheapest in europe), ex VRT,

The OP said he was buying a 05 320D E90 SE, although if he does decide to buy a new car this is definitely the way to do it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Sparks400 wrote:
    The OP said he was buying a 05 320D E90 SE, although if he does decide to buy a new car this is definitely the way to do it. :)

Oops. According to CBG the list price for a 320D SE is €51700, less the 30% VRT makes that €36190 or ~ £24k which was his budget for a used car. TBH new is the way to go in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

alias no.9 wrote:
    THat way, even though you've skipped the VRT, you have an irish spec car, your warranty is irish should anything go wrong etc...

Why would you want an Irish poverty spec car?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If insure in the North you could face a massive insurance bill. Insurance will depend on your address, age and what your job is. It might also be the case that any no-claims from the South won't be recognised. You should check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MrPudding wrote:
    Why would you want an Irish poverty spec car?

The above BMW is exactly the same spec as sold in both the UK and Ireland. A few years ago, BMW bought back the distributorship in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

unkel wrote:
    The above BMW is exactly the same spec as sold in both the UK and Ireland. A few years ago, BMW bought back the distributorship in Ireland
    That is interesting. Are there any other manufacturers that do onot ship a reduced spec here?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Was talking to the VRO today, 6 months is the min. you have to live up there, I would have to prove I lived there with bills, rent agreement etc.

The person I spoke to was not sure, but thinks I have to prove Im working for northern company as well,apparently they will get back to me on that one:confused:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

www.revenue.ie/leaflets/vrt_3.htm
    In order to qualify for relief certain requirements must be met in regard to:
    * residency, both here and abroad
    and
    * the motor vehicle in respect of which relief is claimed.

WHAT ARE THE RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS?

For VRT purposes you must have had your normal residence as defined below, outside the State at the time of transfer. In the case of a transfer from outside the EU, you must have had your normal residence outside the EU for a continuous period of at least 12 months prior to transfer.

Normal Residence means:
    * the place where you usually lived, for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of occupational and personal ties
    * if you had no occupational ties, the place where you usually lived for at least 185 days in the year ending on the date of transfer, because of personal ties
    * if your occupational ties were in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you returned there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days).

YOU DO NOT QUALIFY FOR RELIEF FROM VRT
    * if you went to live abroad primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies
    * if you were working abroad on a task of duration of less than one year and your personal ties remained in the State
    * if you were working abroad on a task of duration of more than one year and you have been granted tax relief in respect of another vehicle in the previous 5 years.

I don't see what literal connection you will have with the state. You will be living up there (not returning here much*) and working up there. It just so happens that your employer is based down here.

* if you do return here frequently then avoid making many withdrawls etc. that show how frequent you were here.

edit: also if someone in the VRO tells you something promising then get it in writing. My wife made the mistake of not doing that!

Advertisement