Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroen C5 Level1 Level2 differences

Options
  • 27-01-2006 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

I am thinking about secondhand C5 2001/2002 110 hdi - I know some of the earlier ones had problems.

Can anybody explain differences in C5 level 1 and 2 ?

When was the last of the dodgy ones or were problems serious?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

DurtyMurty wrote:
    I am thinking about secondhand C5 2001/2002 110 hdi - I know some of the earlier ones had problems.

Can anybody explain differences in C5 level 1 and 2 ?

When was the last of the dodgy ones or were problems serious?
    2 of my brothers have 2002 C5s, one a saloon 1.8 petrol the other an Estate 110 HDi. The diesel is a great car, and he hasn't had too many unexpected issues. Appalling build quality on both of them, with 4 major recalls (one for a new wiring loom - a big job) and I saw rust on the (undamaged) inside of the door. My 1972 Citroën has less rust. For me this is frankly appalling on a new car.

Unless your getting a better than Alfa-level deal on them, run away.

The new model (2005) is reportedly well made - hold off for a year or two, it's value will be a fraction of what it was and you will buy an excellent well made car for peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DurtyMurty

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard good and bad. I'm tempted by a relatively cheap diesel and perhaps move up to an 05 later as you suggest.
    Am also considering Octavia or perhaps 406 (dated I know but gets you there)
    I've driven various citroens from my first BX over 14 years ago and am used to their quirks. But at least back then you could usually get going again with a bit of pipe, a bit of wire, or at worst a sphere or s/h bit from a breaker.

Now its all electrics :confused: - 12v has been replaced by a data packet and the trusty test lamp must yield to the laptop, with fancy connectors and expensive software as well as a huge vacuum of information. Not so easy to fix on the side of the road but thats progress and I know that there are advantages

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

DurtyMurty wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.

I've heard good and bad. I'm tempted by a relatively cheap diesel and perhaps move up to an 05 later as you suggest.
    I've driven various citroens from my first BX over 14 years ago and am used to their quirks. But at least back then you could usually get going again with a bit of pipe, a bit of wire, or at worst a sphere or s/h bit from a breaker.

Now its all electrics :confused: - 12v has been replaced by a data packet and the trusty test lamp must yield to the laptop, with fancy connectors and expensive software as well as a huge vacuum of information. Not so easy to fix on the side of the road but thats progress and I know that there are advantages

The information on the C5 I have is only from a third party but I'll share it with you anyway.

A work collegue used always drive Citroen diesels, he had two Xantias, a 1.9 TD and then a 2.0 HDi. He said they were fantasic cars, very comfortable and very economical. So he obviously then changed for a C5 2.0 HDi and said he was very disappointed with the car in general from a driving and reliability perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

DurtyMurty wrote:
    My wife has an Octavia. Excellent car, no faults in 65000 miles. Dull as dishwater and rides like a washboard. The 406 in HDI form is a great car, and a more handsome car than a C5. Not half as roomy, though.
    I hear you. I have a '72 DS that will be buried with me. Citroën make great cars. Its just that recently they've started to make them very badly. If I were to buy a modern Citroën it would be a HDi Xantia Estate. The Xantia is probably the last car Citroën made well.

Their quality is reported to have made big strides since the C4 launch. If the C6 is half as well made as a 5 series they're onto a winner.

Advertisement