Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100% Tax on 'Violent' Games

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

seamus wrote:
    I don't buy very many games (that doesn't mean I pirate them, that means I don't play very many games :)), but if for example, the next GTA that came out was twice the price of the last one, I probably would buy it.

Or you could get it for free...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Zillah wrote:
    Yeah, cos its soft drinks that have caused Americans to be grossly obese. Not the vast quantities of awful fast food...

Not entirely disagreeing with you here but [QUOTE= Greg Critser, Author of
    Fat Land : How Americans Became the Fattest People in the World]

"A joint study by Harvard University and Boston Children's Hospital
    researchers in February 2001 concluded that such excess liquid calories
    inhibited the ability of older children to compensate at mealtime, leading
    to caloric imbalance and, in time, obesity."

"One extra soft drink a day gave a child a 60 percent greater chance of
    becoming obese. One could even link specific amounts of soda to specific
    amounts of weight gain. Each daily drink added .18 points to a child's body
    mass index (BMI). This, the researchers noted, was regardless of what else
    they ate or how much they exercised. "Consumption of sugar [high fructose
    corn syrup]-sweetened drinks," they concluded, "is associated with obesity
    in children." [/QUOTE]

That said, when I came over here I was amazed at the amount of ****e food and the relative difficulty in getting healthy food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

My sody is too cold, My teef hurt!

i don't need to tell you what you can do with your freakin' sody :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

While I don't agree with the idea and it's irrelevant anyway since the chances of him getting voted in or passing any of his ideas are tiny, I don't think the idea is all that crazy or illogical.

Taxing as an incentive to get people to stop is already in effect here with alcohol and cigarettes as it is in many parts of the world, nothing new there. Why not extend it to other items like this? In the case of violent games, I'd still buy the really good ones but a 100% increase(in tax, not in price, so I'm guessing the actual price would go up 50% or so?) would certainly make me take a closer look at the relative merits of the latest fluffy Nintendo game.

If sales of violent games half, the government would make the same profit and there'd be less violent games and (assuming you consider violent games as bad, which I don't particularly) everyone is happy. Over time publishers would see its worth investing in something other than GTA clones and shoddy FPS's which could even be good for the games industry! If the law applied in more than one state of course. If it applied at all, which it won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Kids are fscking richer than the rest of us anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

too stupid to fathom.
    tbh a load of b****x. u dont see violent films taxed more.
    getting me too angry to think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

on top of this proposes that future international conflicts not be settled by war, but by seeing which country's representatives can set the quickest lap time on mario kart DD.
    however, those that use weapons, such as turtle shells, will be penalised....as thats violent y'know

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,689 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

steviec wrote:
    Taxing as an incentive to get people to stop is already in effect here with alcohol and cigarettes as it is in many parts of the world, nothing new there.

It really has worked wonders over here with regard to the sale of alcohol and cigarettes.

That may have started out as an incentive to stop people drinking and smoking more but it is now only great for making more revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It really has worked wonders over here with regard to the sale of alcohol and cigarettes.

That may have started out as an incentive to stop people drinking and smoking more but it is now only great for making more revenue.

Ok then plastic bags are a better example :)

Advertisement