Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Girl with Hep B

• 27-01-2006 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    Found out a friend of mine has Hepatitis B recently. Now she told me "its not sexual or anything" but reading stuff online it seems thats basically how it is transmitted.. bodily fluids or something. I asked her about this and she said "well thats what they said... they wouldn't want it getting spread".

Now I've liked her for ages and am mad about her and I'm just wondering is this so serious that I shouldn't even think of having a relationship with her? Because nothing online will say bluntly "run a million miles".

So I'm just wondering is it common? Is it like getting aids in the sense that one should run a million miles (in a relationship sense, I've no problem speaking to people with that... or this depending on what the replies are).

She says she will get well at some stage... anybody know if it will be infectious for long? Is her life expectancy diminished?

Does the GP do the vaccination or should I just call the hospital? What precautions should I take (if any?).

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Not a medical board. But for what it's worth, transmission is most commonly by bodily fluids, and in many respects it is analogous to the transmission of most HIV, (ie. by having intercourse, sharing needles etc.). Transmission by sexually transmission can occur in up to 40 % of cases. If her infection is acute, then it should clear itself up, however this could takes weeks/months depending on her general health.

Putting all that aside for a second, I'd be more concerned with how she got infected? Is she having unprotected sex with many aprtners? Is there the possibility that she has other conditions you don't know about?

Also, she says
    Questions wrote:
    I asked her about this and she said "well thats what they said... they wouldn't want it getting spread".

This is a little unclear, but it sounds like she's trying to play down the sexual aspect of transmission? Maybe she's just embarrassed, which is understandable. I'd say if she can't/won't answer the above 3 questions....well, personally I'd leave her alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Hep B can be passed by sexual contact. It can also be passed in many other ways, as the virus lives outside the body for days.

Some people continue to carry the virus after symptoms go, or even if they never develop symptoms. Others recover completely. The degree of infection potential varies from case to case.

Those who do continue to carry the virus have an increased risk of liver cancer or cirrhosis.

If you are going to either have sexual relations or be in regular close contact with someone infected with Hep B you should consider getting vaccinated. Talk to your GP or contact one of the following:

Aisling Clinic
    Cherry Orchard Hospital
    Ballyfermot Road
    Dublin
    (01) 626 2476

Baggot Street Clinic
    19 Haddington Road
    Dublin 2
    (01) 6102149

Mater Misericordiae Hospital
    Eccles Street
    Dublin 7