Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom line fail

• 27-01-2006 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

My line had been failing the online checker, with the word "fail"
    Checked it tonight and it now says "unsuitable"

Anyone seen this before? any point getting my hopes up that BB may be on it's way soon?

Today there was lots of Eircom activity in the area, digging holes, laying cable etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Use netsource's checker. If they show a test date and a fail, then your line doesn't pass the test. If no test date is shown, the exchange is usually not enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Here's what I got,

Your line is not suitable for DSL.*

Don't think I'm anymore than a mile from the ENABLED exchange, no line splitter as I can get 42.6kb dial up

That said, I put some numbers from the phone book into Eircoms checker and all the numbers from my (5 year old) estate failed. The next estate across the road generally gets a pass, maybe I am just that bit too far :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

My line had been failing the online checker, with the word "fail"
    Checked it tonight and it now says "unsuitable"
    It's still a fail. Eircom just changed the wording to "Unsuitable", probably for PR purposes. 1 mile from the exchange is well within range.
    Check the internal phone wiring in your house and disconnect anything from the line that could be causing (DECT phone, Sky digibox, caller display unit fax machine etc). Have nothing except a standard corded phone plugged in for 4 -5 weeks and see if the status changes.
    Having said all that, it doesn't look good when all the other houses are failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 grizi

I got quite annoyed with eircom - I got a new line installed and it failed the line test and I thought that was €130 for nothing. Line test for digiweb, magnet, smarttelecom etc all said my line failed. Even ringing 1901 was no good until they gave me the number of eircom broadband telesales - 1800 503 303 is the number I think.

They quite helpfully told me that the line had no specific fault, would I like it to be tested and it passed the online tests the following week.

Not sure if this will help but give it a lash. Oh yeah - what really pissed me off was that a friend 2 doors down on the same side of the road had BB up and running so that's why I kept at them

Thanks fro the replies, will give them another call and see ;)

• Advertisement

Just rang Eircom BB sales, she checks line, line fails (no surprise there)
    She said I was either too far from the exchange or that the line is unsuitable to carry the signal :confused:

She then went on to say "they're (Eircom) not doing anything about it for the moment"
    I asked her why and she said "they don't guarantee that your line will pass" :mad:

"check it again in a few weeks blah blah...."

Sorry to hear that, maybe the line was tested after all - I've no more ideas at the moment

Did you get a test date on Netsource's site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Stephencuthbert

Hey Grizi,

Check out the following link and read my letter to Eircom. Word of advice....customer services are a waste of time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849673

Blaster99 wrote:
    Did you get a test date on Netsource's site?

No, it just said "Your line is not suitable for DSL.*" nothing about a test date!

• Advertisement

Then your line has not been tested. You're either on an exchange that's not enabled or there's something wrong somewhere. It does happen that various configurations on the line causes the line test to not run. I would hassle eircom a lot to make sure a test is run on the line.

Hey Grizi,

Check out the following link and read my letter to Eircom. Word of advice....customer services are a waste of time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054849673

That was some hassle you had there and that active eircom account/Smart thing is pretty crazy too. I'm happy now that I have BB and dreading the thought of going through that again when I move house (I'm renting)

Advertisement