Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is it with the fog lights

Options
  • 27-01-2006 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I cannot believe and understand why so many people in this couyntry drive with their fog light on! During the evenings, at least 5 out of 10 cars at any given time will drive with fog lights on.
    My brother in law does the same thins as he thinks the car looks nicer I]Mea culpa[/I. He does this even though he was fined a few years ago when driving in the continent where this is forbidden unless there actualy is fog on the road. I was talking to a German chap a few days ago who thought this was madness as mos of the drivers travelling in the direction of the vehicle with fog lights on is partialy blinded by them. I tried to fihgure out if it is a matter of a complex (i.e., small cars want to be spotted better) but this does not appear to be the case as many large cars with 05-06 plates seem to utilize the fog lamps.

Does anyone here drive using the fog lamps?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Please respond stating corresponding penis size, also.

It is really annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do a search here, regedit. This subject has been covered to death recently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'm sure your talking about front fog lights, aren't you? If it's the front lights your on about, it doesn't really bother me once they're focused correctly and not blinding me.

I can't stand people leaving rear fog lights on but that's already been flogged to death here.

I don't drive with my fog lights on as I don't have any! If I did I would.

BTW, It's illegal to drive with front or rear fog lights on in the UK, when there's no fog (obviously includes NI).

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Do a search here, regedit. This subject has been covered to death recently
    recently? a new thread starts every other week and gets covered to death
    Sparks400 wrote:
    BTW, It's illegal to drive with front or rear fog lights on in the UK, when there's no fog (obviously includes NI).
    I believe a similar law exists here but the gardai are too busy catching bank robbers and rapists to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

May have been done to death but the point on enforcement is quite relevant.

I got stopped in Portroe, a wee little one-horse-village on the outskirts of Nenagh the other evening going home, four cars in a queue, 2 each way, 2 Guards, one either side of the road checking tax and insurance. No other cars on the road, sleepy little town, (no known rapists or murderers here), the guy behind me in my wee little queue (in the one-horse-village on the outskirts of Nenagh) had his fog lights on. Not a fking mention by the guard of this infringement at all.

Cracking law enforcement technique for a kick off, you gonna stop somebody, fkking do it for a fkking reason (and not incovenience everyone for the one little toad who doesnt have tax or insurance) and secondly, if you see an infringement under current law, fkking deal with it, dont just wave the guy on !! oh, and while I'm ranting (again), whats the point of random breath test legislation if the Guards already have this wonderful stop-everyone approach to enforcement ? All they need to do is lean thru the window and sniff !! (Or am I missing something ???).

BTW, my cousin got done, just getting off the ferry in FishGuard for foglights, a whole rake of drivers pulled and fined :D ...justice comes, all you need to do is wait..

Pee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I can't remember whether it was on one of the many recent threads where this topic has been threshed to death or if it was in the paper, but an interesting solution that was proposed was that once the foglights were turned on, an engine limiter would start up that would limit the vehicle to eg, 25kmph which is quite adequate a speed for foggy conditions. That would certainly cut out a lot of unnecessary use!

Can't really see something like that being implemented though, probably because it is safer to blind some other road user off the road rather than cause a traffic jam with cars not wanting to do 25kmph in the fog...

Also, Sparks400, the foglights that don't bother you are probably the misaligned ones. I thought that properly aligned foglights are actually supposed to be aimed straight out from the vehicle so that the light shines through the fog at 90° rather than at an angle where more reflections are made.

L.

nereid wrote:
    I thought that properly aligned foglights are actually supposed to be aimed straight out from the vehicle
    L.

Don't agree there, any cars I've driven the fog lights illuminated the road directly in front of the car, approximately between the car, and where the dipped or full beam starts. (hope you understand what I mean :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I read a post there was the writer thought that fog lights are ment to be aimed straight ahead. Obvious this person doesnt drive in fog that often.

As i live in Monaghan - the bog lands, there's always fog and if you drive in fog you know that it is far worst to drive with your full lights on as you can only see a white cloud infront of you.

You have a better chance of seeing whats in front of you when your lights are dipped and your front fog lights are directed downwards and to the sides.

I drive with my front fog lights on as i had them align so that they dont point forward and are directed to the ground even if its not foggy not because it looks cool because it improves visablity on the crap roads that i have to drive on.

If you have a problem with bright lights it maybe advised that you attend the docs or opticans to get your eyes examined for sensitivity to bright lights.

Sorry about the spelling....

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Sorry, but I've never heard a more lame excuse. Driving lights, mounted above or on the bumper may improve visability but I've never had "Standard" foglights that enhance my visibility while driving as they are positioned too low to the ground and thus have a short forward illuminary distance.

fatboypee wrote:
    Sorry, but I've never heard a more lame excuse. Driving lights, mounted above or on the bumper may improve visability but I've never had "Standard" foglights that enhance my visibility while driving as they are positioned too low to the ground and thus have a short forward illuminary distance.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

fatboypee wrote:

Indeed, corectly aimed fog lights only illimunate a section of road very close to the car. If anything, in ordinary driving conditions, the additional illumination close to the car makes it more difficult to see up ahead, in the region of the dipped headlamp, where you should be looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

The other issue being if the road is wet they can cause an excessive amount of glare for oncoming drivers.

But I am sure it is illegal to use them when there is no fog simply beacuse the gov does not want your car to look cool. It could not pobbibly be because there os a safetly reason or anything like that.

MrP

Advertisement