Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car...suggestions?

Options
  • 27-01-2006 3:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    This question has probably been asked many a time, but... Im about to start saving for my first car and am wondering what I should get.

Im 23, obviously on my 1st provisional. Dont know much about cars really. My budget including insurance would be around the 5k mark...maybe stretching to 6k for something really nice.

I wouldnt imagine I'd be doing a lot of driving, as I work from home.

Any tips on what to get/what not to get?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

What I did when I had a budget of that much was buy a 1.0l polo. At the time I thought it was a great car, but looking back, I probably should have gone for something else. As you are on a first provisional, you could go for a small 1.0l engine car, like the volkswagen polo or the nissan micra. If you are doing short dashes around a small area, then they are fine cars.

Another option is to go for a volkswagen golf 1.4l model. You could pick a decent one up for about 3 grand, and then spend the rest on insurance. It might be expensive for insurance but it would be a much nicer drive than a polo. They are much more reliable and safer should something bad happen. In hindsight I was thinking I should have done the same when I got my Polo. I was 23 with a provisional when I got mine back in June.

Another quick suggestion is a Ford Fiesta 1.25l Zetec. They are great little cars and you can't really go wrong with them. I doubt insurance would be too much on them either. They aren't that expensive to buy either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

good call on the alfa,s but they would be more suited for people buying a second car, especially those who have full licences. Cianos, have you applied for your test yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If your only driving a short time or learning to drive don't even think of wasting a budget of 5/6k on a car. Buy a little 1ltr runaround for aroun 1k and become a good driver for 6 - 12 months first, that way you'll not be too bothered about any bumps, gear cruntching etc.., that are bound to happen.

Advertisement