Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullseye Coming Back

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

Flextech entertainment channel Challenge reinforced its game show credentials today by securing the rights to revive the 80's game show classic Bullseye.

Challenge has had huge success airing all the original series and now plans to modernise the game show for a new generation of fans.

Commissioned from Granada, the Challenge team will stay true to the spirit of Bullseye by keeping many of the original elements of the competition such as the revolving board, the character of Bully, Tony Green the scorer, and the tankard prizes.

The news series will however feature a new presenter and many of today's top darts players and celebrity guests.

The series is set to air in Spring 2006.

Jonathan Webb, Director of Programming for Challenge, Bravo & Trouble, says: "Super smashing lovely - Bullseye is in a class of its own. It is totally cult and we predict a huge resurgence in darts this year which, in part, explains the phenomenal success of the original series on Challenge."

Celia Taylor, Deputy Controller, Challenge, says: "It was a no brainer to fight for the rights to revive the show."

Former presenter of the show, Jim Bowen, adds his support for the show's revival, saying: "My time on Bullseye was one of the best times of my life and I'm very pleased to hear that it is coming back for a new audience. I want to wish the production team and the new presenter my blessings, whoever it turns out to be!"

Bullseye originally aired on ITV between 1981 and 1995 and in its prime was watched by as many as 15 million viewers every Sunday evening.

Rumours re the new presenter are Ant & Dec, and Peter Kay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Sky Bet have odds on who will be the next presenter
    Peter Kay 4/1               Jimmy Tarbuck 16/1       Noel Edmonds 33/1  
     Michael Barrymore 5/1   Chris Evans 16/1           Julian Clary 33/1  
     Cannon and Ball 6/1      Phil Jupitus 16/1           Paul O’Grady 40/1  
     Al Murray 6/1               Dale Winton 25/1          Des Lynam 40/1  
     Johnny Vegas 7/1         Bruce Forsyth 25/1       Terry Wogan 40/1  
     John Leslie 10/1           Justin Hawkins 25/1       Trevor McDonald 66/1  
     Chris Moyles 12/1        Christian O'Connell 25/1   Jonathan Ross 66/1  
     Jim Davidson 14/1        Colin Murray 25/1          Jordan 80/1  
     Frank Skinner 14/1       Scott Mills 25/1             Liz Hurley 150/1

I think the two outsiders are there for bounce-out potential :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I loved Bullseye so im delighted this is cming back. My question is though will it be aired on one of the major channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

It would have to have a Sunday night slot. Anything else would be sacrosanct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

My own site was one of those involved this past few years trying to get Bullseye back on telly hoped it would be on normal TV though as not everyone can get Challenge TV but it is a start getting the programme up and running again anyway. Bellow is the press release I received last week (most of which has been posted up here already).
    PRESS RELEASE
    24th January 2006
    SUPER, SMASHING GREAT! - CHALLENGE BRINGS BACK BULLSEYE AND BULLY
    FOR THE 21st CENTURY

Challenge, the official gaming and entertainment channel, reinforced its game show credentials today by securing the rights to revive the 80’s game show classic Bullseye.

Challenge has had huge success airing all the original series and now plans to modernise the game show for a new generation of fans.

Commissioned from Granada , the Challenge team will stay true to the spirit of Bullseye by keeping many of the original elements of the competition such as the revolving board, the character of Bully, Tony Green the scorer, and the tankard prizes. There’s even rumours that the famous speedboat prize may make a return!

The new series will however feature a new presenter and many of today’s top darts players and celebrity guests.

Former presenter of the show, Jim Bowen adds his support for the show’s revival saying “My time on Bullseye was one of the best times of my life and I’m very pleased to hear that it is coming back for a new audience. I want to wish the production team and the new presenter my blessings, whoever it turns out to be!”

News of the presenter remains firmly under wraps at Challenge’s head quarters, an announcement is expected within the next month.

In the meantime, Sky Bet, the UK’s largest interactive betting service has devised tote odds on who they think will be the new presenter. Betting is now live and their odds put Peter Kay as odds on favourite at 4/1 and Michael Barrymore following at 5/1. - a full list of the odds are detailed below.

The series is set to air in Spring 2006.

Celia Taylor, Deputy Controller, Challenge, says: “It was a no brainer to fight for the rights to revive the show. Bullseye is in a class of its own. It is totally cult and we predict a huge resurgence in darts this year which, in part, explains the phenomenal success of the original series on Challenge.”

Bullseye originally aired on ITV between 1981 and 1995 and in its prime was watched by as many as 15 million viewers every Sunday evening.

http://www.bullseyeonline.net/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Carrickman wrote:

Is that your site?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Am I right in saying it will only be on Challenge TV? Thats very anoying because im with NTL digital who dont have that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Granada are involved as well, so it may yet be on a proper channel
    The classic TV show Bullseye is back and we’re looking for contestants!

Granada Television needs teams of two – one darts player, one non-darts player, for a 2006 series.

For an application form, please e-mail Bullseye@itv.com or call 0044 161 835 6145

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

fade2black wrote:
    Is that your site?
    No my site is at the the bottom of the post.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    Am I right in saying it will only be on Challenge TV? Thats very anoying because im with NTL digital who dont have that channel.
    Same here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

It will never be the same without Jim, he made the show the true classic that it is.

Advertisement