Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine overheating problem

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

On my way to work this morning I noticed that the engine temperature gauge started to rise as soon as I stopped in traffic. If I was stopped long enough it would continue all the way in to the red. As soon as I started moving again it dropped right back to normal.

Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Is there anything I can check before I bring it to a garage and hand them my wallet? Could this have damaged my engine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Possibly something simple like the thermostat, but the fan could also be dead.

The fact that the temp lowers once you start moving makes me think that the fan is dead (Or something that triggers the fan isint working). I doubt its anything like an airlock in the coolant because the temp lowers once cold air gets at the rad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Most likely the thermostat. The cooling system seems to be working, just that the fan is not kicking in. What kind of car is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The exact same thing happened to me. Eventually it wouldn't cool down at all when I started moving in traffic. Turned out it was the head gasket. I'd bring it to a mechanic. I got in it just in time cos if I had brought it in any later, the cylinder head would have cracked and couldn't have been repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

The exact same thing happened to me. Eventually it wouldn't cool down at all when I started moving in traffic. Turned out it was the head gasket. I'd bring it to a mechanic. I got in it just in time cos if I had brought it in any later, the cylinder head would have cracked and couldn't have been repaired.

Don't scare the lad!!
    *BASIC* checks for HG failure are...
    1) Check oil filler cap and check that its clear of 'may'
    2) Check coolant for over-pressurisation
    3) Check coolant for oily residue.

I doubt its the HeadGasket to be honest, sounds too much like the thermostat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

The car is a fiat bravo btw. It was only serviced in November if that makes any difference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Rather than the thermostat, it's most likely the thermostatic switch which turns on the fan.

If the thermostat was stuck in the closed position (shutting off flow to the radiator), you'd want to be moving quite fast for the airflow to cool the engine.

Not a good idea to leave it in this condition. A thermostatic switch is cheap. However the heat will cause you head gasket to fail, and eventually your engine will be ruined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

just back from the garage and the motor on the radiator fan is gone. It felt like there was a bearing loose inside it. So I'm off the road until I can get it fixed on monday.

Thanks for all the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

JohnCleary wrote:
    Possibly something simple like the thermostat, but the fan could also be dead.

The fact that the temp lowers once you start moving makes me think that the fan is dead (Or something that triggers the fan isint working). I doubt its anything like an airlock in the coolant because the temp lowers once cold air gets at the rad

I'd look to the fan first also, given it is so easy to check.... an engine that is tending to overheat shoud have a hot radiator and whirring fan.
    if not, sheck rad temp, if V hot, fan should be on. if cold, Thermostat stuck.
    but the fact that it is OK when moving and heats when stopped would immediately indicate the rad is OK and doint its job, just the fan may not.

meanwhile, you can cool the engine very effectively by turning the heater to max heat with the cabins fan also set to max speed... of course this could cause you to sweat in hot weather, but given it is winter... should not be a significant problem and if it is open the rear windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

fiats have been known to have head gasket problems,
    the symptoms you describe would require that in any case you should bring the car to a mechanic.
    if it is the gasket it could already be too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭adam01

Beano wrote:
    On my way to work this morning I noticed that the engine temperature gauge started to rise as soon as I stopped in traffic. If I was stopped long enough it would continue all the way in to the red. As soon as I started moving again it dropped right back to normal.

Does anybody have any ideas what it could be? Is there anything I can check before I bring it to a garage and hand them my wallet? Could this have damaged my engine?

It's likely the thermostat. The cooling system seems to be working, just that the fan is not kicking in.....ADs:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement