Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Parent Family Tax Credit

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks

I need some advice for a friend please . We are both single parents supporting our kids . I get the one parent tax credit allowance to me .Whilst talking to my friend last night , it dawned on him he was not aware of this credit and had never claimed it .His 2 kids are 13 and 9 ,i downloaded the forms for him to fill in this morning from revenue.ie .I have searched this site and oasis.gov to see how far back he can claim for .
    Is it the new rule he can only claim for the current tax year or for this credit will they allow him claim a few year back.It doesnt specify on any of the websites

Has anyone any thoughts or ideas on this ? Can he only claim from January 2006 or what route can he go to backdate his claim

Thanks for the helo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://historical-debates.oireachtas.ie/D/0524/D.0524.200010180106.html
    Even if the taxpayer is eligible for tax relief, section 865 of the Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997, provides that a claim for repayment of income tax is not to be allowed unless it is made within ten [750] years after the end of the year of assessment to which it relates.

IT seem that It can go back 10 years but the only way to be sure it to get in touch with the revenue office and ask.

http://www.revenue.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

My understanding was that particular credit was non-refundable but it would appear I was wrong.

Interesting observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

He must fill in the years he is entitled to , but your better off filling in a different form for every year and going to the tax office with them.

I sent mine in in August got my 1st cheque for 2002 4 weeks ago , 2nd for 2003 last friday waiting on 04 and 05 :(

kdjac

Advertisement