Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices of Steel Stairs?

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hello all,
    I have my heart set on a steel stairs (with wood steps) for our house, but having decided on a rough design with the chap that I wanted to build it, he said that he would be charging E9,500, just for the steel frame and railings! I would then have to pay more for the timber steps etc.
    As you can imagine I was shocked, having expected it to be much less than that.

Trouble is, I have no comparisons or scale to measure quotes against. I simply don't know what I can get for X amount of money.

I would really appreciate any advice or direction regarding this; if you have had such a stairs fitted or know of one, perhaps you could left me know what it cost, how long it took, etc. A photo would be extremely helpful.

Maybe they are that expensive, and I will have no choice to but to fit a wooden unit. Champagne tastes and beer money!

The stairs has approximately 15 steps, with a 90 degree right turn. I need the turn to consist of those triangular steps to gain enough height at the top. Including the stairs and landing, there is about 30 feet of railing. Simple bar infill is all thats needed, with a minimum of decoration. The handrail will be steel also.

Thanks in advance for your help, Rusty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Mild steel or stainless?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

I'm reading this at work so the following is just a guesstimate of figures. I had such a stairs built about 6 years ago and the price at that time was about £1700, not including the wooden treads. It has some ornate work on the rails, about every second one, but nothing too outlandish. It has a 90 degree turn at the bottom as you describe and also has a railing on the landing, looking back over the hall. If I get a chance I'll post some pics. The person who built it was a local guy but I'm not sure if he still has that business or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

John Boy,

Mild steel throughout; stainless is for millionaires! Although at the price quoted I would expect gold leaf etc!

Thanks, Rusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rusty Knight

Denismac,

Thanks for your info. A photo would be very very helpful.

Regards, Rusty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

In that case sounds dammed expensive.

I've a mate who works for a mild/stainless company, he occaisionally fits stainless and mild staircases, the crowd he works for are savage expensive, but I couldn't see them charging that much for a mild staircase.

materials couln't possibly top 2 grand, and at 500 a day he's still got 15 days labour.

I do a bit of fabrication myself, and have helped out with my mate in a properly equipped workshop, and there, with things like bandsaws, guillotines, brakes, punches and pillar drills, you'll walk through a job like that.

unless there is a lot of detailwork, or your design uses a lot of pre-fab parts to drive the prices up then it all seems a bit suss to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Post up a couple of pictures or ideas, and there are cheaper routes that can be taken. Can you weld at all, or get a good welder. All the components could be sourced cut to lengths and angles.

kadman:)

Advertisement