Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aramiska shutting down

• 27-01-2006 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Just got this email:
    We regret to inform you that Aramiska and its services are shutting down and the company will be unable to provide you with internet access after today, 27th of January 2006

Nothing like a bit of notice.

Did think it was fake at first but links on their website seem to indicate it's legit, plus can't get through to any phone numbers...

Yes I know I should have organised my community to get a wireless system going but at the time I needed something NOW - and then I suppose I got complacent as aramiska was working fine for me, and my company was paying for it so never bothered. And now am stuck again - need something for work next week!!!

Wonder do I get to keep the dish? Can it be used for anything useful?!

Aisling

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

aislingw wrote:
    Wonder do I get to keep the dish? Can it be used for anything useful?!

Paint it a nice girly colour and tilt it up a tad , it can become a Central Pigeon Rutting Locale for your neighbourhood .... the pigeon rutting season is imminent.

Otherwise the only choice you have for VSAT is to get the Digiweb one I'd say ......seeing as you seem to have needed 2 way VSAT .

The equipment is incompatible except that they may be able to reuse the cable and shorten the install procedure.

Get involved in your community and get wireless installed there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 aislingw

Have called digiweb and whereas before they said their Kells transmitter wouldn't reach me now they reckon it will - line of sight permitting - wonder have they upgraded their transmitter or have just done their mapping better.. Anyway, will know in 4-6 weeks when they can get someone out this way :)

Depending on that will see if community needs wireless installed as it may be that the whole area is ok after all. However seeing as how I barely have time to brush my teeth these days - could do without another job!!

In the meantime, will get eircom line reconnected to the office and dust off the old modem :(

Net1 are operational in your general area too . Lest you heard any bad stories they finally shook off the dread yoke of IBB (for backhaul) in the past few weeks and should now be able to offer a reliable service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭vsat

An email from Aramiska, sent out at around 10:00(GMT), stated: "We regret to inform you that Aramiska and its services are shutting down and the company will be unable to provide you with internet access after today, 27th of January 2006.":mad:

digiweb can provide a stable satellite service:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Wasnt digiweb using aramiska (atleast for a while)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Wasnt digiweb using aramiska (atleast for a while)?
    yes, this is true, they had a big row, left all Digiweb's customer's without broadband for about 2 week's and told no one. I dont think they use Aramiska anymore though. I know alot of wireless isp's using them, and this is not very good news for them at all! did'nt give much notice though did they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rkeane16

<commercial spam snipped>

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Rkeane16 wrote:
    Pure Telecom... operate many Group Broadband Schemes...
    They do? The DCMNR don't seem to be aware of any.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

No latency on a satellite connection. Uh-huh.

Care to post a traceroute and some pings to boards.ie?

<commercial/misleading spam snipped>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

Rkeane16 wrote:
    <commercial/misleading spam snipped>

but it is essential to gaming which you stated in your last post was working perfectly..so have you tested this or was you just assuming that because it works well for voip etc that it would work for games..

I havnt personally used it for gaming but a colleague of mine has. I'm more concerned that from a business perspective I have a solution and a working VPN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Website still up. odd dont you think?

Yah...How many customers did they have in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

No, absolutely not. Digiweb have never installed nor used a single Aramiska unit for customers ... lest there should be any confusion.

Regrettable to see it happen though - a lot of businesses and community groups affected.

Colm
    Digiweb

Maybe its just similar to when Digiweb left all their customers without service last year with no reasons...Oh I think they mailed customers and said it was technical difficulty or something but I believe they basically hadnt paid their bills to Satlynx!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Looks like the competition is Trolling

Caring and sincere post by Col in Digiweb:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

ceepee wrote:
    No, absolutely not. Digiweb have never installed nor used a single Aramiska unit for customers ... lest there should be any confusion.

Regrettable to see it happen though - a lot of businesses and community groups affected.
    So would Digiweb be willing to offer a refugee package to former Amriska customers in Ireland? It would get some good kudos in the press.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ceepee

no troll - wishing simply to address some misleading info in the thread.

jmcc ... the Aramiska service used a Newtec modem so cannot be repointed as-is onto our service. For business users we have always had a network migration offer in place - involves a hardware change. One of the common uses of Aramiska however was in servicing local community wisp's, and we're working to offer those operators an alternative asap - will keep you posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

ceepee wrote:
    no troll - wishing simply to address some misleading info in the thread.

Not @ you

@ the other guy

As I suspect Pure and Aramiska even used different sats I wonder how Pure can offer such an apparently seamless resumption of service without a site visit ..

I made a call on Friday and they replaced all the equipment yesterday.

Rkeane16 wrote:
    I made a call on Friday and they replaced all the equipment yesterday.

So there was a site visit to your company , completely new gear for €1000 and re-alignment of dish . That makes sense .

You now have one of those Gilat/Satlynx boxes in your office I trust !

Eh...There is new gear(dont be getting too technical)-:) They provided me with a payment plan for the equipment over 36 months. Pain in the backside to have had the hassle but main thing is I'm back up and running. I would guess that there are a lot of businesses around Ireland with no connectivity this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭JMcL

Rkeane16 wrote:
    Eh...There is new gear(dont be getting too technical)-:) They provided me with a payment plan for the equipment over 36 months. Pain in the backside to have had the hassle but main thing is I'm back up and running. I would guess that there are a lot of businesses around Ireland with no connectivity this morning.

The fsckers screwed a client of mine for 12 months advance payment just last week, despite the fact he's got connection to the north Wicklow wireless group scheme pending ("Oh, we'll refund the balance when you move sir").

I had to call him on Friday after seeing the report on the Register to tell him he had no net connectivity as he was out of the office . And this on top of the ESB causing him 3 days without power in the last week while they put in some new poles!

Thieving gobsh1t3s.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Orbitlink

• Advertisement

Orbitlink wrote:

I note that orbitlink are not offering free installs so the value of this package (free gear) is around €700 , on a 12 month contract thats €60 a month.

Orbitlinks monthly prices for the (nominal) 1mbit down 128k up are fairly eye watering. Pure and Digiweb who use a different sat come in at c.€100 a month less for the service (but charge for equipment and installs at €1200 so that any advantage to Orbitlink will be abnegated by the fact that Orbitlink will require a 1 year contract ...... Mediasat prices are around the Orbitlink ones .

VSAT operators basically all charge c.€300 a month for a full year for 1mb down 128k up , no matter how you crunch the math and the expensive install prices.
    PS If you are not going to use your equipment please dispose of it in environmentally friendly fashion
    A nice girly pink colour dish like I said . Leave the rest into Currys :p

Pure may recently have taken over Ildana OscarB and thats how they staked their claim to them GBS's that do not appear on the DCMNR site .

Most rural dwellers would be better off getting involved in Wireless GBS rather than paying outrageous sums for 3rd world tech like VSAT

Advertisement