Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL BB Connection Issues

• 27-01-2006 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I've been reading through a few threads here and a couple of people have mentioned NTL BB connection issues. I have awful trouble, and I was hoping to hear what kind of problems others are having.

Firstly, I live in Crumlin.

My sppeds are all over the place. One minute I could be getting the 3meg download, with the 300k upload and five seconds later I'm looking at 200k doan and 1.7k up. Very intermittent speeds. QOS can go through the floor too.

Got NTL out last Monday week. The engineer listen to what I was saying, he logged into the modem and had a look. "Nah that seems fine". His "buddy" then rang and he went off, never to be seen again!

I work from home, so 1) BB is essential and 2) I have Blueface VOIP and EVERYONE compains about the quality of my phone line.

What issues are others having? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Including a few images of my connection:

200601031836.jpg

200601031839.jpg

200601031914.jpg

200601031936.jpg

200601031938.jpg

200601032031.jpg

200601041751.jpg

200601041753.jpg

200601041809.jpg

200601041821.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

Have you been shutting down the VOIP when you are doing these checks things like that and Limewire can effect the results you get.

Try temporally disabling your firewall to see if that makes a difference.

Are you using a router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

no, I don't shut down the VOIP when I'm taking those readings, but I don't have any calls coming through. I don't have any download programs running at the time either.

I have a Draytek & a Netgear Router.

I'm more concerned about the quality of my VOIP connection, and that should be more than ok on a 3meg connection

Try doing a tracert to a couple of sites in DOS. That way you can see exactly where the spikes are. Its possible the router is causing a lag.

The VOIP problem might be more down to the fact that your upload is only 300k.

Even without taking calls the VOIP programs can sometimes cause an issue. If you are going to use isp test. Disable anything that could be causing a problem like VOIP Msn.

Or try a direct connection from the modem to the PC bypassing the router. All things just to try and narrow down where the problem might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

I've been in contact with the guys in Blueface over the last few months trying to trouble shoot the issues.

Through packet traces and ethereal we came to the conclusion that NTL is deffo the problem. We traced the packets leaving their servers and hitting my VOIP Router and the data lost was terrible.

Maybe I need to get the NTL engineer back.

I'm quite close to getting an Eircom phone line back in.

Sure give a call might be some fixable noise on the line or something

• Advertisement
Advertisement