Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT - Getting it back

Options
  • 27-01-2006 1:16pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lads

Had a discussion with a girl here in the office who reckons her friend who owns a business is getting the VRT back on a car she is buying here in Ireland.

How the hell is she managing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Didn't think you could even get VAT back...:confused:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think if you own a business and use the car for business then u can with the VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Thought that only applied to commercial veh-ickles?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭amerden

prospect wrote:
    Thought that only applied to commercial veh-ickles?

Correct, you can only reclaim VAT on the purchase of a commercial vehicle used solely for business purposes, you cannot reclaim VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If they are not paying VRT then they are up to the same tricks as some of the high flyers from last year who were diddling the system and had their cars impounded last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Correct, you can only reclaim VAT on the purchase of a commercial vehicle used solely for business purposes, you cannot reclaim VRT.
    Could a taxi driver not claim VAT back - it is a business expense after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Boggle wrote:
    Could a taxi driver not claim VAT back - it is a business expense after all!

Don't think a taxi driver would have much use for a commercial, 2 seat veichle though!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mailman, explain that.. interested for the fact I would love to tell your one that they got the cars impounded, she was smug when she said "I know that she can get it back, believe me"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Mailman wrote:
    If they are not paying VRT then they are up to the same tricks as some of the high flyers from last year who were diddling the system and had their cars impounded last year.

My understanding was that they were paying VRT, it was VAT that were dodging.
    They were putting 6,000 miles on the cars before bringing them into the VRO so that they wouldnt get stung for VAT aswell as VRT (under 6k mls is considered "new" and liable for VAT).

There is no way to get back VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

nm wrote:
    My understanding was that they were paying VRT, it was VAT that were dodging.
    They were putting 6,000 miles on the cars before bringing them into the VRO so that they wouldnt get stung for VAT aswell as VRT (under 6k mls is considered "new" and liable for VAT).

There is no way to get back VRT.

Maybe she's got a disabled passenger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The scheme was described in topic
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=272580&page=2
    They'd pay no VAT and evade a further 10% VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

a good friend of mines father is wheelchair bound. From what iv been told, he doesnt have to pay vrt on a vehichle. Once he goes to sell it to someone who is not disabled,then vrt will have to be paid. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VRT doesn't ever have to be repaid, as long as you keep the car for 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whizzbangmcgui

Everyone who imports a vehicle from abroad has to pay full VRT unless:

1. They have proof of living abroad and buying the vehicle, insuring it etc. for a period of at least 6 months before importing into Ireland, and also have proof that they are now resident in Ireland.

2. It's a commercial vehicle, in which case VRT is a flat rate of €50.

3. It's a disabled enabled vehicle being imported by a disabled person (note: not just that the owner is disabled, but that the owner is disabled and the vehicle is also disabled enabled) in which case there are certain reliefs.

All this info is readily available on the revenue website. Why don't you go look it up and get the info from the horses mouth instead of relying on 3rd hand info from the likes of me from message boards......................

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Isn't the current hybrid 50% VRT system a rebate, rather than a lower rate? Could that explain the misunderstanding? Unless the term "rebate" is a misnomer, I'd assume you pay the full rate and get the 50% returned to you? Or maybe the dealer reclaims the rebate after paying the difference in VRT on a new hybrid themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Everyone who imports a vehicle from abroad has to pay full VRT unless:

1. They have proof of living abroad and buying the vehicle, insuring it etc. for a period of at least 6 months before importing into Ireland, and also have proof that they are now resident in Ireland.

2. It's a commercial vehicle, in which case VRT is a flat rate of €50.

3. It's a disabled enabled vehicle being imported by a disabled person (note: not just that the owner is disabled, but that the owner is disabled and the vehicle is also disabled enabled) in which case there are certain reliefs.

All this info is readily available on the revenue website. Why don't you go look it up and get the info from the horses mouth instead of relying on 3rd hand info from the likes of me from message boards......................

Just as well you dragged up this old ass thread to give more of the "readily available" info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 whizzbangmcgui

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

:eek: Ouch.

ouch what?

the last post on this thread before yours was on Old 30-01-2006, 19:21

why would you reply to a post over 2 years old for no reason?

oldposts.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement