Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Network cable unplugged"

• 27-01-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Greetings and salutations.

Here's the problem. I'm using a (very retro) ZyXEL Prestige 630 ADSL modem (USB) for UTV's Clicksilver 3meg package. Since yesterday, every few minutes (the interval varies from a few seconds to a long while) Windows kindly informs me that a network cable for the connection has been unplugged, and the ADSL signal icon in the system tray turns blue as opposed to green, indicating a loss of signal. Of course, I can't use it until the signal magically comes back. By itself. For no reason.

One possibility is that my phone line is dodgy, however when I plug a phone into the line, I get a crystal-clear dialtone and I've had no previous problems with it since it was replaced all those years ago.

This has actually been happening on rare occasions ever since I signed up to their service two years ago. In the past when this has happened, sometimes I would not get a signal until I unplugged the USB cable and plugged it back in, or disabled and re-enabled the connection in Network Connections under LAN/Broadband connections.

Any idea what the problem is? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Did you check your network cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭aido_2006

Can you use ethernet? Try un-installing and re-installing usb drivers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 cockmynut

No, can't use ethernet unfortunately, only USB. I might try a reinstall.

And the cables are all fine as far as I can tell. Maybe it's just some instability from the recent upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

When it happens you should have a look in Device Manager for conflicts.

Also is there a light on the modem that signifies it’s connected to the computer. Check that because if that light is on when you get the message then its more likely to be a software thing then a hardware thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

hey cockmynut....did you ever get to the bottom of this, i'm having a similar problem....i rekon its the modem although it looks ok in device manager cause i installed it on another laptop i got hold of and the situation remains the same

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

This was a very common problem for both my parents and me (seperate addresses) with BT. I never got to the bottom of it and moved to NTL instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I had the same problem about 3 years ago with NTL, the problem was with NTL, too many users in the area, they did and upgrade and never the problem again.

Regards

Advertisement