Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Landcruiser

Options
  • 27-01-2006 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

A mate of mine is after ordering one during the week.. black commercial SWB with Toyota wind deflectors on the doors and privacy tints.

33,400 he got it for.. List is 36! Amazing the discounts on them for straight deals. 04 ones are selling for 31,500 !! They seem to be rock solid residual wise - 05 ones are selling for 600 quid less than he paid for a new one.

Anyone use one? What are they like day in, day out to use? Punchy enough performance on normal roads etc?

I think for a 4X4 they are pretty nice looking and if I needed one I'd go for the Landcruiser.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

I drove on of these recently, the 3l Turbodiesel is a bit of a rocketship.. much better performance than most..though it will guzzle juice if ya hammer it. By far my favourite 4x4 machine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

I think the commercial SWB 3.0TDI is 160 odd brake, should be punchy enough.. it has 400 odd NM of torque :D

I was wondering about fuel alright.. what do you get out of a tank in them assuming a mix of city driving and a few longer stretches but no off-road stuff? I will convince him to bring it off road for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Big Balls wrote:
    it has 400 odd NM of torque :D

I was wondering about fuel alright.. what do you get out of a tank in them assuming a mix of city driving and a few longer stretches but no off-road stuff? I will convince him to bring it off road for sure!

410 nm to be precise.

they're not too hard on Diesel either, we were getting 32mpg combined, mainly due to 6 speed gearbox, engine barelt ticking over at 120kmph, compared to 3800rpm on 2.5 Pajero for example.

Added to that, the Land Cruiser is full time 4WD, so it's way grippier than a Trooper/Pajero etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Big Balls wrote:
    A mate of mine is after ordering one during the week.. black commercial SWB with Toyota wind deflectors on the doors and privacy tints.

33,400 he got it for.. List is 36!

Lotta money for a van

He could have got a real car like a Golf GTI for that :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

Lotta money for a van

A golf GTI isn't much good for towing, if it was maybe the Golf GTI would have a 45% market share in it's segment..............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

we have an old model 98 GX land cruiser 3.0 ltr SWB, we were looking at the new ones and had a test drive of one, but my dad finds the engine a bit chopper than the old one he has. I dont know really what he means but he says its not the same

He wants to go for a nissan patrol now but they are massive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Have an 04 LWB myself, putting up the miles at the moment, 62k, fantastic 4x4, I would comment that the SWB would not be as stable on the road but overall a lovely drive (5 speed), nice extras-a/c etc, I do tow quite a bit (1.25t on average) so I did notice a slight change in mpg, 28-30 with an €86-88 fill, seems very stable at 120km/h ish :rolleyes:

Lotta money for a van

Hope you're enjoying yours Crowded! ;)

He could've nearly bought a GTI for that money alright but he has no interest really. He's always wanted a f**k off jeep so I'm chuffed for him.

I did question him about knowing how much it will be to fill it up from empty and he was a bit shocked but it's a heavy yoke and has a lot of power for doing what it's meant to do so I'm not surprised. He'll be carrying bass bins and other DJ gear as he does a fair bit of mobile stuff so it'll cope effortlessly.

If I was in the market for a jeep I think I'd buy one.

Sparky-s wrote:
    we have an old model 98 GX land cruiser 3.0 ltr SWB, we were looking at the new ones and had a test drive of one, but my dad finds the engine a bit chopper than the old one he has. I dont know really what he means but he says its not the same
    :D

the 98 had the old 3.0 TD engine, the new one has the 3.0 D-4D engine, as the new one is a common rail engine, it has a different sound to the old turbo diesel. the new one sort of barks when you rev it up, white the old one is smoother but not as responsive

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We have a '03 LWB commerical Landcruiser. Love it.

Used for work on sites. Travels up muddy hills, through ploughed fields with ease. Often pulls heavy trailers through those conditions, fuel bowsers etc.

Comfortable to drive on long trips. Over taking isn't a problem either :D

Can be costly to fill. About €80+from empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

there was something a while back on the landcruisers that the tyre threads, i think on the front seemed to wear out more than the rest would, i dont suppose this still happens on the new land cruisers does it.
    Because i know my dad is looking for a new one, but is looking at other models such as the
    Nissan Patrol
    Pajero, (but finds the back smaller)
    and of course the Land cruiser

I think he is loyal to the land cruiser because he has had one since 1986.

the Landcruiser is full time 4wd, the Pajero rear wheel drive most of the time, the Pajero will wear the rear wheels quicker, the cruiser will wear both fairly evenly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The TLC is THE benchmark for reliability against which all others are judged.
    The model which we get here is really the Prado (global) or Colorado(uk) not the true landcruiser which is probably not sophisticated enough for this market.
    I have a 97 3.0 TD SWB and have put 80k hard miles on it with the only problem being a starter motor in that time and a pair of back shocks and steering rack bushes, considering that it had 108k when I bought it it has worn quite well.
    That said I service it regularly and am very particular with the maintenance especially with gearbox and transfer box oil changes and greasing the UJ's and propshaft.
    These vehicles need a small bit more maintenance than a car but then again they are more a light truck than a car.
    Permanent 4wd means that the front rubber gets a harder time than other jeeps but it also has to deal with a fair bit of torque as well.
    I get about 15k out of a pair of front tires.
    I have found the best so far are Hankook Dynagrip,
    and I have had, michelin,bridgestone,pirelli,BFG, and a few others.

the nice thing about the Landcruiser is there's no Pajero style oversteer!

The landcruiser is a great wagon to drive hard, it is heavy and sticks to the road like Shít to a blanket.
    I have pushed mine a few times and only once felt the back end start to drift maybe thats because it is a SWB. I love it and won't change for the new model, they are too flashy for me.Faster perhaps but more softroader than offroader.

i reckon the new models are just as tough as the old ones

How much are the tyres a corner lads?

Big Balls wrote:
    How much are the tyres a corner lads?

200 yoyos should cover it

if you can afford to buy one, you can afford to run one

True.. that's not bad anyway, tyres were a thing he was moaning about a lot but sure that's barely more than I paid for 18" Goodyear F1s.

You are being robbed at €200 ea.mind you they are 17" on the new model.
    I pay approx €125 for the 265/70/16's on mine.

• Advertisement

depends on what brand you're putting on, and whether you're doing 4 wheel alignment when you put a set of 4 on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Big Balls wrote:
    A mate of mine is after ordering one during the week..

33,400 he got it for.. List is 36!

Where'd he get that deal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Boggins127

I really love this machine never fails me...Even if i didnt have the work for it me being a farmer...i'd still buy one privatly gr8 car / jeep powerfull nippy and fast noone will **** wit u in one of these big balled machines....Thanks
    Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Anyone know where I could get a full body shell for a 1974 FJ40 ????
    OR should I improvise and put it through the SVT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Wow , just shy of 2 years. Another 6 weeks and you would have got a special "digging up" shovel badge. Schoolboy error. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I got a new Landcruiser in '05 and had it for a year and 50,000km....great jeep...never a problem.....as big 4x4's go it has pretty good road manners and is comfortable on long journeys, however compared to a car it is quite bouncy (swb model) and leans in corners with alot of body roll, its also quite thirsty compared to a diesel car (27/28mpg)
    Off road its great with good low range and excelent clearence but would benifit from mud tyres
    To sugest a Golf gti as an alternitive is missing the point.......

Advertisement