Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV NEW Packages here!

• 27-01-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭

Have a look here: http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/

Having a look now.

EDIT: Had a look the caps are a complete joke. 20Gb for the plus when everyone else is 30Gb. The unlimited is tempting but you'd have to wonder what UTV consider fair usage with caps like those!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Contract duration is down to 6 months anyway:

http://www.utvclicksilver.com/faqans.asp?id=12

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Irishstabber

Jesus we had a bigger cap on 512, now the 1mb package is 6GB!!...

Btw where do it say about unlimited cap?

Edit: Do current 3mb customers get the new cap?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

New users get first three months unlimited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Do current 3mb customers get the new cap?

Jazus did you look at the link????

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

I made the right decision 2 weeks ago by leaving them :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I've just popped a request to the support team about some more detailed info on what Unlimited Usage actually means, I suppose it's at least a step in the right direction.........and with the contract length down I may just give them another 6 months.....we'll see.....

Unlimited €5.99 extra. But their caps are now lower than Eircom's. Can you believe it. They must really want to get out of the business down here.

Disgustingly insulting products for their longtime (foolish) customers.

It's off to BT, god help us :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭WhatsGoingOn

Dubsmax wrote:
    I made the right decision 2 weeks ago by leaving them :D
    €15.99 for 1Mb/6Gb is a good price...(Clicksilver one)
    I don't download much, just use the broadband for surfing, so the cap wouldn't be an issue, only used 1.4Gb so far this month.
    A lot of people would be in a similar situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Wihoo, I get an extra 4 miserable gigabytes a month:mad:

Unlimited usage:

http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/usage_policy.asp

The Unlimited usage promotion is subject to the following Fair Usage Policy. This offer is for Clicksilver One, Clicksilver and Clicksilver Plus only. It does NOT apply to Clicksilver Lite.

What is the Fair Usage Policy?

UTV Internet’s Fair Usage Policy is designed to make sure your broadband service is quick and reliable whenever you use it.

A very small number of customers use Peer to Peer or file sharing software, which constantly sends and receives video and other very large files, throughout the day. This type of activity uses a lot of bandwidth and can significantly reduce the speed at which other customers can access the internet during peak hours. Approximately 1% of customers use more than 30% of the available bandwidth during peak hours. We don't believe this is fair to the vast majority of our customers.

This fair usage policy automatically identifies the very small number of extremely heavy users and we reserve the right to manage their bandwidth only during peak hours (6pm to 11pm Monday to Sunday), to protect the service for all our other customers. Outside peak hours, the use of the internet by these heavy users is unaffected.

We think this is the fairest approach. It protects the quality of service for the vast majority of our customers when they most use the service, while at the same time allowing the extremely heavy users to continue to send and receive without restriction outside of peak hours.

How do I know if I will be affected by this?

If you don't use Peer to Peer or file sharing software it is unlikely you will ever be affected by this Fair Usage Policy. If you do use Peer to Peer or file sharing software, all we ask is that you use this software considerately and send and receive large files outside of peak hours.

If you are affected, we will contact you by email to let you know that your usage at peak hours is excessive and is affecting other customers. The email will be sent to your specified email address and will contain simple advice on how to reduce your usage.

If your usage is still excessive, we will contact you again by email to ask you to reduce your sending and receiving of large files during peak hours. If your usage still remains excessive during peak hours, we will contact you a third time to advise you that we will be restricting your bandwidth during peak hours for the good of all other customers. This restriction will only apply during peak hours and there will be no restriction at other times of the day.

How can I manage my usage?

Simply ensure that any file sharing, sending and receiving of large file is done outside of peak hours.

What happens to customers who are affected by the Fair Usage Policy?

During peak hours, customers affected by the fair usage policy will share bandwidth with each other and will be separated from other customers. The amount of bandwidth available for affected customers to share, will be at least as much as for those customers unaffected by the policy.

The speed affected customers experience when downloading at peak hours will therefore depend on what these customers are doing. If they are all web-browsing and reading emails, they will experience normal broadband speed. If on the other hand they are using Peer to Peer or file sharing software they will experience slow broadband speed. Outside of peak hours, no restrictions will apply.

Note to Existing Clicksilver Customers:

The 3 month free Unlimited Usage policy applies to new, first time broadband connections, who sign up during the promotional period (27 January 2006 – 31 st March 2006). We reserve the right to extend or withdraw this offer at our discretion without prior notice. Existing Clicksilver Customers (except those on ‘Lite’) can sign up to have their Clicksilver tariff changed to unlimited usage for only €5.99 per month extra. The change in bandwidth will happen at the beginning of the next calendar month. Existing Clicksilver Customers should be able to login to their online account and select the new option from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Willymuncher

The unlimited usage package seems to be alright though, none of the other providers have this...handy for those utv users who have to be cut off or charged for going over their cap every month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, 5.99 for "unlimited" beats the 32 quid i'm paying this month for breaking the 8 gig cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

The sweet part of the deal is that the new caps won't come into effect until next month. Lovely.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Existing customers are capped. I've got my dd forms for digiweb. :D
    20 gb transfer and no charges for going over, no cut off either. They only throttle you if the network is busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

The unlimited usage package seems to be alright though, none of the other providers have this...handy for those utv users who have to be cut off or charged for going over their cap every month.

I would be VERY wary of this so called unlimited package!
    An aussie telco tried the same stunt and started traffic shaping after 20GB of transfers!

You have been warned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

€15.99 for 1Mb/6Gb is a good price...(Clicksilver one)
    I don't download much, just use the broadband for surfing, so the cap wouldn't be an issue, only used 1.4Gb so far this month.
    A lot of people would be in a similar situation.
    On the face of it it looks OK but it goes up to €20.99 after 3 months plus line rental giving you a total of €45.17. From 1st of feb you'll be able to get 2mb including line rental from BT for €35.
    Paying €5.99 for unlimited and attaching a FUP to it is a joke. The most likely people to sign up for it would be P2P users only to have their connections throttled if they use it during peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

That Cap is farcial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a joke allright in terms of the competition. However such is the PITA of swapping providers that I'm going to stick with them I can live with 12 GB. I dont torrent!

Mike.

ps I feel dirty now :(

Mike,

I have only once reached my cap limit but that isn't really the point. I would like the opportunity to go mad if the notion occassionally struck me. I have stuck with them before when my conscience told me otherwise. This time I'm off. I hope Kaizersoze's advice on another thread works and I wont have any downtime. Even if I do, I can live with it.

They seem to have really lost the plot this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

UTV may yet be an object lesson in how to blow almost unlimited intital good will.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭macronot

Does anyone know if existing customers will have to sign up for the new caps or will be given them automatically.
    I would expect the way things are going that they will try and get everyone to sign up for there new terms and conditions forcing the disconnection fees on everyone.

I am so disapointed with this offer.
    Think i will be transferring my bb to bt to get the extra 8gb for the same price.
    and might as well transfer the phone over to get the 14 euro discount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Do these caps come into effect now or the 1st of February?

Just making sure if my January cap is 16GB or 20GB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Drustan

macronot wrote:
    Does anyone know if existing customers will have to sign up for the new caps or will be given them automatically.
    I would expect the way things are going that they will try and get everyone to sign up for there new terms and conditions forcing the disconnection fees on everyone.

I am so disapointed with this offer.
    Think i will be transferring my bb to bt to get the extra 8gb for the same price.
    and might as well transfer the phone over to get the 14 euro discount.

Already done myself. Shame really as i never had any issues with the service from them. Ahh well consumer power here we come. As Eddie Hobs says *for you UTV "there's more going out than there is coming in"

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Folks it looks like we only have to give 7 days notice:

"16.1.2 by you giving 7 days notice if we inform you of a material change to the Service or we give notice of an amendment to this Agreement pursuant to Clause 17 where such changes are to your detriment"

This is for those who signed up before july 2005 ( http://u.tv/utvclicksilver/tandc_upto_20050701.asp )

UTV have informed us of a material change to the service....this is an "either or" scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

plazzTT wrote:
    Do these caps come into effect now or the 1st of February?

Just making sure if my January cap is 16GB or 20GB.

Did you not read my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭neonitrix

transfer forms requested from bt - goodbye forever UTV

neonitrix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

I was hoping they would have at least put the cap upto 20GB for their 2Mb line, and since they havent im cant wait to jump ship.

Only thing is that the only other BB provider that i want to go with is smart (have wanted to go to them since they started up) and i dont have the option of changing my phone number becaue its a business line:eek: . Im sure there are loads of people out there who are in the same boat. Is there anyway of speeding up the problem that smart are having with eircom:confused::confused::confused: . They must be losing a serious amount of customers because of this.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: God damn you eircom:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm lucky enough that the number change is OK by me. I'm off to Smart as soon as I can, though have to switch back to Eircom temporarily to get an account number.

My first choice would have been NTL, but they are not yet available in my area (North Strand).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

spurious wrote:
    I'm lucky enough that the number change is OK by me. I'm off to Smart as soon as I can, though have to switch back to Eircom temporarily to get an account number.

My first choice would have been NTL, but they are not yet available in my area (North Strand).

I made the change from UTV to Smart and boy was it painful.

If your line rental is with UTV it can go wrong and take ages. Firstly you have to give UTV a month's notice of cancellation. Then you have to get a termination number off them as smart will require this. Follow up UTV as they were slow to cancel my line and it caused further problems for me. then you have to contact Eircom and tell them you want to return to them for telephone service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

maybe i missing something but if you're not a heavy user why move to BT....if you compare like with like the offerings from utv and bt are the same except for the cap on the plus package...admittedly its quiet a bit more but most people will never come near this limit..

when you include broadband, line rental and the telephone package both charge the same money...

Esat

2mb.........€54..........12GB
    3mb.........€64..........30GB

UTV

2mb.........€55..........12GB
    3mb.........€65..........20GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

kaizersoze wrote:
    From 1st of feb you'll be able to get 2mb including line rental from BT for €35.
    It'll be €40 for the 2MB line and line rental:
    Discounted 'bundle' offers available across all three broadband products when ordered with landline including:
    - 1Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €35 per month in total
    - 2Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €40 per month in total
    - 3Mb Broadband with Line Rental for €50 per month in total

Very good value all round.

Advertisement