Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USB Key Prob WinXP Pro

• 27-01-2006 2:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

whenever i connect a usb key it installs ok and all that, but i cannot see it in mycomputer.

they used to work before.

external hardrives don't work either.

other usb devices do work, ie my phone

i have two partitions on my hd and several network drives, don't think this should make any difference, but thougth i'd mention it.

anyone have any ideas what the prob could be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

themole wrote:
    i have two partitions on my hd and several network drives, don't think this should make any difference, but thougth i'd mention it.

That's most likely it.

Right-click on My Computer -> Manage -> Disk Management -- is the USB disk/HDD listed?
    Try right-click on it -> Change Drive Letter and Paths and see if there's a letter left:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

themole wrote:
    whenever i connect a usb key it installs ok and all that, but i cannot see it in mycomputer.

they used to work before.

external hardrives don't work either.

other usb devices do work, ie my phone

Doesnt matter how many netword drives you have as long as there is a letter left to designate a drive. Do as karoma says and go into disk managment, make sure that you can see it there, chances are there may be no formatting on the drive, if it lists it but dosnt have FAT or NTFS listed as the file system go ahead and do a format on it.

And hey presto it should appear in your my computer, to make sure its definatly connected to your computer double click on the green arrow thingy beside your clock to make sure your memory key is conected might say something like "USB 128mb Memory Bird" or whatever your key is called.

Let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

i checked out the disc managament,

the drive is there as drive F, as a 15MB FAT partition, which is what the usb key is

there is a different F drive in my computer which is a network drive.

from within the disc management s/w i try to explore the "F, as a 15MB FAT partition", but it opens the F network drive.

any one have any ideas?

i have attached print screens of the discmanager op and mycomputer, both when the usb key is connected. the two unknown partitions in disc manager are a linus partition and its swap partition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

ok.

i seem to have solved this.

i changed the drive letter in computer manager to a different unused drive letter and can now see the drive.

when i reconnect the drive it now uses the new drive letter.

hopefully this will work for other usb drives and i don't have to manually change the drive letters each time i add a new one :)

Advertisement