Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Networking 2 PCs

Options
  • 27-01-2006 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I just got a new laptop and I want to set up a network between it and my desktop to transfer files. I thought it would be fairly straightforward, ie. connect them via crossover cable, run networking wizard, transfer files. This didn't work though. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how to set up the network?
    Both comps are using Windows XP home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You using fixed IP addresses or running a DHCP server? You sure that you are sharing something on the network otherwise you will see nothing.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Dynamic IP. Don't know what a DHCP server is so probably no. I've put things in the shared drive folders on both machines and can't see them on the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You sure that both your PC's are getting IP's on the same subnet? i.e. both 192.168.0.*

Have you firewalls installed. That can stop the network also.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 grizi

http://www.cellarstoneindia.com/cable_pdf/Direct_Crossover-_Windows_XP_To_Windows_XP.pdf

Try this guide and if you still have problems then you should
    1 disconnect from the internet (just to be safe)
    2 disable Windows firewall on both PCs
    3 disable Norton personal firewall or whatever firewalls you have
    4 Try to ping one PC from the other again

if this works just click on Start->Run and then type in "\\192.168.0.30" or whatever number you used or even "\\system2" where system2 is the name of the PC you want to connect to. Shared folders should appear then.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

From command prompt do the following commands on both PCs:

ipconfig <if its dynamic, it will be 169.254.*.*> These are APIPA addresses

then try to ping each PC from each other, ie, ping 169.254.*.* {the stars represent what came up as a result of ipconfig}

If you can ping, you should be able to access shared folders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement