Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone using ClearWire in Swords?

Options
  • 27-01-2006 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

My mate lives in Briges Glen in Swords and is looking to get wireless broadband - he wants to get rid of his phone line.

My rooting around leads me to believe that Clearwire are the only working Wireless provider in swords.

Their coverage map from their website is quite small, but show's the coverage area stopping just short of Brides Glen.

Has anyone out there from Swords got ClearWire? Maybe even up around the Brides Glen area?

Any first hand experiences greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

dancin wrote:
    My mate lives in Briges Glen in Swords and is looking to get wireless broadband - he wants to get rid of his phone line.

My rooting around leads me to believe that Clearwire are the only working Wireless provider in swords.

Their coverage map from their website is quite small, but show's the coverage area stopping just short of Brides Glen.

Has anyone out there from Swords got ClearWire? Maybe even up around the Brides Glen area?

Any first hand experiences greatly appreciated.

u should probably read some of the other posts about them. not to popular at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ghost26ie wrote:
    u should probably read some of the other posts about them

Read them with a pinch of salt, though. I have Clearwire in Naas and have no major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

IrishTLR wrote:
    Read them with a pinch of salt, though. I have Clearwire in Naas and have no major problems.

i have 1 friend in naas who has it and on teamspeak its like listening to gareth gates. the fact on 1 of the thread there is 20+ pages of posts mostly bad, i take it seriously.

ghost26ie wrote:
    i have 1 friend in naas who has it and on teamspeak its like listening to gareth gates.
    Is that a good thing or bad thing? :) In fairness, TS is sort of a different kettle of fish. He is propably setup for a much lower bit rate than even G.729. There are some bit rates in TS that only take 2Kbps. That will make you sound real tinny.

the fact on 1 of the thread there is 20+ pages of posts mostly bad, i take it seriously.
    While this may be true, some of those posts were not Cleawires fault but rather blaming the bad kid of the hour without investigation. Addmitidly, I was one of those the odd time.

I'm not saying CW are blameless but they are not as bad as a lot of people make them out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

oh ffs!

clearsh1te are useless...

stop apologising for one of the worst shower of chancers since IBB!

FYI dancin Clearsh1te do the following:

- Block VOIP when they see fit
    - Block gaming networks such as Steam and Gamespy as they see fit
    - Block Streaming media when they see fit
    - Shape internet traffic
    - Block P2P and Bit Torrent altogether
    - Charge outrageous prices for a product that doesn't work

Avoid at all cost!

I've had serious issues with this shower since October and right now am enjoying pings of 2600 in Counter Strike, 2200 in BF2, No VOIP, downloads seemingly capped at 7 Kbps...

Avoid! BTW if you ring there customer support (which most of the time seem like nice people) you'll be treated like a king and promised the heavens but they'll never do a thing on your connection...

Just save the time and avoid them!

By the way http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054848649 really speaks for itself. Read through that and you'll see how 'good' a choice clearsh1te is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

IrishTlr, can you not just accept that you're probably the ONE lucky clearsh*te customer who's actually happy with their service (although how happy can you be when you keep on paying for your BT dsl service because you KNOW you can't rely on Clearsh*te!)

Don't get Clearwire! They are atrocious, they're as bad as IBB in fact they're worse, IBB don't block ports!

eth0_ wrote:
    IrishTlr, can you not just accept that you're probably the ONE lucky clearsh*te customer who's actually happy with their service
    Done, Coz I must be :)
    IBB don't block ports!
    IBB have ports?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

eth0_ wrote:
    IrishTlr, can you not just accept that you're probably the ONE lucky clearsh*te customer who's actually happy with their service (although how happy can you be when you keep on paying for your BT dsl service because you KNOW you can't rely on Clearsh*te!)

Don't get Clearwire! They are atrocious, they're as bad as IBB in fact they're worse, IBB don't block ports!

Well IrishTlr can't be the only lucky customer because I'm happy too after some inital problems. When the big outage was 3 weeks ago and my modem was not picking up any signal on Wednesday, they send out a guy who actualy spend some time fixing it.

VoiP works fine, VPN works fine, surfing works fine, streaming of movies/sound works fine too, downloading gigs is a pleasure. Now I can't say about P2P or other stuff as I don't do that. But for what I use it it's there and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hi dancin...

The quality of service is going to vary from area to area especially with wireless BB. I cannot comment about clearwire, but I am with IBB and I have had few problems with my 2meg connection. Guess I'm just lucky.

Best thing to do is, get your mate to subscribe. They are doing an introductory rate for 3 months i think at the moment. Try it, see how he gets on and if he's not happy, tell them no thanks!

Not trying to be smart, but you will not get a clear definitive answer from people here. As i said, it varies from area to area so you will get different reviews and comments. Best thing to is, try it or dump it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I have never had any problems with the basic Clearwire service, and that's in a few different locations. But... Skype doesn't work reliably and streaming audio doesn't work reliably and from what I gather from other people, gaming doesn't work reliably. That's a pretty serious pisser offer with a service that isn't any cheaper than ADSL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Thanks for all the replies.

My mate has been looking into Clearwire because he wants to ditch Eircom, and use VIOP (as well as basic broadband). Another mate has this setupo in the UK and is delighted with it.

Sounds though like this would be a problem on Clearwire.

I'll let him know what the view's here are and let him decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Your mate would be much better off switching to ADSL with BT Ireland. They're not only cheaper but also better. If you have a phoneline, there is no reason to use Clearwire.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Hody

Blaster99 wrote:
    Your mate would be much better off switching to ADSL with BT Ireland. They're not only cheaper but also better. If you have a phoneline, there is no reason to use Clearwire.

But what alternatives are there if you dont want to get a phoneline?! IBB, I heard the same story about them, or ICE, or Digiweb?! Any advice?!

Advertisement