Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb DSL or Eircom DSL?

• 27-01-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi

After a very bad experience with Irishbroadband over the last few weeks i have finally got rid of them. What i dont want to do is sign up with another poor performing service. My only options are DSL, i am thinking of the 2mb digiweb service but have also read recent threads about people experiencing bad performance from them.

Any recommendations and thoughts from Digiweb DSl and Eircom DSL users? Which one provider would you go for and why? btw Smart is not available in my area..

thanks
    adam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Eircom all the way.

Why go with something different when you know that eircom will always give you a helping hand in times of need!

Go with BT Ireland and save yourself some money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have been with digiweb for the last 2 years and have found them generally very good. I've had a few problems which were down to Eircom (I think the recent problems are down to them too!) - don't forget digiweb are just resellers. I'm now in the process of changing to smart who are totally independent of Eircom:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Well as a BT Ireland DSL user I'm extremely happy...

The service is stable at 1.72 Mb up, 220Kb down and installing was simplicity itself...

The only problem I have had is that tech support is extremely bad, however you can get most of the help you need from the boards...

I've heard stories of people waiting weeks for the router to be sent out however I was waiting for 12 days after my intitial order on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

hi

just looking at the bt ireland deals now, and they seem quite good. Thinking of going for the 3mb connection which is 25 euro a month for the first 4 months and then 40euro a month after that term

does anyone have any experience of their 3mb service? I was with them when they were known as esat bt and there service was so slow..

anyone know what the contention ratio is on the 3mb service, cant seem to find it on their website.

thanks
    adam

Im not sure what you mean about slow but I have their 3Mb connection and its well....nice and fast.

No need to say any more about it I guess.

• Advertisement

thanks zuma. any idea what the 3mb upload speed is? and what the contention ratio is?

cheers

Well its an eircom bitstream product so the upload will be the same as all the others...384k...though Im having some trouble with them at the moment(currently at 288k for some stupid reason)!

Contention is 24:1

Its far cheaper than the eircom equiv and with the line rental offer is also far cheaper than Digiweb.
    BT is a HUGE company...far larger than eircom...and a multitude of times larger than UTV and Digiweb combined and I had no worries in moving to them.
    The bad billing dept. scenario follows them in boards.ie...but isnt as common as you might think as the boards.ie members are not a true representation of BTIrelands actual customer population.
    Most of BTIrelands customers have no idea that the broadband forum on boards.ie exists as its more of a techies only community.

3m/384k at €50 a month incl line rental is actually fairly decent value for Ireland at any rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

digitaldr wrote:
    I have been with digiweb for the last 2 years and have found them generally very good. I've had a few problems which were down to Eircom (I think the recent problems are down to them too!) - don't forget digiweb are just resellers. I'm now in the process of changing to smart who are totally independent of Eircom:)

Not entirely. Esp. not for Wireless BB, which unlike IBB, works well and includes a phone connection allowing nearly 27Euro saving on Eircom line rental

thanks zuma, nice info. Very pleased about the 384k upload, and as you say way cheaper then the eircom equivalent. friend of mine out in patrickswell is actually using the digiweb metro service and is loving it, rarely drops below 2.8mb down. Unfortunately i am out in killaloe area so metro is not available, plus there does seem to be some teething issues with it, although nowhere near the issues IBB are having!

right, decision made - going with the 3mb from bt ireland :)

thanks for your input
    adam

Advertisement