Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convince me not to play Shaman

• 27-01-2006 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Ok i am mad to play a Shaman now. Will i get totally murdered in PvP?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Totems, totems, totems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

hmm shaman bad points....

you dont automatically get 60 upon creation of one is the only thing that comes to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

so they're good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Try a priest.

ok try a priest isn't so helpful..

it's just, any post i've seen seems to argue about Mage, Rogue and warrior/Druid.

Nothing ever gets mentioned about Shaman

• Advertisement

Shammys hmm...

They can heal / dps / tank. They have a 40% increase travel form at 20. They have totems which buff you and your party. They can self res and res others. Mail armour at 40.

The only real drawback in a Shammy is that their dps is burst, one their out of mana they are pretty gimp (unless spec'd right to melee).

Rogue sounds interesting as well. But i know there are lots of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭Chavster

IMO Shamans are good fun to play up until lvl 60. After that a lot of people will expecet you to spec fully resto for mana tide totem for use in the end game instances.

Not that you have to or anything just a resto shammy will more likely get the spot than an elemental or enhancement..

If you fancy doing a lot of healing then go for Priest, if not maybe look at the other classes...

You should start one up and see how you like it..

If i was to go against a Warrior or Mage. Would a shaman lose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

Depends on how well you know how skilled each set of players was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭abccormac

If i was to go against a Warrior or Mage. Would a shaman lose?
    God almighty, just play whatever class you find fun. There is no one class that will guarantee you will do well in PVP, they all have thir own strengths and weaknesses.

jesus. I will.

I have read alot about Rogues being Impossible to beat as Shaman though...

Grrr melee or ranged!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Shammies are a lot of fun.
    Up to lv60 you can quite comfortably solo mobs quite a few levels above you. Parties love your totems (especially Mana Spring/ Tide), and you can either go as Tank or Healer (or a bit of both). At lv 20 you get Ghost Wolf, so don't have to walk everywhere. You can Hearthstone every 15 minutes instead of every hour, you can breathe under water, you can walk *on* water and you can heal poison/ disease, you can self-rez every hour (or 40 mins with talents) and you can rez others.
    Bad points:
    You will have a *lot* of downtime drinking water to regain mana. Others can get impatient with you sitting down to drink after every fight.
    At lv60 the fact that you are a hybrid becomes very apparent. You are never the best healer, nor the best damage dealer, but always somewhere in the middle.
    And as mentioned, you probably will (have to) repsec resto at lv60 to be of any use to your party.

jesus. I will.

I have read alot about Rogues being Impossible to beat as Shaman though...

Grrr melee or ranged!
    As a rogue I find shammy's difficult to beat in duels tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

you would actually have a single character levelled to at least 20 if you stuck to a decision.

Aye, just try a few classes, see what you like. Should be able to make to get a good idea by 20 which doesn't take that long to get to.

I rolled a preist as my second toon and good god was I bored by lvl15.

ha ha i'm soo indecisive. yesterday i made a Mage, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter and Shaman. I got bored of Warlock and Mage really quickly. I presume they get better as you hit higher lvl's. I am going to stick with Shaman i think. Got a lvl7 one now and enjoying it. Although the totems are useless. Like the damage reduction totem... Reduces attacks by 3. It's not even a percentage!. It's literally 3. So when i'm getting hit for like 40 damage... it goes down to 37 lol.

Hunter would be my second choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Bartonprince, it is nigh on impossible to tell what a class is actually like to play if you only spend 3 levels playing them.

The classes only REALLY diverge at around lvl 20 or so.

Choose a class, stick to it and stop bloody posting about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Indeed, I wouldn't make any decision about a class until you get to level 20. I wouldn't worry about high-level too much as you seem to addicted to alts to get there any time soon. :)

Having said that, if you roll a class that can heal you *will* be expected to do almost nothing but heal when you join large groups to raid dungeons at high level. If healing isn't something you're interested in doing then don't pick a healer to level up to 60.

If PVP ownage is your thing, and you reckon you'll take ages to get to 60 then you'd be wise to pick a damage-dealing class that doesn't need gear to do well. Hunter (beast spec), Rogue and Mage are all good there. If you can see yourself sticking with the game up to level 60 and beyond into dungeon raiding then I would suggest the Hunter. They are the best damage class to play in raids bar none!

Here's me:

http://wow.allakhazam.com/profile.html?725869

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I have had the same problem as you, Started off with a Lock leveled him to 20, got bored with him, decided to go with a mage because of the High damage they can cause, still playing with the mage have him at 49 so far.

But i also have a rogue( love the whole sneaky part ) playing him along with my mage so far he is lvl17.

Its hard to find a good one, but the mage is what i feel is the one for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

ha ha i'm soo indecisive. yesterday i made a Mage, Warlock, Rogue, Hunter and Shaman. I got bored of Warlock and Mage really quickly. I presume they get better as you hit higher lvl's. I am going to stick with Shaman i think. Got a lvl7 one now and enjoying it. Although the totems are useless. Like the damage reduction totem... Reduces attacks by 3. It's not even a percentage!. It's literally 3. So when i'm getting hit for like 40 damage... it goes down to 37 lol.

Hunter would be my second choice.

I think totems are the best, and hardest, bit of being a shaman. As you level up you will get more and more totems, and using the right one for the right time. There are all sorts of totems - ones for cleansing poison/ disease, slow fleeing mobs, regen mana, regen health, reduce threat, reduce damage, increase strength, increase agility...
    It gets quite confusing, and a good shaman will use a large selection of totems instead of the few reliables.

fjon wrote:
    I think totems are the best, and hardest, bit of being a shaman. As you level up you will get more and more totems, and using the right one for the right time. There are all sorts of totems - ones for cleansing poison/ disease, slow fleeing mobs, regen mana, regen health, reduce threat, reduce damage, increase strength, increase agility...
    It gets quite confusing, and a good shaman will use a large selection of totems instead of the few reliables.

I got to lvl8 last night, i have a few totems now and i'm enoying it.
    The most useful totem is the one that slows enemys to 50%. When i pick up a trail of aggro, i slap the totem down and it stop everyone behind me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Mac daddy wrote:
    I have had the same problem as you, Started off with a Lock leveled him to 20, got bored with him, decided to go with a mage because of the High damage they can cause, still playing with the mage have him at 49 so far.

But i also have a rogue( love the whole sneaky part ) playing him along with my mage so far he is lvl17.

Its hard to find a good one, but the mage is what i feel is the one for me :)
    hahah you quit a lock in favour of a mage for damage?

loool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omeallage

as far as i know shaman does a bit of everythin nd is a master of none. my prefrence lies wit mage. ice build works well 4 me cos of all d freez nd crit talents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,668 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

As a gnome warrior, i have yet to figure out a way to kill shamans in warsong gulch. At 47, i remember getting absolutely owned by 45 shamans while 1v1 when they get the first attack and i dont get my charge in. When they lay totems, im still unfamiliar with what theyre used for and waste my time by destroying them in a panic and not hitting the shaman.

And yeah, when someone has the flag (be it horde or alliance), that slowing totem is a real pain. Using Insignia Of The Alliance to break out of it is practically useless as a hunter would usually come along with a concussive shot straight away.

Sorry, had too many bad experiences playing with a severely unorganised alliance team against a scarily organised horde team.

Advertisement