Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me decide....

• 27-01-2006 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭

I am in a quandry.
    I want to get a big format TV, but I can't settle on one technology. I keep switching, plasme, projector, nah LCD, but plasmas are cheaper, my CRT is to big, projectors hmmm.......

They way I see it, there are plus and minus to each:

CRT:
    Plus - Good picture, Cheap
    Minus - Dying off, big and heavy

LCD
    Plus - Excellent picture, no consumables, physical size
    Minus - Price, image shadows

PROJECTOR
    Plus - Tiny format, MASSIVE picture
    Minus - Not suitable for regular TV, needs to be a dark room, replacement bulb costs

PLASMA
    Plus - Fairly reasonable picture, physical size, cheaper than lcd
    Minus - need re-charging?, picture is poorer than LCD

REAR PROJECTION
    Plus - Price, Available screen sizes
    Minus - Picture is okay, FAT.

So how do you guys vote. I have no specific budget yet, but this is just so I can seriously research one technology.

Which is the best all rounder 4 votes

CRT
    0% 0 votes
    LCD
    0% 0 votes
    PLASMA
    25% 1 vote
    PROJECTOR
    25% 1 vote
    REAR PROJECTION
    50% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

I own a:

CRT, LCD, PLASMA AND PROJECTOR and just wanted to comment on your plus and minuses:

PLASMA
    Plus - Fairly reasonable picture, physical size, cheaper than lcd
    Fairly reasonable picure? Try looking at mine and your jaw would drop open, nothing fairly reasonable about it - its brilliant!
    Minus - need re-charging?, picture is poorer than LCD
    Recharging? Whats that about? Myth you've been told?
    Picture is poorer than LCD? Where are you coming from with this opinion? Performance depends on the make,model and size!
    LCD
    Plus - Excellent picture, no consumables, physical size
    Some LCD's have really, really poor pictures and some have LCD have great pictures - again, like Plasma it depends on the make, model and size
    Minus - Price, image shadows

Why don't you post again, with your budget, size of room and your usuable viewing and we could give you some pointers. If you don't have a budget to start with, then you might not get the correct answers.

e.g.
    If you are looking to spend €500: Answer: CRT
    If you are looking to spend €1,000: Answer LCD/DLP
    If you are looking to spend up to and over €2,000, LCD, PLASMA and projectors come into the equation

Give some more info and we can then see if we can help you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Thanks for the response Maxwell.

You are dead right, all my info is on what I have been told. I am a complete novice.

Regarding Plasma vs LCD, from what I have seen in shops, I have generally found the LCDs to look better. Although, with the way they split their signals, it is hard to judge.

Currently I have a 32" Phillips flat widescreen TV. So I am currently considering a projector, which i can use for Movies and matches etc. (partially because I have seperate speakers & amp)

But, If i got a decent size LCD/Plasma, I could use that all the time, and move the 32" tv to another room.......

My room is quite big, about 28' long and 14' wide
    Budget, ? probably about €2K at the end of the year.

Seeing as you have four types, which would you vote for. i.e. if you have to get rid of them all, except one, which would you keep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Richard Edwards

comes dwn to budget and size. up to 35" and its lcd or plasma. up to 55", plamsa or rear projection. plasma is tiny in size compared to rear screen tho so probably plasma. anything bigger and it has to be a projector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Well what id do(and have done, Ive a 28" CRT then an 80" PJ image)is get a CRT for your general tv(which you already have).

You may think LCD and plasmas have a great picture but trust me when I say Eastenders etc, shouldnt be put past 40" screen size.

+ get a PJ for Movies, Football(Sky HD soon so make sure its HD ready.)

Just a couple of tips then (don't take these as gospel as we are all subject to misinformation)
    Forget about the CRT option, you have one already

So, you have 2k to spend and your options really (IMO): LCD, PLASMA AND PROJECTOR
    I would personally not buy a DLP as of their back size and the fact that you have to adjust your viewing position in order to view at its optimum. (personal opinon only)

Now I would actually forget the whole Plasma/LCD debate and focus on the size of the screen you are looking at. With 2k, you will be able to afford a 37/42" plasma and a 40" LCD. Now it is just a case of the quality of the screen you can afford and then ensure you include the costs of extra stand, speakers etc. But at the 2k price, you are more than likely going to go for a TV with all built in. Also at the end of the year, the prices will have falled further and you will be able to get a good quality LCD/PLASMA that has some good reviews on it:
    check over here for some great opinions: www.avforums.com and www.homecinemachoice.com

Tip: Most TV's on display in Curry's/Dixons/DID (especially LCD) are showing monsters inc/incredibles shown through a DVD player and of course the picture is fantasic. Before you buy, request to see the screen playing sky/terrestrial channels - then you say see its real quality

To answer your question on which one I had to keep and get rid of, jesus that is a very hard choice!
    Its between the 42" Plasma and my projector. I use the plasma for TV viewing mainly and the projector for movies. - I would have to keep both!!!!!

I love my projector too much, but need the plasma for TV.

After you watch movies on a Projector, it will be very,very hard to go back to a normal viewing!

Nothing beats a projector for the "movie experience"!

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=ClankYou may think LCD and plasmas have a great picture but trust me when I say Eastenders etc, shouldnt be put past 40" screen size[/QUOTE]

Can't agree there!

I have a 42" Plasma that has been "run in" correctly and has the right setting's on it and Eastenders/Emmerdale whatever soap you want, look brilliant on it!
    I am not lying here, I was really concerned at the normal picture quality I thought I might get on a new "Flat Screen" TV, but after looking for advice on www.avforums.com I chose the most reliable 42" HD Ready plasma there was/is: Hitachi PD7200. The image quality is just brilliant and its one of the only Plasma's that hasn't suffered with some of the problems these types of TV's have:Buzzing, Screen Rentention etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I have a PJ and a 42" plasma (AE500 and an LG). I bought the plasma because I thought I wouldn't watch TV on my PJ.

As it stands the PJ has about 1800 hours, the plasma about 100. Sky looks better on the PJ, and as I only watch in the evening (cept for the occasional weekend daytime footie) and I sorted proper curtains with blackout material, the darkness factor is not a problem for the way we watch TV.

The PJ was a major investment in time to do right, as I have pretty much a custom room with L-shaped couches and 'cinema' lighting. Nothing looks worse than a PJ slapped into a normal livingroom IMHO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭prospect

Excellent advice so far.

Another question.

Lets saaaayyy, I go for a plasma. I already have an good stereo amp & speakers, (well I think they are good). So can I choose to have the TV without speakers, and go for a higher spec instead, e.g HD Ready.

Advertisement