Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards slowdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

i think boards servers are just not good enough for the ammount of members there are here.

i tried opening the attachment in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054896892

and it took a good 30 seconds just to load half the pic then i closed it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It's really gone to fcuk the last couple of days :(

Seven Worlds will Collide

its pretty quick now, i know another board running the exact same software and it runs about 10x quicker than here. Hope this can get sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yeah i'm finding it a bit slower lately though not by a huge means...

Seems to take it's time loading when i first log onto Boards

i used adblock on firefox to get rid of start-adserver because i got sick of spending an hour a day looking at firefox saying "waiting for star-adserver".

didn't actually solve the problem though. it still goes slow randomly, then suddenly comes back as if its been pushed through. got that database error just now

Same here.
    It was sluggish all evening and at times taking 40 seconds or more to load a page.
    More or less normal speed now.

Wish it would stay like it is now,it drives ya mad when its slow its like having 56k all over again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Well if any of ye fancy donating a few 2850's I'll forward ye on the shipping address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭irishboy21

Asok wrote:
    Well if any of ye fancy donating a few 2850's I'll forward ye on the shipping address.

Why doesn't the Admins prune users via the ACP ? Looking at the Members List there are 500+ PAGES of members with no posts and it's 30 members per page 30 x 500 = 15000 :eek:.

Boards needs a clean up. May start with "Has not logged on for x days".

x could be 365.

My 2 cents, keep the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

irishboy21 wrote:
    Why doesn't the Admins prune users via the ACP ? Looking at the Members List there are 500+ PAGES of members with no posts and it's 30 members per page 30 x 500 = 15000 :eek:.

Boards needs a clean up. May start with "Has not logged on for x days".

x could be 365.

My 2 cents, keep the change.

Wouldn't really make a huge difference, to be honest.

Asok wrote:

I would buy a sub if i knew it would make a difference :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

When it starts slowing down go check how many users are browsing ;), iv been checking this all week and every time iv found 1000+ users, i think this may be the cause, just to many people. Boards is a victim of it own popularity :).

• Advertisement

I would buy a sub if i knew it would make a difference :)

One way to find out!

Btw Kileoin banned from feedback,

Just because you delete a post doesnt mean I can't see it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Does he not know about the email notification to subscribed threads? :D
    Ah well, live and learn...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've never had much boards problems on Eircom broadband, but now on Smart BB, and timeouts are quite common. It's strange that it doesn't seemingly affect everyone simultaneously.

More often than not, it's replying I've issues with, with Opera reporting a newreply.php error. Other times, I can get the thread pages, but clicking a thread can lead to a blank page with "Done" at the bottom, or a server error screen.

Oddly, after 11pm or so, it seems to be grand, I suppose it's the number of users logged in.

Would the likes of disabling avatars or something lessen the load?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Might be time to look at overall growth and load. Shame, was hoping we'd be OK for a while longer, but its still growing.

I'll have a good poke at it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i find that i keep timing out at 3am, whenever i'm still up at that hour, or the page will take about 5 minutes to load.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

thats the 3am backup

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Regi wrote:
    Might be time to look at overall growth and load. Shame, was hoping we'd be OK for a while longer, but its still growing.

I'll have a good poke at it this weekend.

We need servers the size of googles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Sparky-s wrote:
    We need servers the size of googles :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_platform

* 719 racks
    * 63,272 machines
    * 126,544 CPUs
    * 253 THz of processing power
    * 126,544 GB (approx. 123.58 TB) of RAM
    * 5,062 TB (approx. 4.77 PB) of hard drive space
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

tish i have a better set-up as a back up machine at home, i swear

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭irishboy21

thats the 3am backup
    How is that run, ie how is it set to 3am all the time? I have a vB forum and would like to have this feature. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

irishboy21 wrote:
    How is that run, ie how is it set to 3am all the time? I have a vB forum and would like to have this feature. ;)

I'd guess a cron job which takes apache down and does the backup, though you could do it by changing a symlink pointing to the website to a page saying "Please hold..." either, if you liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

FYI - I was timing out trying to connect to www.boards.ie, muppet.boards.ie and pie.boards.ie. wang.boards.ie was working fine.

Firefox gives me this error for the other addresses:
    The connection was reset
    The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

Now they're all back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Overall its slow for me aswell. Probably for the last 2-3 weeks. Seems random though. One post fine. The next slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

can be really bad. took over a minute to load the Satellite board tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Response time at the moment is like wading through treacle wearing flippers. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Just got this error:

vBulletin datastore error caused by one or more of the following:
    1. You may have uploaded vBulletin 3.5 files without also running the vBulletin 3.5 upgrade script. If you have not run the upgrade script, do so now.
    2. The datastore cache may have been corrupted. Run Rebuild Bitfields from tools.php, which you can upload from the do_not_upload folder of the vBulletin package.

Fatal error: vBulletin datastore cache incomplete or corrupt in /includes/init.php on line 185

Not your ornery onager

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Regi has been sick for the last few days (Ohhhh NOES!). He's going to look into this this weekend he says.

We may just need another server but I don't want to blow the cash if we dont and its NOT going to fix the problem. Its not like we have wads of cash to throw at servers for no reason...

DeV.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

time for another boards fund raiser!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you really want money accept subscriptions by a method other than Paypal.
    I would subscribe this minute but I refuse to get involved with Paypal.
    Seriously. Boards is great value for money.

/Edit How hard is it to take Visa?

Advertisement