Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards slowdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Hagar wrote:
    If you really want money accept subscriptions by a method other than Paypal.
    I would subscribe this minute but I refuse to get involved with Paypal.
    Seriously. Boards is great value for money.

/Edit How hard is it to take Visa?

but visa charge the receiver as much if not more than paypal.

transfer your money to me and i'll subscribe you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Thanks for that Ruggie. You're a decent man. I await your PM.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

At about Mid-Day on Friday last the site was painfully slow within the college. :/ Found the same then when I went home.

A little while ago it was taking ages to show threads I wanted to view etc. Now its back to normal again.

:S

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Slowing to a crawl atm

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

hard for me to tell at the moment, I'm on RippedoffWave and its worse then dial up for everyone but we are talking about buying a third webserver. First I want to be sure that that IS the problem before we blow every penny we have again :(

I might run a poll and see how many people are finding it slow and how when...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

seems to be behaving at the moment

tracert

1 10 ms 2 ms 2 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 26 ms 25 ms 26 ms bas503.cwt.esat.net [193.95.136.239]
    3 26 ms 25 ms 38 ms vlan501.rt502.cwt.esat.net [193.95.137.125]
    4 26 ms 25 ms 25 ms vlan54.rt002.cwt.esat-x.com [193.95.130.161]
    5 27 ms 25 ms 25 ms ge0-0.core002.cwt.esat.net [193.95.129.18]
    6 27 ms 25 ms 26 ms pos2-0.br001.inex.esat.net [193.95.131.6]
    7 27 ms 26 ms 27 ms panama-inex.hosting365.ie [193.242.111.87]
    8 31 ms 29 ms 30 ms corerouter1.hosting365.ie [82.195.128.7]
    9 28 ms 32 ms 33 ms boards.ie [82.195.136.250]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

DeVore wrote:
    hard for me to tell at the moment, I'm on RippedoffWave and its worse then dial up for everyone but we are talking about buying a third webserver. First I want to be sure that that IS the problem before we blow every penny we have again :(

DeV.

some times its slow some times its not, like right now pages are loading straight away but in a few minutes it might get slow again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

DeVore wrote:

DeV.

Tom. Are you serious? You are telling me that you went for that 'ripwave' service. I know you own Boards, but did you miss those thousands of posts about how bad of a service 'ripwave' is? I was in your situation 15 months ago and know how you feel, that's why I would be willing to give you a hand in getting a real broadband service, as well as aiding in getting a new server.
    ;)

I don't know if this is relevent but have a look at the automated email system. I used to get one email to announce a new post on a subscribed thread and wouldn't get one again until i re-visted the thread. Now I get an email for every post in every thread to which I am subscribed regardless of whether or not I have returned to the thread. If this is happening to everyone it must be a tremendous system overhead.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sparky-s wrote:
    Tom. Are you serious? You are telling me that you went for that 'ripwave' service. I know you own Boards, but did you miss those thousands of posts about how bad of a service 'ripwave' is? I was in your situation 15 months ago and know how you feel, that's why I would be willing to give you a hand in getting a real broadband service, as well as aiding in getting a new server.
    ;)
    No sh*t.... yeah we hadnt gotten any choice at the time. We needed a fast resolution so we took RippedOffWave but we're IMMEDIATELY replacing it with DSL now that Eircom have given us our line.

I HATE paying Eircom a line rental but if Magnet come through with their 8-10mb line, I'll be all happy again.

Noone else is doing BB in my new area. :(

This doesnt sound like server load to me. Hagar, I'll point regi to this thread, he's just back from being out with flu and is trying to find a few spare hours to get a good look at some stats.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Grand. It's good to hear you will get sorted. I broke my modem in anger at the service, then they wanted it back. My only saviour was 'superglue'.
    Needless to say, I also had problems with their billing department, but thats another thread. :D

Hagar wrote:
    I would subscribe this minute but I refuse to get involved with Paypal.
    Seriously. Boards is great value for money.
    Ruggiebear wrote:
    transfer your money to me and i'll subscribe you

Let it be publicly acknowledged that RuggieBear is a man as good as his word.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Boards seems very very slow today tbh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I had a few timeout a few hours back. Seems ok now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

lately theres been times when the speed has been off but today its been really bad all day.

its taking over a minute to load pages...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

The only thing I can add to this, is that the "page generated in" time, has little or no bearing on real time experience most of the time. I don't know what this means from a technical perspective, but someone will. I have no doubt that the servers have a high workload at times, but the slowdown does not always seem to reflect this FWIW. (I can, more often than not, experience faster "speeds" during the 2pm office rush on weekdays than I do at 2am-not 3am, during the reboot, in case anyone assumes that!)

What I've noticed lately, in the last few days, is that the page does not completely load in one fell swoop as it used to. While I was typing the third line of this post, the emoticons were still appearing one by one to the right of the message field, which is unusual.

My connection speed, is of course not an issue. I know you guys are doing all you can from your end...

This page (which took over a minute to load completely):

*Page generated in 0.36558 seconds with 14 queries*

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lads,

Any joy in nailing the occasional severe lag?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Given that vB has a limited number of connections it can work with at one time some server admins like to up this number to accommodate a growing boards, more than 150 network connections at once can sometimes trigger the DDOS service to firewall the IP's for 600 seconds or so as it suspects an attack.

Not saying that is whats happing here but I know one or two vB sites it did happen to when the limit of connections were increased.

Darn 3.5 update is showing many connection errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

As I said in the other thread, we're going to try some more stuff this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Painfully slow at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Painfully slow at the mo

yes big time,its taken me about 5 mins to post this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

county wrote:
    Painfully slow at the mo
    yes big time,its taken me about 5 mins to post this

qft.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Rotten for me too.

Folks: No good moaning here.

Post your stats in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51227942

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 65,423 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Last 30 minutes very slow, 5mins + for any page to load, although no timeouts this time around

All seems fine again now...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

i'd lots of timeouts there in the past half hour or so, gone normal in the past 10mins though..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

stop, posting in TCN and it took 15 mins only for what i posted to come up 4 or 5 times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Thats a bit mad, I was on www, was taking about 2 mins to load, then put me on pie??

Hey guys,

Any idea when the speed problem will finally be resolved? I may be imagining things, but it seems that Boards usage has fallen off severely since these problems first arose. We seem to be losing a lot of active members.

Just a couple of minutes ago: Cloud, no sigs.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054926882
    statler: Page generated in 66.58877 seconds with 19 queries

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054926118
    statler: Page generated in 48.56664 seconds with 28 queries

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I find it slow more often that it is quick. I get time outs two or three times a day. I use Safari with popup blocker enabled. It's same both at home and in work. Every other site seems to be OK. I was beginning to think it was an issue with Safari until I stumbled across this thread.

Advertisement