Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mocks!!!

• 27-01-2006 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My mocks are starting this monday (AAHHH!!!!!!), english up first. has anyone been given any tips on whats coming up?? in any of the subjects?!!

thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

If you do Biology, my teacher (Chief Examiner) hinted at Evolution, Nutrition, Genetics (well, up every year anyway) and Photosynthesis. Could be the people who do the mocks put up some of those topics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

there are 2 mock papers in each subject though so it really depends which one you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

each publisher prints different mock papers, so they're all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Ours start on monday too,I feel your pain! We have a sub English teacher cos our other one is like crazy (she goes in and out of phases now and then) and shes been goin through comparitive studies with us.today she just gave up and told us to study hopkins,bishop for poetry."a man more sinned against than sinning" for Lear and cultural context+loneliness and isolation for the cs.Whether or not thats any good to ya,i dont know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Don't do mocks in our school

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

^really??

i dont have my timetable yet, 3 weeks to go though for me.
    its finally startin to hit me that i have 18 months of work to revise... =/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Mine are in two weeks!So scared!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Mocks = pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Toasty

are all mock papers the same all round the country?

yeh our school says their needless pressure and a waste of time. I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

No, they're a practice for the real examand an indication of what way you should go, points and level-wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Little Miss...

sure there's a few mock papers for each exam subject so what comes up on mine isnt necessarily gonna come up in yours...we're all f*cked! ah well :)

Le Rack wrote:
    No, they're a practice for the real examand an indication of what way you should go, points and level-wise.

Practice? I thought that's what the Junior Cert was for? Every exam you do is practice, everytime you sit at your desk and time yourself answering a question you're doing as much, if not more, practice than a few weeks of pure stress.

You also miss a good few weeks of classes, with the actual exams and the revision classes you're given. That's much more counterproductive.

Not having mocks means you don't have a big ball of drama and stress a few weeks after Christmas, no distractions. You can continue right on with your courses whilst everyone else is 'revising' courses they mightn't even have properly finished yet.

That's my belief anyway. I didn't do mocks for the Junior Cert either and did just fine. Our school is in the top level in the country too for Leaving Cert results too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Le Rack wrote:

They are no indication at all of which way you should go. I failed both Physics and Chemistry in mine, and ended up getting an a2 and b2 respectively.

At this stage in the year, you are only really settling down to *proper* study (at least i was) and IMO, it's a lot better to spend your time studying slowly towards the actual exams, than wasting time now trying to to study everything for a test that means nothing.
    If i was doing 6th year again, i wouldnt bother with them.

Also, you should aim for as many points possible, not just for your course requirment (unless of course its medicine).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭tinka

TimAy wrote:
    They are no indication at all of which way you should go. I failed both Physics and Chemistry in mine, and ended up getting an a2 and b2 respectively.

At this stage in the year, you are only really settling down to *proper* study (at least i was) and IMO, it's a lot better to spend your time studying slowly towards the actual exams, than wasting time now trying to to study everything for a test that means nothing.

Also, you should aim for as many points possible, not just for your course requirment (unless of course its medicine).

an A2 in physics?? :eek: i can always dream... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

TimAy wrote:

Yeah, I agree with you. I've heard countless stories of people getting >200 then getting 400+ in the actual leaving. Still, you want to do your best, even if it's just to avoid teachers ranting like mentalists about "The Standard Is Slipping (tm)", and "This Class Are A Bunch Of Dossers (tm)".

In the History one you can bet on a question on Hitler and the Nazi's rise to power, and Sinn Fein after the 1916 rising. There fairly sure for us anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I am f*cked for the pres!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

my mocks start on tuesday :p

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I'm not looking forward to them, start the 20th of feb plus my birthday is during them :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Plus they're marked harder than the actual exams.

Scare tactics tbh.

That being said I have mine next thursday and I'll get such a paddlin' if I do really badly, and I don't see myself revising the entire maths course in a few days.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

There are a few weird things coming up in our business exam that aren't on the actual leaving curiculum:

Delayering: simplifying management structures by eliminating lines of management - so there is a greater span of control, less wage costs and more direct communications.

<Just in case>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

ive got irish paper 2 and maths tomoro- i stupidly left it until tonight to learn the entire course (irish mainly) ... havent a clue whats coming up either. im hoping to get by on the 'its marked harder' and 'we havent even finished the course so how can we answer lc papers' excuses, kinda true but still!

Advertisement