Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just Breaking on Sky Sports

• 27-01-2006 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

:eek: Robbie has rejoined Liverpool, more to come:D :D:D Welcome home GOD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just saw it, funny how this one has gathered steam, I usually ignore mad rumours and yet this one had the feel of truth from the start for me!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

this will warm many a liverpuddlian followers heart. There's something intrinsically right about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

dudara wrote:
    this will warm many a liverpuddlian followers heart. There's something intrinsically right about this
    :D I'm starting to feel warm
    He could be crap on a return but so's everyone else at the minute. Would be great to see him back, probably a sub but still... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I was skeptical, but who cares...welcome home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

great news, sub or not, his arrival will only hasten cisse's leaving.

he can play in the champions league so cisses services arent exactly required anymore

• Advertisement

Cisse out to Marseille on loan anyone?

Mike.

cisse to cork city for all i care tbh. as long as he's gone

mike65 wrote:
    Cisse out to Marseille on loan anyone?

Mike.
    Sounds good, we get rid, he gets games and vicariously a starting place for France, then we sell :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

el rabitos wrote:
    cisse to cork city for all i care tbh. as long as he's gone

The way Liverpool rumours are turning into fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I logged in later to read: "CISSE IN CORK CITY TRANSFER SHOCKER" ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

http://www.thisisanfield.com/?newsid=00000249

Parry says NO!

I hope he does Robbie was born a Red and should finish a Red

• Advertisement

And he wouldn't be cup tied for the CL :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

:eek:

the other day i was gonna post in the liverpool thread that i could never see this happening

and here we are.

welcome back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

WHAT THE HELL??? One of the strangest transfers I;ve ever seen.. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

NoelRock wrote:
    The way Liverpool rumours are turning into fact, I wouldn't be surprised if I logged in later to read: "CISSE IN CORK CITY TRANSFER SHOCKER" ;).

he wouldnt get a game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I can't stand Fowler. Granted, I'm a United fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

cant believe that, good signing i suppose, he'll defo get a few goals

egan007 wrote:
    http://www.thisisanfield.com/?newsid=00000249

Parry says NO!

I hope he does Robbie was born a Red and should finish a Red
    That's yesterdays statement though - that hardly counts :)

p.pete wrote:
    That's yesterdays statement though - that hardly counts :)

I hope it's done and dusted

The second coming of GOD!

egan007 wrote:
    I hope it's done and dusted

The second coming of GOD!

he's a fat spice boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

It's a very strange signing. I can understand Liverpool fans welcoming back a legend but I see it as a step backwards. It would be like Utd welcoming back Andrew Cole(who's keeping Fowler out of the City team). That would mystify me more than anything else and wouldn't excite me in the least.
    Then again Utds current forward line are functioning well and this is the one part of Liverpools squad that needs urgent addressing and it's only a loan so they've nothing to lose. Probably just a stop gap until they can sign a world class striker in the summer.

Absolutely brilliant or mad, I can't decide...

Always liked Fowler though...wonder is he 'up to it'/'up for it' though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Mersey move? Robbie Fowler - our favourite son

By Darren Phillips
    Date: 26/1/2006
    http://liverpool.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=890&p=2&stid=8401942

It's clearly been too quiet on the transfer front at Anfield for some, requiring the prompting the early morning speculation that Robbie Fowler was on his way back to the club.

At roughly the same time last year a similar deal was mooted and had more than a grain of truth at its heart. The idea was floated at the club and discrete enquiries made about the possibility.
    The renewed link has prompted Rick Parry to scotch any whispers with an outright denial which was not deemed necessary last year.

Putting a few circumstances together there seems to be quite a bit of sense in the deal going ahead. Last Sunday highlighted that a goal poacher was sorely missed as neither Crouch nor Cisse fit that bill. A player who has thrived off the type of chances a tall target man creates for most his career would seem to make perfect sense.

Djibril Cisse is widely held to be on his way out either or loan or through a permanent deal at some stage though whether it can be arranged in just under a week remains to be seen. Recent weeks have seen the striker hit his best form virtually since leaving The Reds five years ago.

He has made no secret of the fact that he wished to make a return to Anfield upon leaving Leeds. His every visit in the colours of other clubs has been greeted with warmth by the fans who hold a special place in their hearts for a favourite son of the city.

More cynical types may point to the fact that Robbie has a deal at City now being counted down in months rather than years until it ends and that even moderate interest from another club may help a favourable renewal or a swoop by another Premiership club.

I may well be proved wrong by the end of the week and probably would be glad to be so. It's fair to say Robbie isn't the force he was when he came through the ranks at Anfield but there again he doesn't get the same quality of service and a short term deal may work

However, there just isn't enough in this rumour for it to be considered barely let alone wholly credible. It literally seems to be nothing more than smoke generated after a well known player was overheard discussing the prospect in an unnamed pub in Formby. It then spread like wild fire through the internet and then word of mouth.

A respected radio broadcaster repeated the rumour which had been doing the rounds extremely early this morning with their tongue firmly in cheek but far from writing the prospect off and talk grew to a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

this is great news, one of my alltime liverpol favourates.

welcome home GOD.

he's a fat spice boy!

Your petty slags cannot harm GOD!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

From ESPN Sports ......

Man City striker Fowler rejoins Liverpool

Out of favour Manchester City striker Robbie Fowler has rejoined Liverpool on loan until the end of the season, according to reports.

The striker was spotted at the Liverpool training ground taking a medical on Friday, before completing the shock return to his old club.

When asked about a possible swoop for the 30-year-old Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez said: 'I cannot say it will never happen. I cannot say no, I cannot say yes.'

It is believed the Reds have an option to sign the player at the end of the loan deal.

Fowler hit 171 goals in nine years at Anfield, before erratic spells with Leeds and City.

Nunu wrote:
    It's a very strange signing. I can understand Liverpool fans welcoming back a legend but I see it as a step backwards. It would be like Utd welcoming back Andrew Cole(who's keeping Fowler out of the City team). That would mystify me more than anything else and wouldn't excite me in the least.
    Cole didn't come out of United's (manchester) youth system, Man City aren't cross town rivals to Liverpool. Can't see your connection.

I don't see Fowler as much of a step forward but it'll be great for moral and given how long the transfer window will be open for I see it as excellent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Check out the LFC homepage......a celebration of all things Fowler..... Welcome back God *wipes tear from eye*

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

NoelRock wrote:

No, as Gimmick has been at pains to point out Cork are only signing players who would improve their squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Im tired.. and emotional..

Time for a celebratory cream egg and sitting on the couch all evening in the liverpool jersey.

egan007 wrote:
    Your petty slags cannot harm GOD!
    could it be magic no, no........
    only joking fowler is a decent player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I just dont get it :(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

p.pete wrote:
    Cole didn't come out of United's (manchester) youth system, Man City aren't cross town rivals to Liverpool. Can't see your connection.

I don't see Fowler as much of a step forward but it'll be great for moral and given how long the transfer window will be open for I see it as excellent :)

The comparison comes from the fact that they were both goalscoring legends for Utd and Liverpool that are both well past their peak. I thought that connection would be obvious enough without having to point it out. There are a 1001 trivial facts that don't connect them of which you have picked two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

This is giving me a warm, happy glow inside :)

Can't wait to see Crouchinator + Robbie link up.

Is this a season loan signing or a free transfer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Just wondering how fit he is. Granted he played in a couple of City's last few games and managed to score a few goals. But he has been dogged with a few injuries over the last few years which has hit his form.

Mind you this could be a stroke of genius by Liverpool to bring back a player that is still described as a legend. He might help to contribute to the appalling lack of goals from our current batch of strikers. Couldn't be any worse.

It's got to be good from a business point of view at least with the sales of shirts set to rocket. I bet the Liverpool shop will see a sharp rise in sales for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SofaKing wrote:
    Can't wait to see Crouchinator + Robbie link up.

Yep it'll be like little and large.

I am, of course, refering to their goal tallies for liverpool.

Whatsmore this sounds like it could be the prelude to a full transfer on a free in the summer.

Its really not mad and is for Rafa/Parry a no loose situation.

He will pick up a match fee when he plays as far a I can tell, he will get goals proberly playing off Crouch or as sub. The lift this will give fans means Benitez has proberly achieved deity status too. He is'nt CL tied and would be exellent in those 'tricky' games playing with Luis Garcia just behind him.

And sales of Fowlers replica shirt will mean Liverpool have 100 million to spend in the summer! ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Fowler

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mike65 wrote:
    And sales of Fowlers replica shirt will mean Liverpool have 100 million to spend in the summer! ;)

Mike.

am thinking of getting one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Pigman II wrote:
    No, as Gimmick has been at pains to point out Cork are only signing players who would improve their squad.

yup, if city wanted to sign a fat lazy useless bastid they'd sign me... or Robbie Fowler for that matter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Fowler and big pete up front for england at the world cup ???? Stranger things have happened!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Long Sleeve Away Shirt 05/06 (Large)
    Product Code: ASH11
    Quantity: 1
    Personalised: 9, Fowler Badge

Just purchased from the Offal store

BrookieD wrote:
    Long Sleeve Away Shirt 05/06 (Large)
    Product Code: ASH11
    Quantity: 1
    Personalised: 9, Folwer Badge

Just purchased from the Offal store

Please tell me you didn't get Folwer on a shirt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Absolutely delighted, great deal. If he bangs them in between now and the end of the season he gets signed on a permanent deal, if he doesn't score he doesn't sign:) Winning situation for the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I just heard the news on the Last Word. What a signing. welcome back.. wonder what he will do if he scores against everton on march 25

now all we need to do is sign up steve mcmanaman and coax jamie redknapp out of retirement and the days of being perenial runners up are back again! huzzah! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,052 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Savage!! Welcome home GOD!! Oh and he'll be nicely reintigrated in time to play arsenal one of his all time fabourite teams to score against. Really its genius out of Rafa, it means the fans will love him for making a dream come true, and as everyone else has pointed out, the worst he can do is not score which is the same as everyone else bar the odd petey crouch spell. Absolutely over the moon - have the same warm happy feeling i get everytime i think about 25-05-05!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I can understand Fowlers god like appreciation from pool fans. In his day Fowler was one of , if not the best striker in the premiership but his day has passed IMO. As has already been said It's akin to United resigning Andy cole , I dont believe I would see that as forward looking.

That said Fowler is Liverpool through and through so he must be chuffed and the fans idolise him so his return may give the whole club a lift in the run in to all competitions .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

It makes perfect sense, Fowler is still only 30, its a loan deal, he will be back at the club he loves and isn't cup tied. Its a win win situation, a good boost for the rest of the season. Is he the player he was? No, but perhaps thats just lack of application on his part, this might restart his career.

I can understand Fowlers god like appreciation from pool fans. In his day Fowler was one of , if not the best striker in the premiership but his day has passed IMO. As has already been said It's akin to United resigning Andy cole , I dont believe I would see that as forward looking.

andy cole is what 33 or 34 or something? fowler is 30. he's not that old and still has something to offer. his ability to read the game is second to none and i'd consider his plus side to be comparable to sami hyypia.

as in, not in his prime, but see's whats going on 2 steps before most other players and can be the difference in losing a match or drawing

rafa speaks
    My idea is for Liverpool to take one step forward and I think Robbie can help us make that step.

"We have signed a player with so much passion for this football club and I think he will act as an example to every player here in how much he loves Liverpool.

"It is a boost for the team, a boost for the supporters and a boost for Robbie himself. I'm not sure I've ever seen a player quite so happy to be joining a club before.

"I think it's a signing that will lift everyone who loves Liverpool Football Club because Robbie is a great finisher who can help us reach a new level.

"He hasn't been signed because he loves the club; he's been signed because he's one of the best goalscorers ever to play in the Premiership and he can score goals for us right now. He's got a wealth of experience and he gives us more attacking options. He's a different kind of striker to what we have at the club and that is good for the team.

"People can talk about having a lot of money to buy players but we've just signed a player with a passion and a heart for this club that no amount of money can buy. We are close to a very high level right now but with Robbie we can go even higher."

Mike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement