Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion Collector's Edition

Options
  • 27-01-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Some details about the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Collector's Edition, just to tease people even more about the game. :mad:

Looks pretty sweet what with the guide and coin and all. You'd be the koolest kat in the playground sporting an authentic Tamriel coin for sure. Deadly. Beats a tin box and t-shirt anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

COOL!

but how much I ponder?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have to stop reading about this game...its just torture...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Yeahhh...kinda wish I didn't read about the game because now I hear they're cutting back alot of the graphical features. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Some details about the Elder Scrolls Oblivion Collector's Edition, just to tease people even more about the game. :mad:

Looks pretty sweet what with the guide and coin and all. You'd be the koolest kat in the playground sporting an authentic Tamriel coin for sure. Deadly. Beats a tin box and t-shirt anyway.

oh god oh god oh god oh god!

Dunno if you's have seen it but a German magazine was published with a DVD showing some new video, there's a rip of it here. Tis only bleedin rappid!

Was reading on some forum that apparently in the magazine they mentioned the specs of the PC they used to run it for the video, which was an Athlon 64 FX-55 with 2.61 GHz, 1 GB RAM and a Geforce 7800 GT. The speed of the game on this pc was perfect on medium details, perfect on full details with medium draw distance, and perfect on full details (except in forests). So I guess there's a benchmark if you're wondering if your PC is up to the task.

From some forum, the rough translation for the funny German voiceover in the video is:

"Everything visible is reachable, portals allow you to go fast somewhere you already were before. There are many npcs, talking to each other. Over 50 hours of dialogue, much of it secondary quests. Listening to dialogue can give you informations that get an entry in your journal. NPcs act life like. Sleep at night, work at day, go to bars. Bars are crowded at night. Real time fights are very important and very intense, hardly rivaled by any game before (because of the physics engine he says). Fights are not overly complex, but fun. There's a regular, fast strike and a stronger one that starts with keeping the mouse button pressed, which is slower. Timing is important, attack the enemy when he's vulnerable and defend when he's attacking. Thieves however should stay in the dark, magicians use classic stuff like fireballs. But there are no classes, everyone can choose to play the game as he wants".

Dunno if anybody visits the official forums but this video started about 583 threads about Bethesda cutting back the graphics, getting rid of certain shaders and shadow effects. People were saying that the XBox 360 can't handle the shadows, but that they didn't want the PC to outshine the XBox version, so they were cutting back graphics on both systems, even though the PC would potentially be able to cope with the effects in the future. I dunno what to think, it could be a load of ****, the video is on medium detail anyway, so obviously it doesn't look as good as previous videos. But a dev did say that there'll be no object shadows like there were in the E3 video. Ah well!

• Advertisement

Meh. I couldn't care less about a few graphical features or lack thereof. Although my PC could handle anything they throw at it, I'll still probably keep the settings relatively low, as I'll almost always favor FPS over ultrahyper adaptive shading...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Gawd damn i can see my x800 laughing in my face when i try this game at medium. Bah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I cant seem to access the site, does it mention the System requirements for it? Can anyone tell me what they are?

From what i heard from above my PC should handle it:
    Pentium 4 3.4ghz 2mb cache,
    256mb geforce 6200 video card
    1 gig RAM

but still think it might have to run on medium settings

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I cant seem to access the site, does it mention the System requirements for it? Can anyone tell me what they are?

From what i heard from above my PC should handle it:
    Pentium 4 3.4ghz 2mb cache,
    256mb geforce 6200 video card
    1 gig RAM

but still think it might have to run on medium settings

There is a big difference between a 256MB 6200 and 7800GT, along the lines of a Kite vs a 747.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Matt Simis wrote:
    There is a big difference between a 256MB 6200 and 7800GT, along the lines of a Kite vs a 747.

Matt

haha thought so, is 7800GT the best you can get at the mo? how much is it around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

"Athlon 64 FX-55, 1 GB RAM and a Geforce 7800 GT"
    could only run it on medium! :| what exactly do they expect people to be running this game on? FX57 4gig X1900XTX ? i would have thought my 3400+ 1gig 6800gt should have been able to handle this game grand, i remember checked fourms before and most people planned on playing it with 9800/x800's etc ofcourse this was close to a year ago :p
    ive suddenly lost faith on getting the PC version now may have to get the 360 version instead...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I'm confident I'll get it running nicely.

Fear was all on high apart from soft shadows and trucked along at 80fps. Here's hoping. Can't wait for this game. Have it preordered on play - they don't have the special edition available for preorder yet though - i might change my order.

The quote above said it was perfect at medium, full with med draw, and full except in forests.

So any decent spec should have a good lash at this.

3.2 intel.
    1gig ram (im soo upgrading to 2 before oblivion :D)
    ATI X850XT (drool)

God bless my father's budget...

Even still I think I'll keep the settings pretty low. I suppose Ill just fiddle around and see what works best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Zillah wrote:
    God bless my father's budget...

LOL :D

When Quake 2 game out I convinced my dad he needed a 3D graphics card for "the internet" :p

I know it's only a small thing about the shadows but it's kinda disappointing! I'm sure everybody saw the video of the dev doing a walkthrough, at the start in the prison where he shakes the shackles hanging from the ceiling, and you see the shadow of the shackles moving on the wall...and then he picks up a ribcage and you can see the individual rib bones cast shadows on the wall...that's all gone! Dynamic lighting and object shadow is gone.

Not that I should care less, I doubt I have a hope of even playing it on medium settings! But the point is that when I first got Morrowind I couldn't play it on max settings either...very few people could. But they still left all the options available because they knew in the future people would have systems capable of running it at a decent framerate. They should have dynamic and object shadows as optional!

But anyway, rant over. :D Can't wait.

Whatever some German magazine says, I'd be very suprised if the option wasn't there. They'd actually have to do a relatively big overhaul to remove the options. Most likely what they'll do is shut them off.

Which means within the first few weeks someone will release an "unlock dynamic light and shadows" patch.

Bam!

System Specs
    Recommended:

* 3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
        * 1 GB System RAM
        * ATI X800 series, NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

Minimum System Requirements:

* Windows XP
        * 512MB System RAM
        * 2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
        * 128MB Direct3D compatible video card
        * and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
        * 8x DVD-ROM drive
        * 4.6 GB free hard disk space
        * DirectX 9.0c (included)
        * DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
        * Keyboard, Mouse

Supported Video Card Chipsets:

* ATI X1900 series
        * ATI X1800 series
        * ATI X1600 series
        * ATI X1300 series
        * ATI X850 series
        * ATI x800 series
        * ATI x700 series
        * ATI x600 series
        * ATI Radeon 9800 series
        * ATI Radeon 9700 series
        * ATI Radeon 9600 series
        * ATI Radeon 9500 series
        * NVIDIA GeForce 7800 series
        * NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
        * NVIDIA GeForce 6600 series
        * NVIDIA GeForce 6200 series
        * NVIDIA GeForce FX series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

have recommened, now all they have to do is finaly release this game :D

Hmm, that's encouraging, seals the deal about getting the PC version for me anyway.

But I'm still gonna wait a few days after release before buying to see how it runs for people on a similar spec PC to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Must buy. MUST. This game is the reason I spent so much on a new PC in June.

• Advertisement

/me counts money and cries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

w00t, I just upgraded and this game is part of the reason why. 7800GTX, AMD64 4400+ X2 and 2gigs of Corsair XMS for the win. ;)

Just gotta pre-order now!

Advertisement