Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northbridge Cooling

Options
  • 27-01-2006 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭

Mainboard is a MSI K8N Diamond. Over Xmas I replaced the loud northbridge cooler with an Akasa one. This attatched via a sticky thermal pad thingy, not using the mounting holes on the mobo. Seemed fine untill now and I was very pleased but it's just after falling off :( Is there any other heatsink and fan availible to cool the northbridge without being as loud as the stock cooler? At the moment the Akasa cooler is just kinda leaning against the chipset so I want to get this sorted asap.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

are there mounting holes beside the northbridge?

If so, the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler is good

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_Zalman.html

its half way down the page, its passive and is good once you have good airflow in your case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

www.hitide.ie will most likely have what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭dent

Simona1986 wrote:
    This attatched via a sticky thermal pad thingy, not using the mounting holes on the mobo. Seemed fine untill now and I was very pleased but it's just after falling off :(

You could always try some thermal adhesive if you are happy with the cooler. You will never be able to take it off though.

I had to replace the noisy fan on my abit IC7 board and just used the stuff to stick on a passive heat sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where do you get this stuff? I think the sticky pad on the underneath of the cooler is fairly stuck to the cooler itself. I managed to dig out an askasa email add. so I've got a RMA now but it looks like I'm going to have to go back to the stock fan which means removing my whole MB again :mad: How safe would it be to leave the NB without a heatsink or anything?

Hitide have some http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/16/products_id/134

I have heard of people running systems fine with no northbridge cooler but id do some searchs based on your motherboard.

The stuff sticking to the northbridge might just be thermal paste. I use this stuff

http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/16/products_id/338

when cleaning my chips. I think you can also use nail polish remover but don't quote me on that :D

I find it hard to believe that the cooler would actually use an adhesive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Nah - it's a thermal pad that came with the cooler. I swapped it out only a few days ago so i'm sure. It was just like a double sided piece of sticky tape. Is all artic silver an adhesive? I have a tube of it but thought it was just for heat conduction, wasnt aware it was an ashesive. The cooler in question has no other way of monuting bar it's thermal pad thing so I don't know if Artic silver would hold it in place from the word go.

Yeah its no wonder it fell off. Arctic silver generally refers to the thermal paste. This paste just help's the transfer of heat from the chip to the heatsink. It doesn't serve as a bonding agent.

The adhesive I linked to here http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/16/products_id/134

will actually permanantly bond the chip to the heatsink. You will never be able to remove it. It comes in 2 tubes and upon mixing it's activated.

Advertisement