Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery Help needed

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have two 12V batteries connected in series therefore giving a 24V output, but they need to be charged cos they are dead. (They are used in a boat)
    So i was just wondering that if I was to charge them would I need a 24V battery charger. If so do I attach the leads of the charger in the following way. Attach the positive lead to the positive terminal on battery 1 and then attach the negative lead to the negative terminal on battery 2. BTW battery 1 is connected to battery 2 by a lead going from the negative terminal on battery 1 to the positive terminal on battery 2.

Any help appreciated.

Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Disconnect the two and charge individually as 12v cells.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Right, just disconnect them and charge as single 12V in the usual manner.

However, before you do any charging, check the electrolyte level of both, top off as necessary, typical level is fill half the gap between the top of the plates and the bottom of the lid, or till the indicater indicates full, if you have such.

also, being in a boat, is confining, therefore charge gasses given off by the charging process may collect and they are explosive when mixed in large quantities and ignited with a spark.
    Therefore ventilate well, or rather, ventilate the boat well if the battries are enclosed in a confined place.

Once charged, just clean up the terminals and connect them as before.

Advertisement