Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

17 and trying to get insured

Options
  • 27-01-2006 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Im trying to get insured on my 92 golf van its 1.9 disel not a turbo or any thing i was just wondering were is the best place to ring
    Thanx lads!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

At your age, Quinn direct. The rest of them will probably just laugh at you.
    Your best bet is to have the van in a parents name and get insured as a named driver under their policy if at all possible.
    Unless, that is, you're female. You'd get better quotes all round then...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Stephen wrote:
    At your age, Quinn direct. The rest of them will probably just laugh at you.
    Your best bet is to have the van in a parents name and get insured as a named driver under their policy if at all possible.
    Unless, that is, you're female. You'd get better quotes all round then...

But If Jayrules insures the van and says that his Mum/Dad/Dog is the main driver on a proposal form, when he/she knows that is incorrect, it invalidates the cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Jayrules wrote:
    Im trying to get insured on my 92 golf van its 1.9 disel not a turbo or any thing i was just wondering were is the best place to ring
    Thanx lads!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep Quinn Direct, expect to pay thru the nose but it'll probably be cheaper than the rest (most won't quote ye) and don't expect anything more than Third Party Fire & Theft

You'll be grand once u don't hit anything in yer first year driving :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

micmclo wrote:
    How can you you be the main driver if you're still on a provisional. Apologies if you have a full licence but since most regions have over a 40 week waiting period, this is unlikely.

Obey the laws and then worry about getting insured.

:rolleyes: get back in your box :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Optimus

micmclo wrote:
    How can you you be the main driver if you're still on a provisional. Apologies if you have a full licence but since most regions have over a 40 week waiting period, this is unlikely.

Obey the laws and then worry about getting insured.
    Iv had my full license since i was 17 and 5 months. Got it in Naas febuary 2005.

You may not get insurance on that at all lad.The insurance in this country is a joke, they dont base it on how fast it can go or anything, but on engine size. If I wanted to buy a 2 litre piece of **** slow ass diesel mondeo, they would laugh because its 2 litres.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

Invest the money you would have spent on insurance on a villa in Bulgaria.
    You will probably pay the same amount over a five year period and at the end of that five year period you can sell the villa and buy a bmw 3 series brand new and afford to insure it and still have money to spend.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

even if you get put as a main driver or named its still the same price, ive found this with my van, €2900 with me as a main driver and the same as a named driver.
    So id rather be the main driver which i am.

02' 1.4 206 HDi btw ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I went with quinndirect for two years, no hassle, had a 1.9d (flat) megavan.
    One way around this if you want to hold as main policy holder and clock up no claim bonus is insure it privately, Quinndirect will do policies as such. I had no commercial use for a van so insured it as a car, had the normal social and domestic use and could also carry my own stuff but could not courier.-lower premium due to less seats.

4 things to note-
    1- IF YOU DO GO FOR A PRIVATE POLICY ON THIS YOU WILL BE OBLIGED TO PAY PRIVATE TAX ( 1.9D=€511)
    2-THE GOODS YOU CARRY IN THIS VAN WILL NOT BE COVERED UNDER THIS POLICY.
    3-IF YOU GET PULLED WITH ANYONE IN THE BACK OF THIS VEHICLE SAY GOODBYE TO YOUR CHANCES OF DRIVING AGAIN FOR A WHILE AND BE PREPARED FOR THE WORST IF YOU HAVE AN ACCIDENT IN THIS CASE.
    4- PUT H-RATED TYRES ON, STRONGER WALLED TYRES TO ACCOMODATE FOR WEIGHTS!

With my commercial van having both private tax and insurance it was not called for either a DOE or NCT, some sort of loophole in the system, the onus is on you to have her tested
    Hope this helps mate, Regards! Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If your desperate to get driving (I know the feeling!) then I reckon your only bet is to get insured as a named driver for a year and hope you pass your test by next renewal date.

You're gonna be paying crazy money as a main driver on a 1.9 (regardless of fuel type) at 17 on a provo. Just get insured for the year as a named driver, then next year you'll be 18 with a full license, and Quinn Direct will give you a small discount for "Named driver experience" (10% in my case - to my amazment, same as a years NCB!)

Just make sure to let your folks drive it every once and a while*

*This line is for all the eejits who will give out about my recommendation. Back in your box with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Good discount, didnt know that mfself,must say it to the brother

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

i was in more or less the same situation when i got my car at first, although i was just gone 18.

my mother is registered as the main driver and im down as first named driver, starting off the insurance was about 2000 for TPFT, now that I have a full licence our renewal policy cost around 1050 for Fully Comprehensive,and TPFT was coming in at just about 1000.
    (Was glad i went for Full when the rear window got smashed)

im with hibernian btw

to all those who say having a parent/sibling/whoever register the car is wrong, you try getting affordable insurance at a young age, unfortunately due to the number of gobsh*te drivers who are young and drive ****ty little 1L micras thinking they're driving a ferrari, we all get discriminated against.

(besides, "my mother drives the car more than i do")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

JohnClearys suggestion is the way to go. When I was 17 on my provisional I got insured as a named driver on a 1600 turbo diesel golf and it was very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Con9903 wrote:
    JohnClearys suggestion is the way to go. When I was 17 on my provisional I got insured as a named driver on a 1600 turbo diesel golf and it was very reasonable.

Just dont forget to get the main drivers NCB transfered, otherwise you're not gonna save much as insurance is calculated on a highest risk driver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

But If Jayrules insures the van and says that his Mum/Dad/Dog is the main driver on a proposal form, when he/she knows that is incorrect, it invalidates the cover.

Some companies allow you to state that you share an equal amount of driving, not just 'from to time'. It's a very big grey area anyway, I was a named driver on a policy for 4 years as it was just so expensive. One of the cars I bought myself but was a named driver on cost me €43K and I never had a problem.

Advertisement