Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Save €10 with Eircom

• 27-01-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭

Just got a reply from a query with Eircom.

If you had the 1MB package before the upgrade at €40 which was upgraded to 2MB, you can downgrade that to Home Starter (back to 1 MB) for 29.99

A saving of €10.

Happy Days. :)

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

still dearer than BT (and even UTV)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

saving and eircom don't go together in the same sentence, doesn't seem right.

as parsi said that's still way expensive for 1mbit broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Waiting for Smart to come to Sligo signe up a year go with a tardet date in May, still waiting a year later. The problem is that it costs to move to some of the others for a few months, i.e. install's and modems etc... any sugestions, Anyone know when Smart is comming to Sligo - Rathedmond. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dingding wrote:
    Waiting for Smart to come to Sligo signe up a year go with a tardet date in May, still waiting a year later. The problem is that it costs to move to some of the others for a few months, i.e. install's and modems etc... any sugestions, Anyone know when Smart is comming to Sligo - Rathedmond. :)
    BT's new offers (Feb 1st) gives free transfer from another provider to them if they don't have to supply a modem.:)
    6 month contract.

:) Looks like I will be leaving Eircom, Which would you recommen ESAT BT or UTV. Any advice or comments would be appriciated. :)

• Advertisement

dingding wrote:
    :) Looks like I will be leaving Eircom, Which would you recommen ESAT BT or UTV. Any advice or comments would be appriciated. :)
    I'd recommend BT. I'm with them since June '05 and have had no problems. You will hear horror stories about their billing dept but, as I said, i didn't have any probs:)
    Also, UTV will charge you a disconnection fee even if you are out of contract.

Thanks, I must look into this over the weekend and organise the change next week.

:):):):):)

I am all smiles, Euros up a month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BT's new offers (Feb 1st) gives free transfer from another provider to them if they don't have to supply a modem.
    Is that so ?
    Do I have to return my Eircom Modem if I cancel their service after being with them for 18 months .
    I knew I should have bought a router with a built in modem ...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

BT's new offers (Feb 1st) gives free transfer from another provider to them if they don't have to supply a modem

Where did you see that Kaizer?

Valentia wrote:
    Where did you see that Kaizer?
    It's in their press release here:
    https://home.btireland.ie/echannel/esat.portal?_nfpb=true&aboutUs_actionOverride=%2Fpageflows%2FaboutUs%2FdisplayPressRelease&aboutUscontentNode=%2Fechannel%2Fpressreleases%2Fstories%2Fenglishrelease%2F1-2006%2FmediaPRJan2006.html&aboutUsbreadCrumb=January+2006&_windowLabel=aboutUs
    MisterAnarchy, unless you bought the Eircom modem you'll have to return it. I don't know how strict they are about it though. I think th only modem they actually sold to customers is the Netopia wifi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

kaizersoze wrote:
    I'd recommend BT. I'm with them since June '05 and have had no problems. You will hear horror stories about their billing dept but, as I said, i didn't have any probs:)
    Also, UTV will charge you a disconnection fee even if you are out of contract.

Anyone who has been with UTV for a while should be careful of this charge as it may not apply to them. There are several sets of Terms and Conditions which apply to UTV customers - this departure charge was only introduced last year and if you have been with UTV from before that introduction make sure they do not charge you - their CSRs talk as if it refers to everybody - it doesnt and cannot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,040 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MisterAnarchy, unless you bought the Eircom modem you'll have to return it. I don't know how strict they are about it though. I think th only modem they actually sold to customers is the Netopia wifi.
    I knew I should have bought a Wireless Router with a built in modem,then again they were a rare breed when I was looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

dub45 wrote:
    Anyone who has been with UTV for a while should be careful of this charge as it may not apply to them. There are several sets of Terms and Conditions which apply to UTV customers - this departure charge was only introduced last year and if you have been with UTV from before that introduction make sure they do not charge you - their CSRs talk as if it refers to everybody - it doesnt and cannot.

Exactly. That is why anyone with UTV with the old Terms and Conditions should not sign up for the new product. As well as increased fees, they will have to pay the departure fee at a later stage.

If you wish to downgrade, you pay for that also.

Its a win,win.win situation for UTV and a lose,lose lose situation for the customer.

Can someone confirm that I have this right. At the moment I am with UTV and paying (I've just noticed) €45/month for the 3Mb plus pack. I think it should be 39.99, must check that. Anyway lets say it is €40/month plus line rental of €25. That's approx €65 in total.

BT's deal for the same service is €50/ month with line rental included. I have UTV talk but the kids insist on ringing mobiles so it hasn't made much difference.

That seems like a massive difference. Am I missing something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Valentia wrote:
    Can someone confirm that I have this right. At the moment I am with UTV and paying (I've just noticed) €45/month for the 3Mb plus pack. I think it should be 39.99, must check that. Anyway lets say it is €40/month plus line rental of €25. That's approx €65 in total.

BT's deal for the same service is €50/ month with line rental included. I have UTV talk but the kids insist on ringing mobiles so it hasn't made much difference.

Not really no...unless of course you like overpaying for a casterated(download CAP) service over a company which doesnt impose a hard CAP(when was the last time BT charged someone for overdownloading???).

Valentia wrote:

Your maths are correct. You probably are getting charged €45. The last UTV price drop required existing customers to request the change and sign up for another 12 months. If you didn't do that you were left on the old price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

€50 for 3Mb+line, after reading this thread me thinks I will be looking into this come Feb 1st!

anyone know how long it take to change over line and stuff? (or is it down to Eircom to get the finger out...)

(sorry about drifting off topic.)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Valentia wrote:

yes, its a massive difference and thats the best case scenario. You are paying, like me, €45 a month. The new packages if you sign up come into effect on the 1st Feb - that to give UTV the opportunity to charge those for exceeding the old cap and also tie them into more restrictive T&Cs at the same time.

However, the reduction from €45 to €39.99 for those who also have UTV Talk is only effective from 1st March. This, for me, is really an eyeopener in how to mistreat customers.

Hezus shrist. that is bad form :eek:

god's toy wrote:
    €50 for 3Mb+line, after reading this thread me thinks I will be looking into this come Feb 1st!

anyone know how long it take to change over line and stuff? (or is it down to Eircom to get the finger out...)

(sorry about drifting off topic.)
    9 working days for me with NO downtime. That was last June.
    And it does depend alot on Eircom getting the finger out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Thanks for the info dude!

*Note to self, 1st of feb ring Esat...*

Valentia wrote:
    Hezus shrist. that is bad form :eek:

Bad form indeed:eek: When UTV started this 'cute hoorism' of requiring a further 12 month contract to avail of lower prices I attempted to draw peoples attention to it on here and was criticised severly by a group of posters who used to love UTV:rolleyes:

UTV should realise that the best way to hold on to customers is to give good reliable service and provide innovative and competitive products something they used to do not so long ago.

I attempted to draw peoples attention to it on here and was criticised severly by a group of posters who used to love UTV

I was one. You were right. I always gave them what I thought was the benefit of the doubt. Silly me. It's just a pity SMART are not in Trim :(

Valentia wrote:
    I was one. You were right. I always gave them what I thought was the benefit of the doubt. Silly me. It's just a pity SMART are not in Trim :(

Seeing as how I am now happily on Smart (currently connected at 5088Kbps down and 605 Kbps up) I can be be magnanimous and forgive you:)

Seriously though it really saddens and angers me to see the way UTV have gone - I really hate this culture that they appear to have taken on board of get as much out of the customer as you can. At one stage they really lead the way in customer awareness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

what?

Advertisement