Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

NTL HD broadcasting ???

• 28-01-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I was just told on the phone today that they will be rolling this out in March this year by a lady in the NTL cancellations department. Can someone verify this or was this just being used as ammo to keep me from cancelling all my services.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive heard rumours that they were starting after september, but it doesnt stop them broadcasting a HD channel as a trial, all thats needed is an NTL HD decoder.

She may of been buttering you up tho, im sure if you rang in april you would be told june ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

NEVER believe any date/time that NTL give you, ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dell-Boy

From another thread:

I emailed NTL and asked about rolling out a HDTV service and here is the reply.

Thank you for your email. As per our Marketing Department they have
    advised the following regarding your query :

Support for Hi Definition is part of our development roadmap at ntl
    Ireland and we plan to have services available by the end of 2006.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards
    ntl Customer Support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

How do I sign up for the trial!! I'd be perfect. I've a HD Ready AE900 projector just sitting here waiting for some HD goodness! Gimme gimme gimme! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

I have rang them too about HD. The rather disinterested girl on the phone said 6 to 12 months. I cannot really take this serious though.

I live in Eastwall and NTL cannot even roll out broadband to this area due to the age of the cables in the area. Therefore, I do not expect to see HD TV for my 37 inch LCD work of art.

***QUESTION***
    I live in an apartment block. The apartment was pre wired for NTL and therefore I just ran with it. I would LOVE to have sky but lease agreements for apartments indicate that no satellite dishes are permitted on balconies (it is standard on all lease for apartments). Am I stuck with the incomptetent NTL til 2020 when they finally roll out HD or is there any way to get sky? I want to watch the Premiership in HD. Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Hey Frank.
    Just an idea but I've seen places on the web that sell satellite dishes that look like outdoor lamps.
    This basically masks the dish and wont bring attention to it sitting on the balcony of an apartment.
    I dunno off-hand what sites sell em but I'm sure you can research it and find out more (like do they work with SKY etc).
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Dell-Boy wrote:
    From another thread:

I emailed NTL and asked about rolling out a HDTV service and here is the reply.

Thank you for your email. As per our Marketing Department they have
    advised the following regarding your query :

Support for Hi Definition is part of our development roadmap at ntl
    Ireland and we plan to have services available by the end of 2006.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us
    on 1800 321 321 or once again e-mail us on customer.support@ntl.ie

Kind regards
    ntl Customer Support

Yep, that was my email.

I emailed them again recently seeing if I could be added to any trial list but all they said was it was coming out around xmas this year and they couldn't tell me about any trials.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

quazzy wrote:
    Yep, that was my email.

I emailed them again recently seeing if I could be added to any trial list but all they said was it was coming out around xmas this year and they couldn't tell me about any trials.
    frankdrebin
    I have rang them too about HD. The rather disinterested girl on the phone said 6 to 12 months. I cannot really take this serious though.

Hehe, they're pricless. Left foot not knowing etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

If anyone does hear anything about trials can they let everyone else know.

I personally think I would be the perfect candidate. Hi-Def AE900 projector with 90inch screen for checking if their piture quality is up to scratch, full 5.1 sound system for checking out their sound quality, fully computer literate and tech savvy able to give technical feedback etc etc :D

I'd say most of us are the same. Thing is though, they probably want ordinary joes to iron out usability issues for them to make sure that a monkey could use their new STB's while their own engineers get the trials to do the technical feedback stuff. As such, they probably won't actively seek NTL customers like us for the trial but while just randomly contact 1000 of their customers and offer them the trial.

Think I'll have to start crossing my fingers and toes and hope I'll be one of the lucky ones on the mailing list! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Any update on this?
    I've heard nothing from NTL regarding any upgrade of their service to HD.
    Didn't Chorus buy over NTL Ireland?
    What effect will that have on the rollout?

With SKY powering on with their HD service (and doing a good job from what I can see) it seems odd that the main Cable provider is not trying to get a competing package out there. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

UPC bought over chorus and NTL.

In the UK NTL has merged with telewest and is named NTL:Telewest in most cases

One of the products on soon to be on offer is the tvdrive, which is the same as a skyHD box (even better when it has VOD) in relation to recording and viewing HD material.

I just wonder if any service like this will appear over here sometime from NTL, or by then, maybe UPC.

Either way, it's early days for HD in Ireland. Considering the price at this time.

Advertisement