Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HireCar options/opinions/suggestions

Options
  • 28-01-2006 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

I'm heading off to Miami next week. Been looking around at some different sites trying to choose. Prices aint the worst, certainly not Irish prices anyway.

This is what I've come up with so far (doesnt need to be practical - it's a holiday, so the wackier the better :D

Rental_Decision.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭comanche_cor

I think that you will find that in the us you never get exactly the car you request, you get the same class of car. At least thats always been my experience.

How long are you going for? If you are going for a while you may get an upgrade. In San Jose for a few weeks, asked for ford focus got upgrade to pontaic grand prix (heap of junk bit of a boat to be honest but bigger than focus).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Was in florida last year. Requested a Mazda 626 with neverlost and a full tan of petrol. The only car they had with never lost was a Jag XJ8 :) which done very nicely.

Charged sometihing like 100 extra for this car. Only I was tired and not thinking I probably could have haggled to not paying extra as the reason I went with Hertz was neverlost.

Can recommend neverlost, particularly if you are not familar with the area and the road layouts.

Can recommend the 4.2L Jag also :) pity about the speed limits

I think it came to €1,300 for 3 weeks. Also it can be slightly cheaper to book it by phone in Ireland as you do not pre-pay and only pay when you return the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Go for it, ciarsd. As modern an American car as you can get. I insist you give us a full review upon your return :)

Pros: RWD (yaheeeee!), 3.5V6, all mod cons
    Cons: It's American, 4sp auto :rolleyes: Proper cars with automatic transmission (i.e. non-Japanese, non-American) had 5 speeds decades ago

Make sure you go for a full insurance waiver, although it will cost you a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Mac 3

I got a Mustang convertible in San Fran last year. From the first day I saw it I wanted to have a drive in one, so the next time I was heading to the states, I made it my business to get hold of one.

My flight was with Aer Lingus, they have a link on thier site that gives a discounted rate with Hertz and I booked online. As stated on most sites, you book by class of car, ie, saloon, estate, luxury, SUV. They say that they can't gaurantee that the car in the photo is the one you get. Icalled the reservation office in Dublin and I asked the rep in Dublin to add that I would prefer a Mustang and I was told that if there was one on site that day it would be kept for me.

There was no way I was taking a Sebring or something else, but on the day there was a lovely silver Mustang Convertible waiting for me. It's well worh getting something nice to make a holiday more memorable.

Hope it works out for you.

Mac

Advertisement