Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abysmal second-level banking facilities in Ireland.

Options
  • 28-01-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Am I the only second student who is frustrated at the lack of second level student banking facilities in Ireland, compared to our UK counterparts? Specifically, I'm talking about some kind of debt card system. I know we have laser, but only for people over eighteen with a certain income. Why not just a simple debt card system which takes money from your bank a/c as you spend it, like switch or solo (at least I think this is how it works).
    It would make online shopping far easier (rather than having to use a parent's credit card), and also would save me having to carry cash, even a wallet.

Another issue - I sent an email to Bank of Ireland (my bank) about this. My email contained what was mentioned above, and asked for the reasons why (legislative issues, what?). The reply I received told me A - credit cards are unavailable to U18's (who mentioned credit cards?) - and B - the laser debt card system is also, unfortunately, unavailable to U18's.
    Completely avoiding the sole purpose of my email; why. I sent another email reiterating my original question as to why, and have not to this date received a response. Hardly good customer relations? I'll keep it in mind when I'm choosing who to go to for my mortgage, thanks lads... :rolleyes:

Am I unreasonable to expect decent facilities from a population who do not contribute to their profits in any way? I pay no banking fees, and have no intention of taking out a loan any time soon. I withdrew from an ATM for the first time today. And yes, I felt very cosmopolitan. [Sarcasm]

Below are copies of the emails sent and received for anybody who is interested.

Original sent:
    Dear sirs,
    I am writing to you in complaint regarding the poor banking facilities available to second level students in the Republic of Ireland. You offer second level banking, with the ability to withdraw and lodge money. Also supplied is an ATM card so we can all feel somewhat cosmopolitan, and of course credit topup. What more could we want?
    Personally, I would like to see services akin to the levels received in the UK, particularly a debt card, and I am curious as to why there is no Irish alternative (that I am aware of)? Are there regulatory issues which prevent banks offering debt cards to second level students in Ireland? If not, have you any plans to implement such a facility?
    It would certainly save a lot of hassle with online ordering, and having to use parents credit cards, and having the money debited straight from my account would be very convenient.
    Perhaps food for thought? Other than the above mentioned lack of facilities I am very pleased with your banking services, and will be maintaining my account with you through my third level education.
    Regards,
    Cian Clarke

Reply received:

Dear Mr Clarke

Thank you for your email to the Bank of Ireland Customer Care Unit.

The reason we do not offer credit cards to second level students in because the majority of them would be under 18. A credit card application form is a legally binding contract and would not be enforceable if signed by a person under the age of 18.

With regards a debt card. The debt card in the true sense of the word is an Amex card. Again you must meet the minimum requirements to receive one of these.

If you are thinking of a Laser card, there needs to be a minimum turnover on the account. Again you need to be over 18 to apply for a Laser card.

I trust this is satisfactory, however if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely
    *NAME*
    Customer Care Unit

My second email, to which a reply was never received:
    Aisling,
    Many thanks for your reply. I can understand the reasoning behind not offering a credit card to second level students, and understandably a credit card would be appropriate for persons aged under eighteen.
    However, I see no reason as to why a Debt Card service cannot be provided. I am not familiar with an "Amex card", however upon further research it seems that the UK equivalent of the Laser card (a Solo card) is available to students under the age of eighteen, without many restrictions.

I have also searched for an Irish alternative, and all that I can find available is the "Laser" card, however why not another alternative for younger people? I have searched their website, however useful information seems far between - there is no mention of the terms and conditions which apply.
    I see you need to be eighteen to apply for a Laser, but as per my original email I am raising the question as to why? I am aware of several UK banks who are providing Solo cards to second level students, but why is there no bank doing the same in Ireland? Are there regulatory/legal issues in Ireland that do not exist in the UK?

Surely the Laser Card system is ideal for this, and an alternative could be made for student banking which does not have such stringing requirements? Should I be taking this issue up with Laser as opposed to Bank of Ireland? Once again many thanks for your reply to this matter.
    Regards,
    Cian Clarke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You might be better off writing an actual letter. Email complaints tend to get lazy reponses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Hm, I might give that a go - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Why do you call it Abysmal when your complaint seems to be only about one thing - the lack of a debit card to under 18's?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Well Laser cards are only provided to customers with a minimum amount of money going in to their account.. Lazer cards also work totally differently to credit cards or even some other debit cards, i.e. the fact they are a debit card is not the only difference..

Try applying for a Maestro debit card..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think the Maestro branded debit card is only available with AIB (not just Laser with Maestro function) - and they certainly don't seem to publicise it much!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Is this card available to all?

Advertisement