Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FOX shows boths sides, not

Options
  • 28-01-2006 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Just a vid I stumbled upon and wanted to share. I may not be a communist myself but sometimes these righties take things way to far...
    Does anyone here get FOX? Is it this bad _all_ time or they they actually have an ounce of professionalism? Pardon the background music but there you go => http://www.ownagevideos.com/page.php?id=523

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

yer one with the glasses is behind the World Can't Wait organisation.

and you only have to take a look at some of the ****e Bill O'Reily spouts to see how unprofessional FOX actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Fox News is the only news station that I know that sued two of its reporters for not lying about a story and won.

http://www.foxbghsuit.com/

Also have a wander over to Mediamatters.org , they have tons of similar videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I was watching Fox one day and they were, ahem, "interviewing" some bloke out of the American army about the occupation of either Afghanistan or Iraq and they just let him rant on uninterrupted for about five minutes. Then the "interviewer" said thanks and turned to the camera and said "We got to get in their and get the bad guys".

I mean wtf????!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

From our HeadQuarters in New York,
    Spinning out of contorl
    Coming to you at the speed of Lies,
    The No1 News Network America distrusts
    FOX NEWS!
    Fair.................and biased ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Vic Mackey

Fox news is legendary! its so totally biased and pro bush but when anyone levels this claim at them their told fox news is fair and unbiased!

i always watch the o reily factor for a good laugh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They described Europe as intellectually and morally bankrupt.
    Come on ...........intellectualy!

I love the O'reilly factor. Did you see the e-mail from "Billy" who was being bullied:D
    They are biased but so are all media. They only seem bad because most media are liberal and they are conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

are they supposed to show both sides? where is the law that says media must be balanced? I t would be great if the media was balanced but everything from an phoblacht and indymedia to fox and the telegraph have their agendas....

UK law you have to show balanced media, well at least when it comes to politics. Thats how they were able to censor Galloway on CBB.

US libel laws are very very lax, so you can spout pretty much any kind of crap as long as you don't do it through malice (victim has to prove malice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Nuttzz wrote:
    where is the law that says media must be balanced?

I think the main thing that pisses people off about FOX News so much is that they make such a big deal about being "Fair & Balanced". Its their slogan, they constantly go on about it and they are always attack other news organisations for being unfair and biased in their reporting.

The funny thing is, they probably do believe they are being fair and balanced because they believe that all other news media is biased towards the leftwing/liberals agenda and hostle towards the right wing (not realising that news should be hostle to all forms of government, or it isn't doing its job). So they feel they are the only ones that are giving the Republicans and Bush a fair view hearing

Of course thats nuts, but people always think they are being fair to their side when everyone else is being unfair.

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote:
    (not realising that news should be hostle to all forms of government, or it isn't doing its job). .

Why? Can't a government do a good job. (Rare but it happens)

Why? Can't a government do a good job. (Rare but it happens)

It is not the responsibility of the news media to tell the population the government is doing a good job. For a start "good job" is a relative concept. The news should not like or prefare any government or political party or organisation. It should probe and be critical of all forms of public organsiations.

Wicknight wrote:
    It is not the responsibility of the news media to tell the population the government is doing a good job. For a start "good job" is a relative concept. The news should not like or prefare any government or political party or organisation. It should probe and be critical of all forms of public organsiations.

But they never do that and cannot do that. Even how they phrase a sentence affects what people see. They except some "dubious" behaviour as valid eg.homosexuality which cuts off a section of society who then create Fox News's. Then people offended by this set up The Village's. Then the first unbiased media crumbles. All you can get are medias near the centre like The Irish Times

But they never do that and cannot do that. Even how they phrase a sentence affects what people see.
    I didn't say it doesn't.
    They except some "dubious" behaviour as valid eg.homosexuality which cuts off a section of society who then create Fox News's.
    Who do? How?

Wicknight wrote:
    I think the main thing that pisses people off about FOX News so much is that they make such a big deal about being "Fair & Balanced". Its their slogan, they constantly go on about it and they are always attack other news organisations for being unfair and biased in their reporting.

The funny thing is, they probably do believe they are being fair and balanced because they believe that all other news media is biased towards the leftwing/liberals agenda and hostle towards the right wing (not realising that news should be hostle to all forms of government, or it isn't doing its job). So they feel they are the only ones that are giving the Republicans and Bush a fair view hearing

Of course thats nuts, but people always think they are being fair to their side when everyone else is being unfair.

Indymedia say that:

The Independent Media Centre Network is a network of collectively run media outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of the truth

but i dont believe that either......

Nuttzz wrote:
    Indymedia say that:

The Independent Media Centre Network is a network of collectively run media outlets for the creation of radical, accurate, and passionate tellings of the truth

but i dont believe that either......

Don't worry, Indymedia pisses of its fair share of people ...

IndyMedia, Fox News, Pravda. Different agendas, none balanced.

Hobbes wrote:
    IndyMedia, Fox News, Pravda. Different agendas, none balanced.

correct so it is unreasonable to start moaning that they are not...(not you hobbes, the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Nuttzz wrote:
    correct so it is unreasonable to start moaning that they are not...(not you hobbes, the OP)

Why not? If it were true to say "everyone breaks the law at some point", does this mean that its unreasonable to start complaining about people who break the law?

There are degrees of honesty and bias. There is a distinction between deliberately spreading propaganda and merely not being entirely balanced and fair in a report.
    Wicknight wrote:

Two points on this:

1) If "good job" is a relative concept and thus unacceptable, so is "bad job". Thus, the media are as equally (un)suited to say the government are doing something wrong as they are to say it is doing something right.

2) Its the media's job to be critical, yes. However, lets not forget that there is such a thing as positive and/or constructive criticism.

At the end of the day, anyone who trusts a single source (or a single flavour of sources) for their information will be inevitably somewhat mis- and under-informed. The only people who are seriously misled by Fox are those who choose to be - those who (for lack of a better description) choose the news source that fits with their pre-established beliefs, rather than those who look for sources to become informed.

I'm amazed this issue is rearing its head (again) though. I would have thought a far more interesting media-related topic would be that of Wikipedia banning the IPs of the House of Congress this week because of the amount of dirty-tricks editing that was going on from there (defaming opponents, removing "unawnted" history from bios, etc.) was just staggering.

As someone said...its a sad day when a public institution has to protect itself from vandalism carried out by the government.

jc

bonkey wrote:
    Why not? If it were true to say "everyone breaks the law at some point", does this mean that its unreasonable to start complaining about people who break the law?

There are degrees of honesty and bias. There is a distinction between deliberately spreading propaganda and merely not being entirely balanced and fair in a report.

ok, what i am trying to say is that the OP is kidding themsleves if they think Fox doesnt lean a certain way and expects them to support/develop/evenly report an agenda the owners/editors dont agree with, like wise if I started to bitch about Indymedia leaning a certain way and not showing balance I'd be kidding myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Nuttzz wrote:
    are they supposed to show both sides?

Yes they are! Especially when they have a motto of "the truth in the news" and claim to be "fair and balanced".

Try watching this: http://www.outfoxed.org/
    and tell me if you think they are fair or balanced.
    where is the law that says media must be balanced?

You have already been shown the UK law. In Ireland ther is also the Mc Kenna judgement.
    It would be great if the media was balanced but everything from an phoblacht and indymedia to fox and the telegraph have their agendas....

There is a difference between having a political line and cutting off the mike of your detractors, telling people persistently to shutup (and later denying that) or claiming someone you did not like on your show - and who showed you up after YOU brought their mother and father into the debate - claiming lies about them like that they said George Bush planned 9/11. That is NOT an agenda that is plainly lying and stifling debate and free speech. the US had this sort of thing before. The Salem Witch Trials was one manifestation of them. Lynch mobs were another.

its a motto ffs!

UK law? so what, Fox is american...

indymedia has never removed stories from its detractors?

I dont think fox is balanced, i have already said that, what i am saying is that people are kidding themselves if they expect then to be balanced......

Nuttzz wrote:

Maybe I missed a post, but who here is putting up Indymedia as an example of a fair and unbiased news source? In my view Indymedia is a far worse news source than an organsiation like FOX News

Nuttzz wrote:
    its a motto ffs!

UK law? so what, Fox is american...

THAT was NOT the point you made. You did not mention US law but there have been cases there as well.
    If you think only US law applies to Fox then you are displaying some ignorance.
    Maybe you have been watching to much fox news? You seem to be of the mindset who think that Al Jazera should answer to everyone else but Fox only to the people currently controling the Us administration.

So what? even if true two wrongs do not make a right! You cant claim Fox is "fair and balanced" by showing that others are not.
    I dont think fox is balanced, i have already said that, what i am saying is that people are kidding themselves if they expect then to be balanced......

Theat is NOT the point! The point is that fox CLAIM to be "fair and balanced"

Also surveys shown on OUTFOXED show how people who view Fox news believe the fox message to a much greater degree than others who watch ABC or CBS news for example.

Do a search in the following on "some people say"

http://www.outfoxed.org/docs/outfoxed_transcript.pdf

Simple questions like did al Khyda have anything to do with Iraq or Saddam hussain having WMD and supporting terror are actually believed by ~Fax viewers.

Look at from 49:05 on

particularly the questions after 49:27

You can NOT even compare Fox to other news channels as you claim. These results prove that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Comparing Fox to Indymedia is ridulous.

Fox is owned and run by a multibillion dollar empire, Fox is a corporation. Fox is a piece of ****.

Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage.

ISAW wrote:
    Maybe you have been watching to much fox news?

see very little of fox, bar the jennifer lopez "blowjob" gaff that went arond the net, bbc world 24 for me...
    ISAW wrote:
    You seem to be of the mindset who think that Al Jazera should answer to everyone else but Fox only to the people currently controling the Us administration.

never mentioned Al Jazera, I think that Al J is its own way brings balance to the debate
    ISAW wrote:
    You cant claim Fox is "fair and balanced" by showing that others are not.

you're right but i have never claimed that fox was fair or balanced i have said they are not and that the OP was kidding himself to expect fox to be fair and balanced considering its repuation

ISAW wrote:
    Theat is NOT the point! The point is that fox CLAIM to be "fair and balanced"

so my friend claims to be the worlds greatest lover, that doesnt automatically make him so
    ISAW wrote:
    Also surveys shown on OUTFOXED show how people who view Fox news believe the fox message to a much greater degree than others who watch ABC or CBS news for example.

does that show that fox is much better at getting its message across or does it say something about the people who watch fox? or both or something else

ISAW wrote:
    You can NOT even compare Fox to other news channels as you claim. These results prove that!

where did i claim that?
    Comparing Fox to Indymedia is ridulous.
    i was using indymedia as something on the other end of the scale to fox
    Fox is owned and run by a multibillion dollar empire, Fox is a corporation. Fox is a piece of ****.

quite true
    Indymedia is a collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage.

thats what they like to believe, but this story here is just a lift from the corporate media, they done this plenty of times... or the get us off dentention comrades stories like this one http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=73840 :rolleyes: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

Nuttzz wrote:
    never mentioned Al Jazera, I think that Al J is its own way brings balance to the debate

I agree, I do read AL JAZEERA online news everyday... they do have their way but i must say they seem to cover a wider view on some of the world's issues/stories and do show good arguments from both sides.
    Check them out:

http://english.aljazeera.net/HomePage

Nuttzz wrote:
    see very little of fox, bar the jennifer lopez "blowjob" gaff that went arond the net, bbc world 24 for me...

You cant be watchi9ng it 24 hours a day though :)

for me "balance" does not mean having two mutually exculsive sides and each always opposing the other. the are many shades of grey and antagonists may agree on some points. the important thing is not to confuse fact with opinion and to show people where they can go to find things out. Fox continually distort this with the use of phrases like "you know what?..." and "sompeople say..." as if the following phrase is a fact!
    you're right but i have never claimed that fox was fair or balanced i have said they are not and that the OP was kidding himself to expect fox to be fair and balanced considering its repuation

If I accused you of making a claim you didnt then I withdraw the accusation. My main interest in this is in the thread title and contributing to the debate as to whether Fox News is "fair and balanced" and what good standards should be.
    so my friend claims to be the worlds greatest lover, that doesnt automatically make him so

But your friend does not continually broadcast this message to hundreds of millions of people and support it with the opinion of a variety of "experts". Making claims that are not true even if you believe them to be is acceptable. Putting those claims out to the public and insisting they must be true to a degree which causes the death of others is not acceptable.
    does that show that fox is much better at getting its message across or does it say something about the people who watch fox? or both or something else

Good questions. The Fox news message is the Bush line. Bush supporters watch Fox to a higher degree. But continual exposure to propaganda affects anybody. People who watch fox also tend to be loyal to it and not switch to other channels for other opinions. and dont forget it IS opinion and not fact most of the time.
    i was using indymedia as something on the other end of the scale to fox

Indymedia is a different setup and not claiming to be a news feed like AP. Don't forget Fox made the call on the Presidential election without convincing evidence. NBC CBS and ABC all fell into line behind Fox which shows that propaganda works even on media people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They described Europe as intellectually and morally bankrupt.
    Come on ...........intellectualy!

and the US, the hub of capitalism, is um financially bancrupt, 8 trillion dollars in debt.

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote:
    Good questions. The Fox news message is the Bush line. Bush supporters watch Fox to a higher degree. But continual exposure to propaganda affects anybody. People who watch fox also tend to be loyal to it and not switch to other channels for other opinions. and dont forget it IS opinion and not fact most of the time.

That is a rather petty way to right off other viewpoints. They do tend to support bush but have also disagreed with him on several occasions. They have the same viewpoint in many ways but they don't follow him like some mutt.

Advertisement