Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat DSL - Static IP?

• 28-01-2006 7:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Esat will provide a static ip for their dsl service? Also if they will pass dns control onto me. Do I need to have a business account to do this or can you do it for a once off fee?

Reason being is I want to setup dns for a domain name I have to point to my pc, and ill be wanting my own dns support so i can handle my domain name (rather than just forward it to an ip like no-ip.com/dynsdns.org/etc).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

Reason being is I want to setup dns for a domain name I have to point to my pc, and ill be wanting my own dns support so i can handle my domain name (rather than just forward it to an ip like no-ip.com/dynsdns.org/etc).

You could use something like DirectNIC's directDNS service if you have a fixed IP address. I used it here (at home) for a couple of years and its works fine.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah most hosters will allow you to do an "A record" so you could say send www.youraddress.com to your ip of your pc.

aslong as its static

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭v10

BT only offer static IP's on their business packages .. their standard BT Broadband and Broadband Plus don't offer fixed IP address's last time I checked with them anyway (6 months ago).

I use www.dyndns.org because my netgear router has a facility built in to automatically send my ip address to them every time it changes. Works a treat for me.

Eircom offer fixed IP's on their higher package (dunno the name) and UTV offer it on all packages for €5 per month extra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

AFAIK the IP address only changes every time you turn on or reset your modem. Mine seems to stay the same until I reset or turn it off anyway - I've served some Counter-Strike servers from here a couple of times ^_^. So you could just never turn off your modem - it should only be around 10W so it won't be much worse than having a radio alarm clock on all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Big P

Oh right, guess I'll give em a call and see if there's any persuading which can be done!
    AFAIK the IP address only changes every time you turn on or reset your modem. Mine seems to stay the same until I reset or turn it off anyway - I've served some Counter-Strike servers from here a couple of times ^_^. So you could just never turn off your modem - it should only be around 10W so it won't be much worse than having a radio alarm clock on all the time.
    My connection seems to drop around 3.30am every morning, but then my connection seems to drop a few times a day when im torrenting :/ so my ip gets updated multiple times a day heh. Plus I never turn off anyway since my pc is always on, I have my WRT54G in bridge mode with it and it currently says: " Uptime : 69 days, 20:52:35 " :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement