Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic Driver woes

Options
  • 28-01-2006 7:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

I have an unmoded agp Radeon 9800 pro 128mb, running on win 2000. I had the Ati cat 6.1 drivers on my system, and all was fine, until I installed the new Omega v3.8.205 (based on the Ati 6.1) and things went wrong. I uninstalled the original drivers using the cat-uninstaller.exe before installing the omega drivers, and everything went fine until the last screen, after it installs Multires. The screen informs me I should allow any reg chances and any files that are to be overwritten. I get the following prompts:

Cannot import C:\program: Error opening the file, There may be a disk or file system error… Continue etc.

I also get the same prompts for the following: Files\Radeon:,
    Omega:,
    Drivers\v3.8.205\ATT_Prof.reg:.

Following this I am asked weather I want a shortcut on my desktop for Ati Tray Tools. I have tried following the uninstall instructions on the Omegadrivers website, and reinstalling the original Ati 6.1 drivers which seem to install fine, but they do not work properly.

Both driver’s produce similar results in battlefield 2, on single player it works fine (possibly due to small maps?) but the large multiplayer maps stutter immediately after joining the game, with very slow performance for about 30 seconds, then it reboots my computer. I have also noticed there is a slight outline surrounding the dark areas on my desktop, as if the colour was slightly off. This is my favourite Game and I’m already experiencing heavy withdraw symptoms. I don’t really know that much about this kind of stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

I uninstalled thr omega drivers and tried to run a disk check, using the utility in the tool's menue of the properties options on my C:\. there are two options, one is auto fix all issues and i cant remember the other.. If I select these I am informed that I dont have full access priviliges to the entire drive, yet I am the administratior? Leaving the options unselected it performs the scan and fines no errors, or at least does not report them. If I use the same defragmenter I get a red (fragmented part) on the end of the progress bar, The drive defragments to this point and just hangs there. If I use O&O Defrag Profesional, it performs the full defragment, moving the files the regular one does not, but they are still highlighted red, and performing a regular defrag will return them to the original section of the progress bar...

I have had this defrag problem for about two months, but it didnt seem to be a performance problem before. I have updated the original ati cat driver a few times lately and everything worked fine untill I tried the Omega drivers for the first time, the other day.

I think there may be a driver conflict, but I'm only guessing. Does anybody know how to compleatly remove any trace of graphic drivers from win 200 pro (except vga basic drivers), I have allready used CCleaner and the utility Driver cleaner. I have also used catuninstall utility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Try following the purge driver steps in the ATI driver FAQ at Rage3D.

Advertisement