Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another player that will play .aac files?

• 28-01-2006 8:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I'm a disgruntled ipod owner and I'm thinking of buying a new, and different, music player. The only problem is, I have around 30gigs of music in aac format. If I convert it to mp3 I'll lose a lot of quality.

So I was wondering, have any of you heard of another brand of music player that plays aac files? I know apple don't own the rights to aac. I've looked through most of the big manufacturers websites, but haven't seen anything yet.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Why would you lose quality by converting to mp3? Surely if you use a decent bitrate you'll retain quality but just make the files bigger?

I don't know of any other player that plays .aac unfortunately. Why not convert to MP3, WAV or even FLAC and get the best brand of player out there - an iAudio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you transcode from one lossy format to another you will lose quality. The only option for octo would be to re-rip all of the cds again into mp3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yes, quality is lost, it is like taking a photocopy of a photocopy. It gets worse and worse the more you do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I can't help you on other players that play AAC files but I found this free program called JHymn/ that will take the DRM off anything you might have bought off iTunes. It converts them into MP3 and claims to be lossless. I've used it and the resulting MP3s sound pretty good to me.

DBPowerAmp can convert AACs to other formats. Failing that, all you can do is go and re-rip everything again like the others have suggested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,839 ✭✭✭✭cormie

RockBox should be supporting AAC fully some time... soon?? Perhaps soon, perhaps not... but it's supported already, just not fully, not in realtime, whatever that means.

• Advertisement
Advertisement