Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that the new deals have been announced..

• 28-01-2006 10:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I posted this thread here about a month ago looking for the best Broadband and phone deal for me.

Basically, I want the cheapest option for always on broadband and phone calls. I'm currently with UTV Clicksilver and 1MB download/8GB cap is fine for me. I want free local and national calls ANY time included in line rental cost. Cheaper mobile calls are quite important too.

If NTL is to be suggested, we currently have the regular 15 stations, I'm not sure if that's classed as cable or what. We're not willing to pay any more for extra stations.

I'm in the Bray area so I'm not sure what exchange that is on and who I can connect to.

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds to me your happy with what you have and it seems to suit your needs. BTW, your BB connection should now be 2mb and your cap goes up to 12gb at the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Hi Cormie, With such low broadband usage, my guess is that the call costs are the more important factor for you.

If you wish to benefit from any of the new UTV offers you will need to sign a new contract which has a cancellation charge built in for €59.99/€29.99.

Staying with UTV on the your current package long term is not really an option either as all the market becomes more competitive.

In my opinion, you should move now to the basic BT package before the cancellation fee kicks in with UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

If NTL is to be suggested, we currently have the regular 15 stations, I'm not sure if that's classed as cable or what. We're not willing to pay any more for extra stations.

NTL probably would be sugguested. The 15 analogue stations are not cable.
    You can't find out from the website so you have to ring to see if cable broadband is in your area.
    If available, you do not have to get additional stations.I got it a few months back, free install and first 3 months free.
    NTL broadband would give you the option of porting your number to a VOIP provider and cancelling your Eircon line rental.:rolleyes:

Another option u could consider if available is Smart Telecom €35 & BlueFace unlimited Ire/UK landline calls for €15.
    €50 includes Bb, Line Rental & Calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    Thanks for the feedback. I just rang Smart and NTL, neither are available in Bray yet.

If know some of you may be suggesting to go for 2mb/12gb over 1mb/8gb if it's only €5 dearer or whatever it may be, I do the same myself when people ask for suggestions on mp3 players but the extra €5 or whatever it may be per month, really wont be worth it for me:o

My usage is low in terms of GB downloaded etc but I'm online a lot!

We're currently with UTV Talk, Free off peak local and national calls included in the line rental.

A lot of on peak calls are made so basically I'm just looking for the cheapest always on BB package with free local/national calls any time.

Is BT the way to go? It was before the new packages were announced, but I wanted to wait and see what the new deals would be. Are they still the best for my needs?

Thanks again:)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

i wouldnt bother changing Cormie

what u have kinda suits u ,

BT does not give free calls with their basic package
    if you take the free calls option with them its the exact same price as what your paying now to utv 55euro

i take it that like me ur on the old UTV contracts which means no cancellation fees and only need one months notice

but BTs billing system is a mess , my friends who have the same package get billed different amounts !!!!

• Advertisement

But UTV only offer free off peak calls compared to anytime by BT, or am I mistaken:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I'm not sure of the best Broadband provider for you but I'm currently with euphony for my calls, It's €10 a month for free anytime local and national calls. They say on their website ( www.euphony.ie ) that they will offer broadband soon.

As far as I can see, that doesn't include line rental:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

talk talk is only free to other talk talk customers I think:(

Gaelic Telecom is dearer than talk talk.
    Gaelic Telecom seem to have a good broadband deal of €20 pm for always on, there is a connection fee though:(

What's the story with BT if I'm a current BB user and I want BB and line rental and free calls from them? Are bt the best to go for for my needs?

Thanks again for the feedback:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

BOHSBOHS wrote:
    i wouldnt bother changing Cormie

what u have kinda suits u ,

BT does not give free calls with their basic package
    if you take the free calls option with them its the exact same price as what your paying now to utv 55euro

i take it that like me ur on the old UTV contracts which means no cancellation fees and only need one months notice

but BTs billing system is a mess , my friends who have the same package get billed different amounts !!!!
    I'm with BT — basic 2Mb BB + Talk Plus (for the same reasons — need flat-rate landline calls anytime) and I'd say BOHSBOHS is right. The BT product itself and the tech support are grand, but the billing ops are a shambles. Suits me at the moment, 'cause I owe them about €400 (as opposed to €450-odd according to the 'system') and, since I kicked up a stink a few months ago, they've agreed in writing not to cut me off or 'pursue' me until they can work out my bill correctly. So the ball's in their court, and I've effectively had four months' free credit from them so far. But it is a pain in the @rse having to check and double-check every bill, and invariably find and then challenge the errors...

I'm out of my min. contract since November, so if anyone comes up with a better price for the same deal I'm ready to walk... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Macker

I just got a cold call from Talktalk ,the chap said 46E for internet ,line rental and all local and national calls ,no cap on downloads

Advertisement