Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scandalous Meteor Data Charges

• 28-01-2006 11:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was sitting down bored using my phone(6230i), I tried to browse to boards.ie, anyways it takes ages and nothing really displayed so I disconnect. Later that evening I go to send a text and it tells me I've no credit so I check my balance online only to discover that the GPRS call cost me €3.87! :eek:
    Like WTF! The page didn't even download properly. Rang meteor to complain but got nowhere!
    Turns out their data rates are 3c for every KB! :eek: That is a ridiculous price if you ask me.
    [/end rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Did it with O2 myself once cost me nearly a fiver, hence why I use the wifi on me phone;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

When will the phone companies every cop the hell on and see that people just simply won't pay this extortion for data? If they had any business sense, they would reduce the price so people would use it more.

Mobile phone penetration has now hit almost 100% - surely data services are an area for growth? Or are they just simply telling us that they don't want us to use data services on their networks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Just checked boards.ie and it's about 400Kb...at that price....I'd pay €12 just to open the home page! That is ridiculous!....I'm deleting my WAP settings off my phone so it can never happen again....thank god I ran outta credit & it didn't take €12 off my account....
    Can someone confirm that I will still be able to send MMS' if I delete my WAP/GPRS settings....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Methinks you need the MMS/GPRS settings as you will need some kinda gprs connection to download the message but dont quote me on it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

woody wrote:
    Methinks you need the MMS/GPRS settings as you will need some kinda gprs connection to download the message but dont quote me on it :rolleyes:
    Hmm I thought there was two different settings....one for WAP/GPRS and the other for MMS....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

fletch wrote:
    Hmm I thought there was two different settings....one for WAP/GPRS and the other for MMS....

There are. I'm not sure TBH. There are GPRS settings in the MMS settings but it might need both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

chrislad wrote:
    There are. I'm not sure TBH. There are GPRS settings in the MMS settings but it might need both.

only one way to find out. you can always get them again. it should work i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭arctictree

Sorry for opening an old thread but I really have to b*tch about operators GPRS charges. I sometimes use GPRS when I am on the move to connect to webmail and at 2K per KB it is rediculous. Simple web pages can cost 2 euro to open and never mind what your PC is doing in the background

Cheapest 'package' from my operator is 15MB for about a tenner. This is really stupid in this day and age!!

A

arctictree wrote:
    Cheapest 'package' from my operator is 15MB for about a tenner. This is really stupid in this day and age!!

Of course you can now get 10Gb for 20 Euro a month now, so it's not quite as bad.

tom dunne wrote:
    Of course you can now get 10Gb for 20 Euro a month now, so it's not quite as bad.

Thats 3G isn't it? Unfortunatlely, I'm not in a 3G area.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

with a 3 phone, you can use it outside of full 3g areas, so it doesn have to be 3g coverage.

meteor have an isp rate which is cheaper but still pretty pricey for data. go hunt down an old thread on it, theres loads of info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Tree wrote:
    with a 3 phone, you can use it outside of full 3g areas, so it doesn have to be 3g coverage.

meteor have an isp rate which is cheaper but still pretty pricey for data. go hunt down an old thread on it, theres loads of info there.

yeah that's right, it's half a cent per KB, I used it for a while until I switched to 3.

By the way if I roam to GSM (2G) with 3, I can make calls but I can't make a GPRS data connection. I don't know if that's just misconfiguration on my side or just not possible, but I would ask some more people before going with 3 if you live outside a 3G area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

If you're talking about Meteor when you say their packages are 15M for €10,
    that page is way out of date.
    Why meteor can't get it together to advertise this stuff correctly, I don't know.
    It's a pilot scheme to guage interest for a 3G launch I suppose.

I get 10GB on my meteor phone for €30 a month, and €10 now gets you 100MB. There's also a 250MB package for about €20.

@arctictree, Meteor don't yet have an active 3G network, so you don't need to be in a 3G area to get the connection. If your 2G reception includes EDGE,
    and your phone is compatible, you'll get about 200kb speeds.
    Best thing about it is you can subscribe for just one month if you like,
    or take a repeat subscription. You do need to be billpay, and need to be on Talk 400 or higher for the 10GB option.

Unfortunately, the packages are activated on your next billing day,
    which is probably nearly a month away now.
    Ring Meteor on 1905 and ask about data addons.
    They should know about them by now.

NiallB

niallb wrote:
    Why meteor can't get it together to advertise this stuff correctly, I don't know.

I get 10GB on my meteor phone for €30 a month, and €10 now gets you 100MB. There's also a 250MB package for about €20.

Thanks NiallB - I was looking at www.meteor.ie->BillPay Services-> Latest Offers->Data Add On Bundles

It says there 15MB for EUR 10. So thats of data? Jeez, they should really update this stuff....

A

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,504 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Meteor have their "ISP" set of settings that should be in your phone thats cheaper in the long term - charges you for 256 or 512k in one block but it works out as .48c/KB.

<s>Theres the data snapons for billpay too but these seem to be very badly planned and marketed - they only apply from your next bill date; and the best one you can get on Talk 200 seems to work out as .058c/KB for the first 25 megs, pre-bought.</s> (wait, read niallb's stuff about this, not mine...)

I'm intrigued about the new ones, I've signed up for the 15 quid once-off one which was 25MB; but if the 10 quid one is now 100... what will the €15 get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,504 ✭✭✭✭L1011

niallb wrote:

They just sent out an email advertising the old packages to bill pay customers today. Marketing not knowing what the financial side is doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

p.s. anyone who does want to actually surf boards.ie on the mobile, try activiting the Mobile Style Template... (see the Style Choice drop down box on the bottom left of site pages, or set it in your preferences)... should save KBs and easier to read on smaller screens...

e.g. Mobiles / PDAs with the Mobile style activated:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411&styleid=40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Tree wrote:

3 data only works in their 3G coverage. Outside of that you canonly get access to certain sections of my3.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

p.s. anyone who does want to actually surf boards.ie on the mobile, try activiting the Mobile Style Template... (see the Style Choice drop down box on the bottom left of site pages, or set it in your preferences)... should save KBs and easier to read on smaller screens...

e.g. Mobiles / PDAs with the Mobile style activated:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411&styleid=40

Very cool.

Very cool.

Pfft. That is like so last year. :D

I've used it the odd time, by my reckoning it costs around €4.00 to download the normal Boards.ie homepage, whereas it's around €0.60 for the mobile version, both on O2 prepay.

I don't too it too often, as you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

tom dunne wrote:
    Pfft. That is like so last year. :D

I've used it the odd time, by my reckoning it costs around €4.00 to download the normal Boards.ie homepage, whereas it's around €0.60 for the mobile version, both on O2 prepay.

I don't too it too often, as you can imagine.

Well I'm with three so my databundle will cover it. The only problem is whenever I log in on my phone, the moment I go to a new page I'm looged out. Must be a problem with the cookies (mmm cookies) on my phone or something. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im heading over in Aus for a couple of months and was thinking of getting a bundle from meteor so I could use Fring to ring another Fring at home. Would this be a cheaper option,considering I ring home every 3 days or so?

Advertisement