Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Meeting 31st January

Options
  • 28-01-2006 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

Air your views about the proposed €300m commercial "development" of Greytones Harbour. All views are welcome. The meeting is on:

TUESDAY 31ST JANUARY AT 8PM, GREYSTONES RUGBY CLUBThis post if for inforamtion and to conduct a poll only. If you want to voice your opinion, do so on the "Greystones Marina" thread. Thanks.

harbour.JPG

www.greystonesmarina.com

Greystones Marina, Go or No? 26 votes

YES, as planned, €300m development with 3 storey builds.
    0% 0 votes
    NO, it's to big and too ugly, yes to a smaller scale upgrade
    42% 11 votes
    No, leave it as it is
    57% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buildmarina

but will anyone tell the truth or will it be just more scare tacticts and bullying
    by people who do not want people to have a modern town with things to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

The above post if for information and to conduct a poll only. If you want to voice your opinion, PLEASE do so on the "Greystones Marina" thread. Well, it's actually spelt "Mariana", but there you go !

Thanks.

CAN THIS BE MADE INTO A "STICKY" PLEASE ?

A group will congregate outside the Town Council offices at 7pm to meet the councillors as they arrive for their meeting.

If you can make it your presence would be much appreciated and very effective. Feel free to bring children and pets! The aim is to have a quiet dignified protest.

Not a huge vote! But so far 87% against the current plans for the marina. It does appear that the people of Greystones are against this.

This information was extracted from the 6 volumes of reports and statements submitted by the developer with the applications:

-A truck will approach and leave the site every 2 minutes, past schools and houses, carrying the 900,000 tonnes of material required for construction.

-A MINIMUM of 5 years will be needed to complete the project. During this time you will not be able to access a significant part (if any) of the beach.

-A concrete processing plant will be erected on the beach. Concrete dust from this plant containing hazardous particles will be dispersed into the air and will be carried the best part of 1 Kilometre.

-A compulsory purchase order will ensure that several acres of beach and land are handed over to the developers. The general public will be refused access to this area forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

or 88% for marina development....

Development of the town and its amenities is a necessity.

When I was growing up I lived through the development of the Barley Field, where I would regularly play with my mates, into Hillside, Heatherview, and Tescos.

The scouts would occasionally use some of the Evans' farm (now Charlesland) for various activities.

SuperValu/Sam McCauley, MeridianPoint, The Woodlands, Charlesland GC, all these developments have inconvenienced somebody at some stage but in the end they have been a welcome addition to Greystones.

If my parents, or I, had protested against these developments the majority of the people that are against the current harbour proposal would not even be living in the town!

The needs of the many often outweigh the wishes of the few, and at sometime in all our lives we should be willing to make sacrifices for the greater good of the community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

Couldn't agree with you more sportbilly.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,869 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Anything that gives me more to do round the town (considering there is virtually nothing!) is welcome imo.

sportbilly wrote:
    or 88% for marina development....

Development of the town and its amenities is a necessity.

When I was growing up I lived through the development of the Barley Field, where I would regularly play with my mates, into Hillside, Heatherview, and Tescos.

The scouts would occasionally use some of the Evans' farm (now Charlesland) for various activities.

SuperValu/Sam McCauley, MeridianPoint, The Woodlands, Charlesland GC, all these developments have inconvenienced somebody at some stage but in the end they have been a welcome addition to Greystones.

If my parents, or I, had protested against these developments the majority of the people that are against the current harbour proposal would not even be living in the town!

The needs of the many often outweigh the wishes of the few, and at sometime in all our lives we should be willing to make sacrifices for the greater good of the community.
    :D:D

It is getting very vexing at this stage, to see this same sort of irrelevant post over and over again as I've said at least 5 times on the topic THERE IS A €30m compromise plan drawn up which will develop the harbour and it is costed to pay for itself with the provision of 70 houses.

And try to get some perspective...you are comparing a €300m, 900,000 tonne 5-7 year project to McCauleys :)

Please at least have the courtesy to read through the topic and educate yourself on what is on offer, or show up at meetings to inform yourself. I know ignorance is bliss, but there are many blissful people who get run over by traffic. People have to wake up to the devestating effect this will have on the town.

Now, find out about the €30m compromise plan and address this.

ps. The 87% against this, is evidenced in the poll above....your 88% is pulled out of a place I don't even want to consider, unless you have back up for this? Where were these people last night? I haven't met anyone in person who supports the plans.

Those in favour ARE the few!! You represent a tiny minority. "needs"? a 230 berth marina and 375 exclusive apartments...who "needs" that?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

lets keep it civil folks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Tauren wrote:
    Anything that gives me more to do round the town (considering there is virtually nothing!) is welcome imo.

They are building a boat marina. If you are interested in sailing have you though of joining Greystones Sailing Club? Im not being flippant here. Have a look at gsc.ie. We are always looking for new members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fiachra2 wrote:
    They are building a boat marina. If you are interested in sailing have you though of joining Greystones Sailing Club? Im not being flippant here. Have a look at gsc.ie. We are always looking for new members.

Fiachra, can you check your private messages? sent you one a week ago about the gsc.

Advertisement