Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheels Stolen :(

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

eireal wrote:
    Yep the locknut manufacturers reccomend only 1 nut per wheel,like you said there not as tight
    I use a torque wrench to set all my nuts at the same pressure.....how can this be :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

fletch wrote:
    I use a torque wrench to set all my nuts at the same pressure.....how can this be :confused::confused:

Could be the shape of the nut compared to the wheel. I don't have a clue to be honest, I just remembered reading it on another thread :confused:

Squirrel wrote:
    Could be the shape of the nut compared to the wheel. I don't have a clue to be honest, I just remembered reading it on another thread :confused:
    Does anybody else use a torque wrench to set their nuts to the correct pressure....I set mine as per manufacturers guidelines and you would be surprised how loose they actually are meant to be! Anytime I get any work done on my wheels, first thing I do when I get home is loosen all the nuts and tighten using the torque wrench.

In relation to locking nuts not being as tight as regular nuts, I emailed a leading supplier asking them to verify same. Here's the response I got
    Dear <insert my name>,

Thank you very much for your interest in our company and our high quality <supplier> wheel locks.

To give you the best information regarding your request we need to know the exact application

which you are asking for.

As we are delivering more than 30 car manufacturers as original equipment we can confirm that

due to the manufacturer’s specifications the <supplier> locking wheel nuts must have the same

measurements than the original fasteners.

In our Aftermarket product range there might be the possibility that the <supplier> wheel locks

differs in comparison to the original fasteners.

I hope that this will be of help to you.

If you have any further question please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards
    Doesn't really answer the question.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fletch wrote:
    Does anybody else use a torque wrench to set their nuts to the correct pressure....
    my nuts are under no pressure :D - as for my wheel bolts, my torque wrench got nicked recently but I guess my answer would be yes

fletch wrote:
    I set mine as per manufacturers guidelines and you would be surprised how loose they actually are meant to be! Anytime I get any work done on my wheels, first thing I do when I get home is loosen all the nuts and tighten using the torque wrench.
    one purpose of tightening them to the correct torque is to avoid damage to the wheel (especially with alloys). If Mr. Kwikfit air gunned them on to a higher torque setting he may well have damaged them by the time you get home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭zen63

Update:

No joy from the police, but i never expected there to be.

Hibernian have confirmed that they will cover the bill and that it will not affect my NCB - Thank God!

The bill totalled 2575euro, I opted for non-runflat tyres as the RFTs are pretty rubbish in Ireland. So that saved a healthy amount. I have also had locking wheel nuts fitted!

Overall, BMW assist were exceptionally good in handling the problem - they literally did everything for me, and even ensured that once I needed the hire car from longer than covered in their policy - that it was at a vastly reduced rate. Hibernian were good, I just got the impression one hand didnt know what the other was doing.

That being said the experience was not completly painfull, and a lot easier than I had expected.

Thanks for all your replys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

WOW there expensive wheels. at least ya got it sorted without effecting your insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

What size were the original wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭zen63

18 Inchers - the really strange thing is that they cost must more as an upgrade when the car was new, than they do as a service part - interesting that huh?

I will bear that in mind the next time i consider BMW optional extras.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I think VRT applies to extras when buying a new car but if they are bought afterwards then VRT doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

There still fairly expensive,if you liked your bling you could pick up 20" chrome wheels with tyres and have change for locknuts from the insurance payout!

Advertisement