Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What % of consumers/households in Ireland have internet access?

• 28-01-2006 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hey,

I cant find this information anywhere. Would someone kindly be able to offer to give me, or perhaps even link me to a website which gives the % of consumers in Ireland who have access to the internet? Or in other words, the % of households in Ireland with internet access?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Well most households have telephone line, therefore have internet access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Phone lines have fallen by nearly 20% possibly due to poor service coupled with most expensive line rental in Europe.

Many phone lines don't really work for dialup.

No-one really knows what proportion of lines on aDSL enabled exchanges actually work for BB (anecdotal evidence suggests maybe 25%).

I don't think anyone has accurate figures. Comreg doesn't measure it the same way as anyone else so as to make the figures look better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It appears to be below 40%; this country is quite backwards in terms of the Internet and PC penetration. It will hurts us in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In terms of daily use it might even be below 10%.

I know a lot of people that are on dialup. If I post a letter even in a few days time, they will read that before today's email. Maybe never read the email.

About 1/2 the people I know with Internet usage have broadband. Most of the other 1/2 want it but can't get it. One person had BB but went back to dialup as it was costing him more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Well thats what you get when we were forced to pay an arm and a leg for DialUp!!!

€130 for my last dialup bill with eircom.....now I pay less than a third of that for a connection 70 times faster from BT!!!

Those DialUp charges left a nasty taste in the average potential DSL customers mouth...and the idea of "untimed internet/freeing up phone line" access is actually beyond most people.

Advertisement