Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat fee conveyancing

Options
  • 28-01-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

We're considering making an offer on a new house. Does anyone here know of any solicitors that charge a flat fee instead of a percentage for conveyancing? Otherwise I'm looking at between €4500 and €6000 for an office junior to do the easiest job in the legal profession.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Macros42 wrote:
    We're considering making an offer on a new house. Does anyone here know of any solicitors that charge a flat fee instead of a percentage for conveyancing? Otherwise I'm looking at between €4500 and €6000 for an office junior to do the easiest job in the legal profession.

As said in a few other post here, a few mortgage brokers do it if you run through them. you can probably keep your exsisting approval and run through them. Look up the links at the top of the page. I used First Credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I don't particularly want to use a broker. I want to use my current mortgage holder and get my own solicitor.

Macros42 wrote:
    Otherwise I'm looking at between €4500 and €6000 for an office junior to do the easiest job in the legal profession.

Now you'll pay a fraction of that to get the office secretary...

The scale fee is 1% plus €100. That can be negotiated. But either way,no matter who says what, there is no Solicitor in the country spending a few hours or maybe even days at a conveyancing transactoin for €600.

the house we're looking at is €600000 so that's €6000 for conveyancing which any solicitor will tell you is a piece of pi$$ - absolutely ridiculous. Somebody pm-ed me the name of a solicitor - I'll give them a ring and it they're flat rate then I'll post the name here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I'd expect a flat rater to do the lot for €1500 tops incl vat ....note that solicitors do not quote VAT unless pushed, at least in my experience.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    the house we're looking at is €600000 so that's €6000 for conveyancing which any solicitor will tell you is a piece of pi$$ - absolutely ridiculous.

As I said, negotiate with them. Still better to have a Solicitor do your conveyancing rather than a secretary. In my experience, you'll find all the problems when you sell, or at least that's if the person buying engages a Solicitor...

Rather than posting the name of the flat fee conveyancer, why not post the name of the Solicitor who examined the title and said it was 'a piece of pi$$'. That would be much more interesting...unless you're going on ignorance and assumption of course...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

As I said, negotiate with them. Still better to have a Solicitor do your conveyancing rather than a secretary.

I know of solicitors who get their Legal Secretary to do most of the conveyancing work in their office .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Well, I found a solicitor that agreed to do conveyancing for a flat fee, I'm not sure I'd recommend him as he's a lazy bum, but at least he's cheap. 950 euro (+VAT) and he's based in Phibsboro which was handy enough for me.

My previous solicitors, which were recommended to us, charged a percentage and agreed to give us a discount but it still brought the figure to around 3 grand. When we went sale agreed my wife and I spent a couple of weeks trying to get in touch with them. Simply couldn't get them to call us back or talk to us, we got as far as the secretary, and then decided it's time to look for a different solicitor.

So my experience so far is that the whole bunch of them are lazy, useless rip-offs, but this one at least picks up the phone every now and then - providing you pester him long enough.

Like I said, I wouldn't recommend this new one either, but if you want his details send me a PM. At least he's cheap. That's about the only good thing I can say about him.

If anyone wants details of a Solicitor who works in the middle of Dublin (Capel Street), can meet weekends, will give you his mobile so will never be hard to contact, is cheap and will give a quote, and is a gentleman, PM me and I'll give you a contact number for him.

As I said, negotiate with them. Still better to have a Solicitor do your conveyancing rather than a secretary. In my experience, you'll find all the problems when you sell, or at least that's if the person buying engages a Solicitor...

Rather than posting the name of the flat fee conveyancer, why not post the name of the Solicitor who examined the title and said it was 'a piece of pi$$'. That would be much more interesting...unless you're going on ignorance and assumption of course...
    Why do you keep mentioning secretaries? Solicitors give most of the conveyancing job to their most junior staff member is what I meant. And my statement is actually verbatim from a solicitor. So now can you offer anything constructive or relevant to my original question or are your replies just going to be insulting?

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    So now can you offer anything constructive or relevant to my original question or are your replies just going to be insulting?
    If anyone wants details of a Solicitor who works in the middle of Dublin (Capel Street), can meet weekends, will give you his mobile so will never be hard to contact, is cheap and will give a quote, and is a gentleman, PM me and I'll give you a contact number for him.

Sheesh, you try to help...:rolleyes:

Alternatively, there are monkeys at Dublin zoo that are traine...nah, forget it...

Advertisement