Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Irish news

• 28-01-2006 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What do people think of the new Google News site with the Irish news?

I like it - except that it's dominated by Northern politics, generally of little interest to most people in the Republic (in fact, stunningly boring and repetitive).

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

http://news.google.com/news?ned=en_ie&topic=n

..."dominated by Northern politics"???

At the time of posting, two stories about NI or linked in any real way to "Northern politics" - "Governments consider IMC report" from newspapers etc, and "1916: commemorations north and south" vie Slugger O'Toole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

luckat wrote:

I like it - except that it's dominated by Northern politics, generally of little interest to most people in the Republic (in fact, stunningly boring and repetitive).
    Are you on UTV? Because that could be causing a bias on the story weighting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

No, on Irish Broadband at home and a big dedicated server located in Dublin at work.

Today for the first time it seems to have balanced out - maybe they were watching Irish users sample the non-North stories then exit to RTE, IOL Breaking News and breakingnews.ie and changed the balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

luckat wrote:

i think google should stick to what they know.-search engines.
    Looks like they want to get a hand in everything which as
    far as im concerned is a very bad thing-look at microsoft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I find the Irish news completely lacking to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Slice wrote:
    I find the Irish news completely lacking to be honest.

Lacking what?
    In fairness it's just an aggregator of the bigger (and even smaller) news outlets so the content isn't decided by google, it's decided by RTE, The Indo, TCM etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I like the concept, but the standard google bare bones interface doesn't work for me - it's just too ugly to look at! Much prefer the presentation of the eircom.net news aggregator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

you can't really blame google for the news thats on it because it takes it from different news sources "Ireland Online, Bray People, Irish Health, Belfast Telegraph, BBC News Northern Ireland,Irish Independent, Irish Times" etc. they don't actually write the news on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

eoin_s wrote:
    I like the concept, but the standard google bare bones interface doesn't work for me - it's just too ugly to look at! Much prefer the presentation of the eircom.net news aggregator.

The problem is Eircom.net is not a real news aggregator (not like other web news aggregators, anyway). More like just a provider of syndicated news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

How mechanical is Google's newsgathering?

If the "Irish news" section was based on the stories being read by the people in all of Ireland, obviously the news about the North would sink back under the other stuff, because the population is four times the size in the Republic.

It *reads* as if it's being gathered by humans - by people who believe they know what the big Irish stories are, but are not in touch with their market.

(By the way, I have to ask - I'm not being rude or anything, but is that "wierd" in your sig deliberately spelled like that, Flogen? Makes me flinch every time I see it, so if it's deliberate, it's doing its job!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

luckat wrote:
    How mechanical is Google's newsgathering?

If the "Irish news" section was based on the stories being read by the people in all of Ireland, obviously the news about the North would sink back under the other stuff, because the population is four times the size in the Republic.

It *reads* as if it's being gathered by humans - by people who believe they know what the big Irish stories are, but are not in touch with their market.

From my non-techie guessing it gathers the stories from Irish news outlets depending on words used etc. and I think the story sequence is chosen by the amount of stories a subject has; so if a story about Gerry Adams is coming in from 20 different outlets, and another about Bertie Ahern is coming in from 14, the Gerry Adams story gets a higher 'rank'.
    So, in a way it is picking the stories that people think is more important, because it's the stories that are written about more.

Advertisement