Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange problem

• 28-01-2006 2:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Ok, since the upgrades, I am on 2048 down, 256 up, my router verifies this.

I have my router connected to another, wireless router, and 2 PC's, one connected wirelessly, running ubuntu 5.10, the other wired to the linksys wireless router, running win xp

It seems that only my ubuntu pc is being affected by the speed upgrade?
    Download the same file, same server, the ubuntu pc gets 200kb/s + but the wired XP Pc cannot break 100kb/s?

I installed ubuntu a day or two after the upgrade, so I was wondering if there are some settings I should change on the XP pc??

Also odd, is the ubuntu pc reports the 1mb/s on bandwithplace.com, and the XP pc reports around 900k on the same test, yet the ubuntu box holds a steady 200kb/s download??

Very confused here, any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Also odd, is the ubuntu pc reports the 1mb/s on bandwithplace.com, and the XP pc reports around 900k on the same test, yet the ubuntu box holds a steady 200kb/s download??

Very confused here, any advice would be much appreciated

Those speed testers are only indications of what your connection is capable of and work on theidea of downloading small amounts of data(5/10mbytes) and measuring how long it takes.
    If your located in Ireland and the speedtester is located in Hawaii then your going to get a fraction of your actual connection as a result.

in the real world your going to be using your connection for dwnloading/uploading .....so trust what you get when you actually do those things with large files.
    I get ~320KBytes/s on my 3m connection downloading files...so that is how fast I view my conncection no matter what a speed test tell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

yeh, i didn't think it would be hugely accurate, however, it is still odd that I pc downloads faster than the other?

Especially as the older pc, with wireless, downloads faster o.o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

what default MTU settings does Umbuntu set on your NIC? might explain the differences in speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Kinda weird how the wireless one is faster than the wired, and that you actually got your wireless NIC to *work* in Linux ^_^
    I have a similar set up (2 PCs with Win2k and Ubuntu on both and 2Mb BT ADSL) but haven't compared downloads yet...

Actually, it was suprisingly easy to get it working with ndiswrapper. Never used linux before, and got it working within 20 mins

• Advertisement

Anybody? =(

I also check by booting into windows on the ubuntu PC, and the downloads are slow on that. Must be something to do with ubuntu settings

Advertisement