Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAI To Take over.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Still don't think we managed to play a home game in Dublin yet.

Are Rovers finally going to sort out the "bad" element in your support?

Well we saved you a journey there!

We acknowledge that there is an element there and have issued barring orders to about a dozen individuals. There is also a bad element in your support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Still don't think we managed to play a home game in Dublin yet.

Unfortunatley, around the time of the Bishopstown debacle, City played a home game in the RDS. This wasnt in the round robin for the league title in 1992.
    :(

gimmick wrote:
    Unfortunatley, around the time of the Bishopstown debacle, City played a home game in the RDS. This wasnt in the round robin for the league title in 1992.
    :(

Really? I dont remember that.

You "won" that title in 1993

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

speriamo wrote:
    Applehunter we are the template for running a club in this league NOW. Everything the club does now is transparent and open.

Yes you are correct, now all every other club has to do is cheat and lie and forge documents go into administration and be saved by it, then have all their debts wiped and be allowed to still operate, have your tax bill rounded down to a quid a week or somfin. And thats it your the template for every other club in the league.

/Me rings Pats chairman.......

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

speriamo wrote:
    Really? I dont remember that.

You "won" that title in 1993

Typo. Sorry.

KdjaC wrote:
    Yes you are correct, now all every other club has to do is cheat and lie and forge documents go into administration and be saved by it, then have all their debts wiped and be allowed to still operate, have your tax bill rounded down to a quid a week or somfin. And thats it your the template for every other club in the league.

/Me rings Pats chairman.......

kdjac

Is there a part of NOW that you dont understand?:rolleyes: The club is run properly and professionally NOW.

It was the fans who pointed out to the FAI that our previous board had sent in the same accounts 2 years running.

It was hardly a long term plan to go into administration. It was that or be liquidated. The creditors were happy that we didnt get liquidated otherwise they would have got nothing.

Coming from a club that lost a league title because you couldnt properly register a player is rich.

Listen the sooner you get that anti Rovers chip off your shoulder the better. Its getting old at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Article in Todays Indo, Rovers fans won't like it!

Bootroom - Gerry McDermott

WITH no promotion and relegation the new Eircom League season is going to be one massive beauty contest as the 22 clubs put on their best smiles to impress the FAI judges.

Stringfellows may be the glamour gig for 2006 but from next year the biggest party in town will be the FAI Premier League with only the very best being invited to strut their stuff in this exclusive club.

It is not known yet what criteria the judges are going to use to determine who gets the sought after invites and whether there will be 10 or 12 places available at the party.

So, until the criteria is clarified there is going to be a fair bit of posing and a few last minute cosmetic jobs have already been scheduled.

Nobody denies that the League of Ireland badly needs a massive overhaul but one hopes that when the FAI get around to judging this particular contest that they don't merely judge a club by the number of existing admirers they have.

The main criteria for membership of the new Premier Division should be sporting criteria. If a club does the business on the pitch then it should be eligible to seek a Premier Division licence.

With FAI Club Licensing well established at this stage it provides an ideal system for assessing the rest of the criteria like infrastructure, finance and administration. In order to maximise the impact of the new Premier League, the FAI are keen to ensure that there is a national look to it. Having six clubs out of ten or 12 teams from Dublin would result in a distinctly unbalanced set-up.

Overload

Avoiding such a Dublin overload is taxing the minds of the FAI at present as they try to decide how best to proceed for next year.

The simplest way to solve the capital conundrum would be to limit the number of Dublin teams in the Premier Division to four and the best way to calculate who stays and who goes is to work out a co-efficient based on the league results of the 2004, 2005 and 2006 seasons.

Premier Division points would carry a weighting of 1.5 and the total number of points would be divided by the number of games played to produce the co-efficient.

Using this system, the rankings of the six Dublin teams going into the 2006 season are: Shelbourne 2.94, Bohemians 2.28, UCD 1.89, St Patrick's Athletic 1.60, Shamrock Rovers 1.41, Dublin City 1.34.

So, at the end of 2006 all the FAI have to do is calculate the three year co-efficient and then examine if the top four Dublin clubs fulfil the licensing requirements for the new Premier League. If they do, they are in and the other two Dublin clubs move to the First Division.

Some will argue that could mean UCD gaining a place in the Premier Division at the expense of Shamrock Rovers and the answer to that is "so what?"

A ceiling on the number of Dublin clubs in the Premier League would give them a chance to grow and possibly prosper and if the FAI does their job properly there should be plenty of marketing support available to help clubs grow their support base.

UCD are the only League of Ireland team in the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown area where there is a population of 200,000. If that were a provincial town there would be no question about their suitability to be members of the new-look Premier League.

Planning permission is currently being sought for the development of the Belfield Bowl to bring it into line with UEFA licensing criteria and with the UCD soccer club going to share it with the UCD rugby club, then surely Government demands are being satisfied given both play in the top flight.

Ground-Sharing

What's to stop Dublin City ground-sharing with Clontarf seeing that ground-sharing is going to be all the rage in the capital! It certainly wouldn't be any different to Shels and Bohs going to Dalymount or Rovers and St Pat's to Tallaght.

The FAI also has a duty to support the First Division and its clubs much better than in the past. The transformation of the lower league into a wilderness is completely down to neglect from those whose job it was to nurture it.

FAI Chief Executive John Delaney has already established his commitment to the League of Ireland by his actions over the past 12 months. Prize money rose by 300 per cent and television coverage rose from five live games to 29. Add in the opportunities for more prize money and television coverage from the Setanta Cup and it is a pretty impressive contribution from Delaney.

One doesn't doubt his ability to rejuvenate the Eircom League but hopefully when Delaney looks at the 22 clubs before him on the catwalk, he remembers that beauty is only skin deep and the FAI cannot afford to have bimbos in their new look Premier League.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independe...issue_id=13623

Thats McDermotts thoughts on what MIGHT happen. There are a lot of criteria to be decided but a limit on Dublin clubs in the premier is ludicrous.

Cant take what he says seriously anymore since he wrote a rambling inane article on the fact that there was cursing at a Rovers match last season. This from a guy who's from Dundalk:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

seansouth wrote:
    Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Let's have a closer look at your post here, I have taken the liberty of bolding some of it, to draw attention to certain aspect I would like to discuss.
    Fair enough, let's discuss.
    seansouth wrote:
    "Stupidity" of having 60% of teams from Dublin. Well, a system operates in the eL, you might be familiar with it, it's called Promotion and Relegation. There are two divisions, The Premier Division and the First Division. What uaually happens at the end of each season is that the teams that finish the lowest in one (The Premier), swap places with the ones that finish the highest in the other (The First).

Really? I wasn't aware of how a league format works. Thank you for a very informative post, how can I subscribe to your news letter?

oh, and that's how it's done in a functional, sucsessful, respectable, non-shambles league...yeah, we got rid of this whole promotion/relegation thing
    seansouth wrote:
    Now, how exactly is it "Stupid" that certain teams, over a number of years, have performed better than certain other teams, and deserve their place in the Premier Division. Would you prefer a contrived league, where geographical locale comes ahead of on-field honours to determine which teams participate in which division? I really am interested in reading your answer to this. A simple yes or no will suffice.
    Sorry to not meet your yes/no criteria, but I will elaberate on your question if i could be so bold. The current set-up is completely unbalanced, and as a result our national league is in crisis, always has been, and despite all the reports and "solutions", it always will be. Read my origional post to know how I think it should be restructerd. But something dramatic and extreme needs to be done.
    seansouth wrote:
    You obviously have no interest in the eL at all. Can I ask which team you do support, then I'll ask if you would like to see them merged with their main rivals.
    No, I don't think there needs to be a merger, or even throw the el teams in the bin, if you read my previous post, you would see I think a whole new set-up and national league and regionalisation is what's needed. The el can still go exactly as they're going, even as a feeder league, but it's a joke for a national league.
    seansouth wrote:
    I'm not saying people who don't support the eL shouldn't have an opinion on it, but what I will say is that people who don't have an interest in the eL shouldn't make ill informed comments, especially not in the tone you took in that particular post.
    I was being sarcastic..don't be offended so easily.
    seansouth wrote:
    It's people like this that give others a bad name, and it is people like this that make genuine fans of the eL suspicious of anyone other than eL fans having opinions on anything to do with the eL. I am sick of it on these boards. People with no interest in the eL piping up all over the place with derisive comments and ill informed crap, treating the eL as a joke.
    Well I'm entitled to my opinion. Just because you don't like it, dosen't make it any less valid.
    seansouth wrote:
    Yes, you are entitled to your opinion,
    thank you, we agree.
    seansouth wrote:
    but please don't post in a serious eL thread, where what you have to say is obviously only to wind people up, or have a go at the eL.
    I'm not trying to wind anyone up, I just think if anything is completely failing, in financial crisis, there is absolutely no demand for it and is a national embarressment, you need to have more than a "go" at it, you need to completely restructer it.
    seansouth wrote:
    We are all aware of the problems the eL has, we have been supporting it for long enough, we could do without you and your type pointing out what has been obvious to us for years. Do you think we can't see the problems for ourselves?
    So is it just that you don't want to address them or admit to them? Don't discuss and they'll go away? It has more than just problems..it has critical and fundemental flaws.
    seansouth wrote:
    I would love to have this debate with anyone who will come here and not resort to this type of posting. Frankly, if you have nothing informed to say, then keep your nose out of what doesn't concern you.
    It's my national league. It concerns me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

well hasn't this thread gotten a little hostile? and isn't it funny how the anti-rovers contingent raise their ugly heads at every given junture?

1st off, if we got merged with pats i think i'd stop supporting the st pats shamrocks or whatever name they lump em with, on the basis that i support shamrock rovers not anyone else, regardless od how good or bad we do i'm a hoop end of.

I presume the Bohs, Shels and pats contingent wouldn't be too keen on bing "merged" with other clubs, will dub city and ucd merge? thats about the only one that makes sence, just on the basis that both clubs are very small, BUT I would imagine the supporters would agree, and i wouldn't blame them. No to ANY teams merging

Im not a fan of ground sharing having the guts of 20 years (the majority of my life) doing so i want OUR stadium i want to see green and white all over it i don't want to see bohs/pats/shels crests etc. no disrespect to those clubs but they would prob feel the same

about the hooligan element in the club that applehunter brought up we, much as the majority of the D1/EL teams do have a hooligan element, we HAD the largest, we moved on them and syphened most of em out. i think if we are discussing this we start a new thread titled the hooligan suport in the EL, not drag this off topic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

DubGuy wrote:
    It's my national league. It concerns me.

If yourself, and more people like yourself, actually bothered to drag yourself away from your Sky Sports playing televisions we wouldn't be having this discussion. You say it "conerns" you, do something about it - spouting uninformed facts on a messageboard won't do any good...

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps you do go to games etc, but your posts seem as if they are written from the point of view of someone who's never seen a game in their life.

National embarassment? Well, again if this is based upon your whopping informed stats that you gathered while watching English football with no clue on Irish football, I'll avoid comment...

If you are looking for national embarassment, it is the fact that Irish people prefer to pump millions into the English economy because of uniformed preconceived notions about football here. (And then love nothing more than to see the English team fail... nothing makes me cringe more and wish I was born a turtle than seeing morons in Premiership jerseys screaming abuse at the English "scum"* on the telly when the national team play).

*Their words, not mine. Hence the quotation marks.

Advertisement