Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this true..............?

• 28-01-2006 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

I am currently a Strencom customer. Before the "big" upgrade I was on their top package i.e. 4mbit down/256kbps up.When the upgrade came into effect my router showed me that I was upgraded to 5mbit down/512kbps up. Only a few days ago I noticed that the speeds were slower than normal. So i logged into the router and low and behold i was on 4mbit down/384 kbps up!! Contacted Strencom about this and they told me my line may not me suitable for this connection? Is this a load of old cobbler's or the truth?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds like BS to me. Of course it is possible your line may not handle the higher speeds but I think it's a bit more than coincidence that your speeds dropped back to the exact speeds of the lower package.
    It should sync at some speed in between with RADSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Strencom support have contacted me over this matter with the following reply.....

We have checked with the exchange team on this fault.

When your line was upgraded it did sync for a while at 5m/512k however
    the error rate on both the upstream and downstream connection was very
    high. which would have resulted in high packet loss and a reduced
    through-put due to error correction. As a result your line has been
    automatically downgraded to the lower service to preserve your quality
    of service.

Now does this make sense or what? Is anyone else having this problem?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Strencom support have contacted me over this matter with the following reply.....

We have checked with the exchange team on this fault.

When your line was upgraded it did sync for a while at 5m/512k however
    the error rate on both the upstream and downstream connection was very
    high. which would have resulted in high packet loss and a reduced
    through-put due to error correction. As a result your line has been
    automatically downgraded to the lower service to preserve your quality
    of service.

Now does this make sense or what? Is anyone else having this problem?

Lots of people have this problem as a result of the various upgrades - lines which are capable of slower speeds are not necessarily capable of the faster speeds. Certainly the Smart upgrade has shown up weaknesses in my own line.

Strencom may actually have saved you a lot of disconnection problems.

Have a look at this thread and then have a look at your own figures.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054875406

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

It's already happening to a few people, just look for the posts talking about disconnects since the upgrade. This happened last year as well. People who couldn't connect at the full 2mbit/sec were forced to connect at a lower speed. Otherwise you would get constant disconnections.

It is usually due to either your distance from your local exchange or the quality of your phone line. All I can suggest is that you contact both Strencom and Eircom and get your line checked.

Btw, at least your upload is *a little* faster :)

- Neil

Advertisement